Old Aug 26, 2009, 01:53 AM
Find More Posts by AeroM'ck'y
Question

Eagletree Airspeed and altimeter on Heli?

Has anyone used them with the T-fitting on their helicopter? I have them on the way from eagletree but unsure how to mount them for maximum precision. I plan to use it on a Trex 500.

thanks in advance
Last edited by AeroM'ck'y; Sep 01, 2009 at 01:27 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2009, 04:48 AM
I take it no one has done it yet? just wanna post up my findings with using the pitot tube on a heli. it's pretty much useless unless i want to know what kinda wind there is while i'm hovering facing the wind. as soon as i tilt for forward speed i lose the reading. i might position the tube so that it's pointing straight ahead when i'm in forward flight. i might use the gps for speed but still prefer barometric for altitude.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 11:52 PM
Find More Posts by Danal Estes
Flys with Thumbs
I have an altitude sensor only. At the moment, it is on a side frame, well clear of the canopy. Tube is pointed forward.

It doesn't seem very accurate, reading negative a lot, etc, etc.

I have not attempted to provide a better "static" pressure arrangement. That would probably help. I'll try soon, and report back.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 10:13 PM
how did you go? i'm not getting accurate readings having it on the side. i see photos of real helicopter and they have their pitot tube right at the front of the nose. Does our pito tube works the same as real helicopters?
here's a video of the flight, compare to gps spd at the bottom of the screen.
Obviously the gps altitude isn't right there +1 for the barometric alt sensor.

Trex 500 Helicopter FPV with Telemetry at winton drift practice (5 min 24 sec)
Last edited by AeroM'ck'y; Sep 13, 2009 at 10:30 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 10:17 PM

pic of the pitot tube

this is where the pitot tube was when i did that video, between the landing skids and the canopy