Aug 13, 2019, 02:02 AM
Was the Slick 71 a better plane the Slick 89?

I know, silly question, diffrent size....
to remove ads between posts
Aug 13, 2019, 02:08 AM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Both great flying planes!! The 71" was just more feasible (read less expensive and easier to transport) for most people. Of course the old saying is.. " bigger flies better", and the 89" really was a great flying plane.

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....
Aug 13, 2019, 06:37 AM
3D Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic
The 71 slick is still one of my all time favorite planes.
Welcome back losi ....
Aug 13, 2019, 08:04 AM
What would lonelasso do?
I'm still rocking an original 70" Slick in fantasy blue scheme
Aug 13, 2019, 08:33 AM
I had a 70" and I wish I still had it...
Aug 13, 2019, 08:34 AM
3D Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfv61
Would be nice to bring that back but maybe there are some licensing things that prevent it. Maybe just something close but not a copy of the Red Bull can.?
Aug 13, 2019, 01:05 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
I don't think there was a problem with the color scheme per se, but Red Bull would definitely 'come down' on anybody caught selling the graphics to go with it. That is why a lot of people start referring to them as 'Crimson Bovine' graphics. Personally, I always thought they were stupid for doing so, as it was free advertising for them.

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....
Aug 13, 2019, 08:13 PM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfv61
+1
Last edited by G.P.; Aug 13, 2019 at 08:19 PM.
Aug 18, 2019, 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfabeast
I just flight tested the Slick with MF 4330-216 and HW 100A V3 will try to get the data logs but WOW. It ran great. Felt as powerful as my MXS 76 with Xpwer 40 CC CC 160 ESC on hover pull out. Definitely faster on straight line speed. No timing advance, 16 KHz PWM. Throttle response perfect, no stutters , smooth as could be.

Still my favorite plane of all time.
I have recently purchased a NIB 71 Slick and will be using the same motor/esc as you. I am curious to know the flying weight if you have it. Also, have you reinforced the side area where the wing fixes to the fuselage, and if so, how did you do it

Thanks
Aug 18, 2019, 10:11 AM
Epoxy & CA Investor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leelander
Was the Slick 71 a better plane the Slick 89?

I know, silly question, diffrent size....
Had both. The 89 slick with da60 is the best flying plane ever made by 3dhs, IMO. Everything was right and it shows in its flying characteristics.
Aug 18, 2019, 11:32 AM
I banged up my beloved orange electric 71" slick yesterday Came down level from an inverted low harrier with some minor fuse damage as well as damage to the canopy and cowling. I quickly repaired the damage to the fuse and have a new rudder on the way. Wondering if anyone has some techniques to repair the canopy or cowl. I repaired a chip the size of a quarter in the cowl once with some epoxy resin and rustoleum paint. Repair was ok but the Rustoleum was not white enough. Attached is a pic of the canopy damage. Wish these items were still in sock
Aug 18, 2019, 12:19 PM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
I would probably patch on the inside with a piece of old canopy from one of my other crashed airframes. Plastic packaging or even a cut up 2L pop bottle might do the trick. Any plastic that’ll form with a heat gun. Light fiberglass is another possible option. Then I’d fill the holes with epoxy (and micro balloons if you have them).

For a quick color match I’d probably try covering on real low. I’ve had luck sticking covering to cowls and other manufacturers plastic cowls and canopys. Starting on the lowest heat and SLOWLY increasing the heat to see if the covering sticks before deforming the plastic is key. Otherwise I’d paint or find a decal material that matches...or totally change the color by adding a pin stripe or similar in that area.
Latest blog entry: Canola Huckin'
Aug 18, 2019, 12:56 PM
Thanks GP, that is pretty much the path I was thinking of. I've had good luck using clear plastic on the back side of a canopy glued with e6000 glue. Two small pieces broke out but I have them. Could use tape on the top of the seams to hold it together while gluing and plastic/E6000 on the bottom. Haven't tried the resin/micro balloon on a canopy yet. As long as I have all the pieces and tape the seams tight, I don't think I will need the resin. In the picture , some damage looks like missing plastic but its just missing paint. I was thinking of using some regular orange ultracoat to hide the crack. Maybe use the TF trim solvent I have to attach it (I'll test the solvent first). I guess there should be some matching trim sheets. That may work better and could use it on the top of the cowling as well. Thanks for the reply. Still would like to hear the type of paint guys have used on this model and if they were able to match the orange paint.
Aug 18, 2019, 01:59 PM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Well if you’ve got all of the pieces and aren’t too concerned about looks...a strip of duct tape on the inside, put all of the pieces in place, some glue in the cracks, and a strip of packing tape on the outside. It’ll get you into the air quick and won’t be noticeable in flight.
Latest blog entry: Canola Huckin'
Aug 18, 2019, 02:56 PM
3D Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMoo
I banged up my beloved orange electric 71" slick yesterday Came down level from an inverted low harrier with some minor fuse damage as well as damage to the canopy and cowling. I quickly repaired the damage to the fuse and have a new rudder on the way. Wondering if anyone has some techniques to repair the canopy or cowl. I repaired a chip the size of a quarter in the cowl once with some epoxy resin and rustoleum paint. Repair was ok but the Rustoleum was not white enough. Attached is a pic of the canopy damage. Wish these items were still in sock
Thin fiberglass cloth on the inside with epoxy diluted w alcohol, then just a matter of how much to invest time wise on the outside. You can just paint over or go all out and fill/sand w bondo and then paint.

Go to a drug store and get a close match of nail polish. Cheapest solution. Or the local hobby shop

Quick Reply