Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Oct 16, 2012, 08:51 AM
doh!
ryan_m's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm
Maybe that's my issue. I've watched tons of YouTube videos and even watched people do it live multiple times but I've just never been able to do it!

I've got a 60W hobbico iron that should be sufficient. It just seems like I can never get the solder to start flowing... Especially on the large wires!
What tip? And what is the tip temp of the iron? That Weller is a 900 degree tip temp, which combined with the fat chisel tip seems to work super good. The fat tip retains a lot of heat and very very quickly heats up the wires you are trying to solder.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Oct 16, 2012, 09:41 AM
OOPS
Manta1's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm
Have you ever used them to connect the motor to the ESC or is it simply best to solder those two things together?

I figured if I used APP's I could put electrical tape around them to ensure they don't come apart... seems like it would work right?

Anyone see any issues here?
As much of an APP fanboy that I am, the only time I really saw a problem with them is when using them for motor to esc connection. I don't know why, but had weird things happen and when app's were taken out and wires were soldered problems went away. Now, ive been a huge proponent of soldering everything iver a 50-60 amp setup. Ken made me use his bullets on some of the test motors and they never have glitched for me. So this tells me I may not have made a good connection with the app's the time I played with those. But the plug n play bullets that come with the 4325s are good stuff.
Oct 16, 2012, 10:11 AM
Sippin the Koolaid!
losifanatic's Avatar
I use a 230watt radio shack soldering gun. Does 8awg wire easily
Oct 16, 2012, 11:49 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta1
As much of an APP fanboy that I am, the only time I really saw a problem with them is when using them for motor to esc connection. I don't know why, but had weird things happen and when app's were taken out and wires were soldered problems went away. Now, ive been a huge proponent of soldering everything iver a 50-60 amp setup. Ken made me use his bullets on some of the test motors and they never have glitched for me. So this tells me I may not have made a good connection with the app's the time I played with those. But the plug n play bullets that come with the 4325s are good stuff.
i found the bullets that came with the 4315 and 4325 to be waaay too small for the wiring on an ICE 100 Lite. Ended up doing direct solder.
Oct 16, 2012, 12:37 PM
3DHS 'native'
going4speed's Avatar
castle 5mm bullets work very nice on ice 100
Oct 16, 2012, 02:18 PM
Gone Huckin'
turnerm's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk
i found the bullets that came with the 4315 and 4325 to be waaay too small for the wiring on an ICE 100 Lite. Ended up doing direct solder.
That's the one issue I had on my 4325 too. I ended up unsoldering the connectors on the motor and then had my friend direct solder the motor to the ESC.
Oct 16, 2012, 02:26 PM
Registered User
robj's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm
That's the one issue I had on my 4325 too. I ended up unsoldering the connectors on the motor and then had my friend direct solder the motor to the ESC.
Just strip a few strands off the esc wires until they fit, insert and solder up.
Oct 16, 2012, 03:04 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
zmonster97's Avatar
Ok, so what bullets do you guys recommend for a 4325 and ice 100? Are the 4mm that comes with the motrolfly not enough?
Oct 16, 2012, 03:13 PM
Gone Huckin'
turnerm's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmonster97
Ok, so what bullets do you guys recommend for a 4325 and ice 100? Are the 4mm that comes with the motrolfly not enough?
I think they are too small. I'm sure someone can solder the ice 100 leads into that size connector but it's not easy.
Oct 16, 2012, 03:19 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
zmonster97's Avatar
I'm thinking the cc 5.5mm bullets. Are cc bullets good?

http://www.castlecreations.com/products/ccbullet.html
Oct 16, 2012, 03:19 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
zmonster97's Avatar
Double post
Oct 16, 2012, 03:32 PM
TEAM TWISTED
ROLLING CIRCLE's Avatar
We had the gold bullet connectors from the 4325 on at first, had them arc a bit and burn off to the point where the solder joint had broken (deadstick landing). Then we went direct solder but as you may have seen a couple pages back, we are still having problems. I am hoping to do the Link tonight and just switch the cutoff to soft while doing as Joe said andleave the voltage at 3.7. Then, we can order some new packs and we'll see how far that gets us....
Oct 16, 2012, 03:55 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
losifanatic's Avatar
I direct solder on planes this size or bigger
Oct 16, 2012, 04:09 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
zmonster97's Avatar
How do you direct solder these big of wires? Do you just lay them next to each other and put some solder around them?
Oct 16, 2012, 04:18 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
I use Castle 5mm and 5.5mm bullets on all my "larger" motors. I fist put on the appropriate size heat shrink tubing and slide it up away from where I am soldering. Once soldered, I give them a shot of Caig "Deoxit" before pushing them together, then slide the heat shrink in place and shrink so that they can not come loose.

As to direct soldering you need a bit of thin copper wire to wrap around the joint before soldering them.

SteveT
Latest blog entry: My hangar...


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Poll 3D hobby shop 51" slick or 55" SHP? appleflyer 3D Flying 24 Mar 24, 2009 06:29 PM
Video 3D Hobby Shop's AJ Slick Clark Warfel Electric Plane Talk 3 May 08, 2008 07:31 AM