Jan 19, 2013, 04:05 PM
3d NOOBular
herzepkeith, what all do you have in the fuel line? Have an in-line filter by chance? Have you tried without it?
to remove ads between posts
Jan 19, 2013, 04:08 PM
3d NOOBular
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbo111
There is a break in period with any new gas engine , if you want to stay with gas I would use Lawnboy 30 to 1 mix for the DLE for the first 3 to 5 gallions and just fly the plane around with good airflow and tune as you go. This worked well for my DLE 55 and it runs great now.That said ,I seen alot of of pilots have trouble with the DLE 30
He has had this problem with two engines on this plane. He has had tuning help from seasoned gas guys. The problem is really weird and can be repeated at will just by rolling the plane over.
Jan 19, 2013, 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke
He has had this problem with two engines on this plane. He has had tuning help from seasoned gas guys. The problem is really weird and can be repeated at will just by rolling the plane over.
Ok ,if the seasoned gas guys cant help ,then yes go electric.
Jan 19, 2013, 04:37 PM
Have you pulled the plug after it dies? Is the plug soaking wet or on the dry side. If it's soaking wet there could be fuel pooling in the reed block assembly when inverted. Once you roll upright the fuel dumps into the mix and kills the engine. Is this something that is possible??
Jan 19, 2013, 05:47 PM
I have checked all the above and show no signs of fuel loading up. I will check it again though.

QUOTE=Capt. Roll;23864255]Have you pulled the plug after it dies? Is the plug soaking wet or on the dry side. If it's soaking wet there could be fuel pooling in the reed block assembly when inverted. Once you roll upright the fuel dumps into the mix and kills the engine. Is this something that is possible??[/QUOTE]
Jan 19, 2013, 05:50 PM
Just go with the flow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Roll
Have you pulled the plug after it dies? Is the plug soaking wet or on the dry side. If it's soaking wet there could be fuel pooling in the reed block assembly when inverted. Once you roll upright the fuel dumps into the mix and kills the engine. Is this something that is possible??

That's kind of the consenus with a few of us at Keith's field, it's really wierd. If it's puddling inverted how do you eliminate it? It only takes maybe a 2-3 seconds inverted then set back uprighte it dies. The plug does not looked soaked or bad at all.
Jan 19, 2013, 06:29 PM
Wow........wish I could tell you what the fix was if that would be the problem.

Looking back through everything you've tried, you have an extensive list of what it's not; there's not much you haven't covered or tried. Can any of your flying buds loan you a Walbro carb to try? Maybe that's already been done.

Seems like it has to be something with the carb or fuel delivery through the carb and to the engine.

When inverted and you roll back to level upright it dies. What happens if you're inverted and you push to an upline or pull to a downline and fly that line for several seconds then return to level upright? Does it die?

Where is the pulse port hole on the carb/engine/reed block.....top, bottom or side?
Jan 19, 2013, 09:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke
Man thats a real tough one. Ive flown inverted and flipped back to upright hundreds of times with my DLE and never had it die. Its gotta be in the fuel delivery / vent line settup.
Jan 19, 2013, 09:01 PM
Ok if I am inverted and push to a up line it will not die. When I am running the engine at higher RPMS and then flip it back over it does not die.(Only at lower RPM) I have never put the plane inverted and then pointed it towards the ground. I have tried 4 Different Carbs on this Motor. Tomorrow I am going to build a wood stand mount the motor on it with just Motor/Ignition/ and Fuel Tank and see if it still does it. If it does not I am going to start adding componets until it does do it. We will see what happens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Roll
Wow........wish I could tell you what the fix was if that would be the problem.

Looking back through everything you've tried, you have an extensive list of what it's not; there's not much you haven't covered or tried. Can any of your flying buds loan you a Walbro carb to try? Maybe that's already been done.

Seems like it has to be something with the carb or fuel delivery through the carb and to the engine.

When inverted and you roll back to level upright it dies. What happens if you're inverted and you push to an upline or pull to a downline and fly that line for several seconds then return to level upright? Does it die?

Where is the pulse port hole on the carb/engine/reed block.....top, bottom or side?
Jan 19, 2013, 09:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertzrepkeith
Tomorrow I am going to build a wood stand mount the motor on it with just Motor/Ignition/ and Fuel Tank and see if it still does it. If it does not I am going to start adding componets until it does do it. We will see what happens.
Sounds like a good plan of attack.....keep us posted
Jan 19, 2013, 09:22 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
Stories like this make me glad mine is electric
Jan 19, 2013, 09:48 PM
inverted-i-fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic
Stories like this make me glad mine is electric
yes and no, I had my 74 electric catch fire, But then again I see countless guys at our field toy and dicker with their gas motors, they get one flight for every 8-10 I get on electrics................and they complain about flight times for electric

but there is a couple of guys with gas that just get it right, first flip and it starts, 10-15 min per flight, refuel and fly again, never a problem, motor runs perfectly. I probably will go gas if I go bigger than 70"
Jan 19, 2013, 09:50 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansifsof44
Thanks again Steve... Finally got around to installing them.
Attachment 5461973
Glad to see you got them in!!

And on that note.....has everybody except Smithder (whose braces I got back today due to an in-correct address), gotten theirs?

SteveT.
Last edited by SteveT.; Jan 19, 2013 at 09:56 PM.
Jan 19, 2013, 09:55 PM
Gone Huckin'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted-I-Fly
yes and no, I had my 74 electric catch fire, But then again I see countless guys at our field toy and dicker with their gas motors, they get one flight for every 8-10 I get on electrics................and they complain about flight times for electric

but there is a couple of guys with gas that just get it right, first flip and it starts, 10-15 min per flight, refuel and fly again, never a problem, motor runs perfectly. I probably will go gas if I go bigger than 70"
See... If I KNEW I could fly gas stress free and get those 10-15 minute flights I'd be ALL over it!!
Jan 19, 2013, 09:59 PM
inverted-i-fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm
See... If I KNEW I could fly gas stress free and get those 10-15 minute flights I'd be ALL over it!!
it is the rare exception, but I might go with an os gt33 when/if I get bigfoot, that seems to be the ticket in that size, DLE seems ok in the 55 or bigger size

Quick Reply