3D Hobby Shop 71" AJ Slick - Build & Fly thread - Page 755 - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Nov 28, 2010, 09:55 PM
Registered User
vienquach's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draknkep
As long as you don't have cats that like to climb.... I am going to do a free standing version, as I have to build three racks, and don't want to put that many holes in the wall, but as we have earthquakes out here, I have to put some bungee cords around the planes. You normally don't have to worry about that in Chi-town...

Just out of curiosity how far apart are the brackets? They look like the perfect spacing.

SteveT
I have no cat, and usually my room is closed.

They are 24" apart. Work great for my Slick and SC.

Without battery, the weight distribution on those is ~ 40 (tail) / 60 (nose).

Will start building my Blue 51" Slick tomorrow. Still thinking about getting the 57" SC. I want to do a light weight setup for the small SC with 2 x 3s-2200 30c.

Vien
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Nov 28, 2010, 10:29 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by vienquach
I have no cat, and usually my room is closed.

They are 24" apart. Work great for my Slick and SC.

Without battery, the weight distribution on those is ~ 40 (tail) / 60 (nose).

Will start building my Blue 51" Slick tomorrow. Still thinking about getting the 57" SC. I want to do a light weight setup for the small SC with 2 x 3s-2200 30c.

Vien
Thanks...

SteveT
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Nov 28, 2010, 10:37 PM
Registered User
GoldCraft's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by starzen
Almost lost my slick yesterday

Was flying level and all of a sudden it pulls into a 45 degree upline. i got it under control and started a landing approach but it was as if the elevator would keep going up and down. I did get it down without too much damage (LG gear pulled out and broke a little piece of the landing gear)

When i picked it up i found that one of the wing bolts had come loose enough for the anti rotation pins to come out

Guess if you are flying gas check your wing bolts between flights. We where tuning the engine and i hadnt checked them before that next flight

Luckily it didnt get destroyed and the damage is minimal
I almost did the same thing once....a fellow flyer noticed a slight gap between the fuse and wing on one side before I blasted off. I have to take my canopy off to refuel so I now check un when I refuel. Glad your damage was minimal.
Nov 29, 2010, 10:13 AM
Ta-dah!
blakevan's Avatar
What are people using for spacers on the Hacker 12L? I was thinking a few washers but if there is a better idea I'm all for copying someone's smart idea.
Nov 29, 2010, 10:20 AM
Registered User
Lonelasso's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by starzen
Almost lost my slick yesterday

Was flying level and all of a sudden it pulls into a 45 degree upline. i got it under control and started a landing approach but it was as if the elevator would keep going up and down. I did get it down without too much damage (LG gear pulled out and broke a little piece of the landing gear)

When i picked it up i found that one of the wing bolts had come loose enough for the anti rotation pins to come out

Guess if you are flying gas check your wing bolts between flights. We where tuning the engine and i hadnt checked them before that next flight

Luckily it didnt get destroyed and the damage is minimal
DangiT Glad to hear you were able to get it down !
Wondering if teflon tape *might* be a good idea ? I'm using the new metal wing bolts in a 'hand-me-down' SR and noticed one was loose after first flight
Nov 29, 2010, 10:30 AM
Registered User
starzen's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonelasso
DangiT Glad to hear you were able to get it down !
Wondering if teflon tape *might* be a good idea ? I'm using the new metal wing bolts in a 'hand-me-down' SR and noticed one was loose after first flight
was thinking about a rubber washer or something like that too. Will watch it from now on. it wasnt just one flight. i think 2 or 3 flights and a good amount of engine tuning on the ground

just getting the lg plate fixed up. looks like one of the blind nuts was already missing before i got the slick. didnt notice it.
Nov 29, 2010, 11:13 AM
ExtremeFlightRC.com
horton's Avatar
These bonded washers look promising for keeping screws/bolts secure.
Nov 29, 2010, 12:17 PM
Here We Go!
Safety Hawk's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakevan
What are people using for spacers on the Hacker 12L? I was thinking a few washers but if there is a better idea I'm all for copying someone's smart idea.
I used some of those plastic APC prop adapters.
Nov 29, 2010, 12:30 PM
Ta-dah!
blakevan's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety Hawk
I used some of those plastic APC prop adapters.

I knew you guys would come through! I have a ton of those sitting in my spares bin.
Nov 29, 2010, 12:38 PM
Registered User
GoldCraft's Avatar
To keep the wing blots in place you can use 1/4" of fuel line tubing slid onto the bolt....it will compress when tightened damping any vibration that would loosen the bolt. I still check um between flights though....no problems at all since doing this.
Last edited by GoldCraft; Nov 29, 2010 at 12:44 PM.
Nov 29, 2010, 02:10 PM
You down with EPP?
johnnyrocco123's Avatar

6S Hacker For Slick & Osiris


While I wait for the Motrolfly Motors....


I have wanted more power on my Osiris anyways... What Hacker motor would be good for both the 70" Slick and Osiris on 6S????


I figure I will run my Slick on a Hacker for a while and when I get the Motorlfly motor I will put the Hacker on my Osiris.
Nov 29, 2010, 02:24 PM
Registered User
robj's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123
While I wait for the Motrolfly Motors....


I have wanted more power on my Osiris anyways... What Hacker motor would be good for both the 70" Slick and Osiris on 6S????


I figure I will run my Slick on a Hacker for a while and when I get the Motorlfly motor I will put the Hacker on my Osiris.
With your need for power, you should have gone 8s like mine. Then you could have used those Stryker batteries you talked about. Both flights the other day only used 50% of the batteries in the 5-6 minutes. So 8 minute flights should be easy. I'm guessing with 8s 7200mah I'm about a half pound heavier than the 6s setup with a 5000(have you weighed your yet?). I'm still going to try 2 of the nano 2650 4s tied together for 5300mah. That will lighten my plane by 10oz.

On my first 2 flights, the hovers and harriers didn't seem take to much throttle. I never got a full WOT either.

Rob
Nov 29, 2010, 02:32 PM
You down with EPP?
johnnyrocco123's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj
With your need for power, you should have gone 8s like mine. Then you could have used those Stryker batteries you talked about. Both flights the other day only used 50% of the batteries in the 5-6 minutes. So 8 minute flights should be easy. I'm guessing with 8s 7200mah I'm about a half pound heavier than the 6s setup with a 5000(have you weighed your yet?). I'm still going to try 2 of the nano 2650 4s tied together for 5300mah. That will lighten my plane by 10oz.

On my first 2 flights, the hovers and harriers didn't seem take to much throttle. I never got a full WOT either.

Rob
I'm only looking for extra power on the Osiris. I have 6S packs so I need to stick with 6S.

There should be a motor that will fit the bill for both planes.....?
Nov 29, 2010, 02:42 PM
Registered User
starzen's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldCraft
To keep the wing blots in place you can use 1/4" of fuel line tubing slid onto the bolt....it will compress when tightened damping any vibration that would loosen the bolt. I still check um between flights though....no problems at all since doing this.
good idea also. i just picked up some neoprene washers at Ace and will use those.

just finished fixing my slick. Just need a new prop and she'll be ready again
Nov 29, 2010, 04:22 PM
Registered User
stickybeatz's Avatar
I made up some vector files in illustrator for my slick to replicate the scheme found on the slickaircraft.com photo gallery. If anyone wants a zip file containing the AI's, lemme know. Some of the sizes may need to be tweaked a bit, but I think it's pretty close as is. I'll find out once the vinyls are back from the sign shop.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Poll 3D hobby shop 51" slick or 55" SHP? appleflyer 3D Flying 24 Mar 24, 2009 07:29 PM
Video 3D Hobby Shop's AJ Slick Clark Warfel Electric Plane Talk 3 May 08, 2008 08:31 AM