Dec 27, 2009, 08:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brycycles
FM,
Thanks for the heads-up. It is a Reaper 60! I could have sworn last year when I bought it would work for 6s(smaller prop). Didn't I see someone doing 6s test with it? I have already tested with a 5s 5300 TP and got just about 1400watts. I recall it was 80amps which was pushing the limit.
OOps, I will look into this......Thanks again! How is that Scorpion motor working? Is this the motor of choice? Which one and where did you purchase? You guys rock!
Bryce
I'm sure you are already aware at this point but that motor runs best on 4S with a 15x8 prop. U don't want to fire that up with a 6S pack.

Carlo
to remove ads between posts
Dec 27, 2009, 09:00 PM
I work for ExtremeFlightRC
..also, at 7,000ft altitude, a GG-60 is good for about a 5-6 lb plane...not a 9lb one.
Dec 27, 2009, 09:45 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cayars
I'm sure you are already aware at this point but that motor runs best on 4S with a 15x8 prop. U don't want to fire that up with a 6S pack.

Carlo
I was getting 1300watts out of a gr60 with a 14x7E prop on 4s and 2000watts and 124amps with a 15x8E. So I stayed with a 14x7E Thats was in the 75oz 55 edge
Dec 27, 2009, 10:57 PM
Scott Stoops
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadamian75
Brycycles,

RC4x4 and me are very happy with the Rimfire 1.20. Lots of people are also very happy with the Scorpion 4025-12.

Joe
I'm happy with both.
Dec 28, 2009, 12:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic
I was getting 1300watts out of a gr60 with a 14x7E prop on 4s and 2000watts and 124amps with a 15x8E. So I stayed with a 14x7E Thats was in the 75oz 55 edge
Please don't take this the wrong way as I know you are only reporting what you have seen BUT these numbers just don't seem right. Your 14x7 numbers seem more in line with what others have posted on a 15x8. Your 15x8 just seems out of this world out there on the watts/amp readings. Many of the common watt meters start to get unreliable reading when you get near 100 amp mark and it also happens to be the burst limit on many of them (70 amp/100 burst).

Gaining 700 watts just doesn't seem possible. 124 amps seems like it would kill the motor quite quickly.

What speed controller were you using that ran that many amps?

What meter were you using?

Do you by any chance have a 2nd Reaper 60?

Carlo

PS I haven't thrown a watt meter on my Reaper 60s in quite a while but I think I'm getting about 1300 watts from a 15x8.
Dec 28, 2009, 12:50 AM
Well, lost the Slick today. My ICE 100 failed. Motor stopped, wouldn't re-start with cycling the throttle, let the smoke out then took its BEC with it. Airframe and battery total loss. Everything else looks ok. Tested the servos, receiver and motor tonight. Everything looks good. I have learned the lesson that you should separate the BEC from the ESC wherever possible. Oh well, live and learn. NOW I am trying to decide what to get to replace it. I am thinking of the 89" with a DA50 using the servos I had in the 70" plus a 7955 for the rudder. A friend of mine has a spare DA50 and regs that he is willing to sell. Gonna send the ESC to Castle and see what they can do... I know they have a great rep and have helped me a few times, so I am going to see what they say.

Gonna miss the plane though. She was too young to die.

Mike
Dec 28, 2009, 01:09 AM
Test your skills....fly IMAC!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash McCrash
Well, lost the Slick today. My ICE 100 failed. Motor stopped, wouldn't re-start with cycling the throttle, let the smoke out then took its BEC with it. Airframe and battery total loss. Everything else looks ok. Tested the servos, receiver and motor tonight. Everything looks good. I have learned the lesson that you should separate the BEC from the ESC wherever possible. Oh well, live and learn. NOW I am trying to decide what to get to replace it. I am thinking of the 89" with a DA50 using the servos I had in the 70" plus a 7955 for the rudder. A friend of mine has a spare DA50 and regs that he is willing to sell. Gonna send the ESC to Castle and see what they can do... I know they have a great rep and have helped me a few times, so I am going to see what they say.

Gonna miss the plane though. She was too young to die.

Mike
Mike,

Did your ICE 100 have the goop/silicon applied to the capacitors? Just curious, sorry to hear about the loss.

Tim
Dec 28, 2009, 01:28 AM
Mike,

Sorry for the Slick Loss. You must have really liked the plane if your thinking of going bigger.

Joe
Dec 28, 2009, 01:38 AM
Man dude... Sorry to hear about your loss.
Dec 28, 2009, 02:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFisher1421
Oh...and a followup...anyone hear when the ICE 100's and BEC Pro's will be back in stock...well...anywhere?
Looks like the ICE 100s and BEC Pros are in stock at RRe Models

http://www.rremodels.com/phoenixice100.aspx
Dec 28, 2009, 08:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun.flyer
Mike,

Did your ICE 100 have the goop/silicon applied to the capacitors? Just curious, sorry to hear about the loss.

Tim
Tim,

Not sure about the Goop. I didn't think to check it before mounting it in the plane. It was a recent purchase from Todd's Models, but still could have been from the original lot.

Thanks for the condolences. Please don't send flowers, donations can be made to the RSFSMC(Replacement Slick for Smash McCrash) charity.

Mike

Mike
Dec 28, 2009, 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadamian75
Mike,

Sorry for the Slick Loss. You must have really liked the plane if your thinking of going bigger.

Joe
Joe,

Heck yeah. That Slick was easily the nicest flying plane in my stable. If it weren't for my heli's, it would have been used a lot more (batteries shared between the Slick and my T-rex 600.) Also, if I couldn't fit a 50cc in my truck, I would be replacing the 70" immediately.

Mike
Dec 28, 2009, 08:43 AM
Fly Low-Crash-Rebuild-Repeat !
Sorry to hear it Mike,,

I definitely know what it feels like!

Re: Goop, that's something you do yourself. Don't know if Castle has corrected that yet in production.

Fred
Dec 28, 2009, 09:45 AM
doh!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorJockey
Sorry to hear it Mike,,

I definitely know what it feels like!

Re: Goop, that's something you do yourself. Don't know if Castle has corrected that yet in production.

Fred
They have, the ones from castle have a black rubbery substance all over the end capacitor leads. I have two 100's and one 75 ice controller. The 75 and one 100 didn't have it. The other 100 did. One of my 75's lost a capacitor mid flight, but the ESC kept on working fine. Landed and heard a rattling inside it, and was a bit disturbed at seeing a capacitor rattling around!! Checked my other two and called Castle, they said just to apply shoe goo all over the one without the black stuff.
Dec 28, 2009, 10:02 AM
OOPS
ouch Mike!sorry to hear that for sure.that sucks big time bro..

Quick Reply