Aug 25, 2009, 04:00 PM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Thread OP
Yippee!

Poor Man's Pre-Rotator for Autogyro!

I know this is an old idea. I've seen this on Hal Debolt's designs and a few others lately on rcgroups. I love the idea, especially on this size because it's a cheap fix for those no wind days. I have a hard time taxing my gyros on no wind or cross wind days on the hard surface at the field. This is going on my DAG's also!

Hope you guys enjoy!
RPG Autogyro with Prerotator Test (5 min 10 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Aug 25, 2009, 04:12 PM
It's all in the Blades!
Joe...loved every second of it!!!
That is a very short take off run in no wind conditions ..and that cigar

How is that rotor spindle holding out?..try to add a little light oil to it if you can from time to time

Regards Rich
Aug 25, 2009, 04:19 PM
Looks great. Ideal for short field take off.
Aug 25, 2009, 04:24 PM
Awesome awesome awesome!!!!!!!! Gary Tepass style!!!! You got it man!!!! Pre-rotator with out making it "post-heavy"!!!!

Honestly Joe....it is the only way to go in my opinion, and for you die hard "OMG..I have to have a gear reduction motor on my rotor-head", I will never understand that train of thought as you are adding a lot of weight. I just dont get it. Untill you can harness your motor's power and transfer it to the head via a clutch system, I think the way Joe does it makes perfect sence. Gary Tenpass "old school" style with the cordless drill is so cool. I like it Joe.....nice job!!!

Dave
Aug 25, 2009, 04:30 PM
Closed Account
Joe,

Excellent way forward mate, that's such a practicle idea, I concur with Dave and the lads, no added weight or technical complications, just added value and usefullness.
11/10 , Cheers,
regards to all, Al
Aug 25, 2009, 04:34 PM
RC Group therapist
Hi Joe,
Good to see you making videos again! I've seen that method in the past as well, in fact I've got a video somewhere of "Me" doing that on one of my AcoA Kelletts. It's a simple fix for zero-wind without adding wt. to the aircraft. Thanks for the video Joe.
Regards,
-Mike
Aug 25, 2009, 05:51 PM
Thread OP
Hey Mike....no loops yet!

Rich, thanks for the heads up on the hub. That thing spins like a top! I'll lube it up next time I take it out.

So, Al...I think it might make your life easier if you can get something set up like that...since you have such short runways.

Well, gotta go pull a rabbit out of a hat!
Joe
Aug 26, 2009, 12:06 PM
Thread OP
For Big AL!

Hey Al,
I went back to the hobby store to get some more nose cones!

Wanted to try two differnet kinds.

Great planes makes one that has a thinner back plate which works well. Dubro is too thick. Also the staight aluminum hubs work great too.
Aug 26, 2009, 12:06 PM
Well Joe looks like I'll have to bookmark this blog Can you see that I'm green with envy I like the prespin I might see one in my future because the grass is always too high.I'll keep watchin Bill
Aug 26, 2009, 01:20 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Bill! The cigar smoking was for you! I'll have to get your brand next time!
Aug 26, 2009, 02:56 PM
Closed Account
Hi Joe,

Thank you for the pics, they explain perfectly. I think I do have a thin aluminum backed one some where in the house. I've been modifying my Rotor mast today, just plodding on, I went for the load share as in Rich's RPG set up, it took ages to get the angles correct for the head input arm, pics and more stuff tomorrow. cheers,

regards to all, Al
Aug 26, 2009, 03:01 PM
If you guys dont mind me jumping in....dont use a cone whos diameter impeeds the flap travel of the rotor disc.

Sorry....it had to be said before someone says: "Hey....I put the cone on and now it doesnt fly..." LOL!!!
Aug 26, 2009, 03:11 PM
Thread OP
Very good point Dave!

I did take a look at that and it seems like it still will flap well. That's why I think the metal one will work better....it's only 1 inch wide. The plastic one is 1.5 inches, but the smallest they make. I'll give it a hop tomorrow. If it tucks and rolls, you can say..."I told you so!!!!" HA!
Aug 26, 2009, 03:16 PM
You can just add a couple washers under it. That is how I used to do it. I had to use a smaller spacer also.

Dave
Aug 26, 2009, 03:17 PM
Closed Account
I was just thinking that as the one I have is 50mm diameter, the blades won't even lead / lag for storage, I'll look for a prop nut. Good call Dave, cheers,

Al

Quick Reply