Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Old Aug 25, 2009, 09:47 AM
Find More Posts by P. Tritle
Build Log

Fleet Biplane in 1:8 Scale

Got started framing the 42" span Fleet Trainer yesterday. The design is initially set up for the E-Flight Park 400 Outrunner and 4 ch. R/C.

Construction begins with the vertical and horizontal stabilizers. The horizintal stab uses the scale airfoiled stab with a flat plate elevator.

Plan to work up the fuselage next, then get the cowl stuff off to Sparky so he can get started on the scale Kinner radial engine.

PAT
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2009, 10:11 AM
Find More Posts by TPfingston
Retired and Lovin' it!
Pat, is the lifting airfoil on the stab scale. I've only seen it done on a few model airplanes. The larger Telemaster series of airplanes use it quite sucessfully, but, if memory serves, I've read of a few other instances where it was more troublesome. It would seem to be essentially the same as having some positive incidence built into the stab???

Tony
Old Aug 25, 2009, 10:31 AM
Find More Posts by E-Challenged
The lifting stab might be a good thing on a bipe to help counter zoom climb tendencies. it worked well on the Sterling Mambo rudder only and other similar rudder only designs.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 11:08 AM
Find More Posts by Wolpertinger
Formerly "vonJaerschky"
The Sig Astro Hog uses a diamond shaped airfoil on the lifting tail. It's a great flying ariplane and stable as a rock. No pitch changes with power changes. Cool idea to see it on the Fleet. I wish more models had it (if the fullscale had it, that is).
Old Aug 25, 2009, 01:27 PM
Find More Posts by Ascolta
Very nice Pat-I suppose you already have the color scheme picked out.......HUMMMM
Do I see Ambroid glue joints on this puppy? Inquiring minds want to know. Been hooked on Ambroid for 1/2 century. :-)

Dale
Old Aug 25, 2009, 02:50 PM

Color Scheme

Well, it looks like the color scheme is down to one of these two choices. Love the yellow and black, but also like the look of the green and yellow military scheme also. I guess it'll come down to the mood of the day when it's time to start covering.

The airfoiled stab is scale. The main advantage to the lifting tail is that it will allow a much more aft CG. and on a typical straight wing radial powered biplane moving the CG aft on the profile can be a real plus.

Dale, I'm using medium CYA for framing. I used Ambroid for years too, but just isn't the same as it once was.

PAT
Last edited by P. Tritle; Aug 25, 2009 at 02:55 PM.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 03:36 PM
Find More Posts by Yak18
Garry Owen!
My DREAM has come true...a Tritle Fleet Bipe...with that trademark airfoiled stab. Thanks Pat, I will order as soon as it's available!!!
Old Aug 25, 2009, 03:40 PM
Find More Posts by LLBarb
Pat,
If you're going to offer the Fleet as a short kit...sign me up! I've been wanting to build a Fleet for a long time...Even started on a plan for one some time back. Can't wait to get one of your designs! Have quite a few photos of Fleets I've taken over the years...Need to locate them and post them here.

Lloyd
Old Aug 25, 2009, 04:12 PM
Find More Posts by EdLokken
Here is a picture of my Fleet Biplane built from a Concept kit. It is powered by a Phasor 45/3 brushless, and a great flier. Unfortunately when I moved I had to sell it. Looking forward to Patís model, I will be one of the first to order as soon as it become available.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 05:14 PM
Find More Posts by jofrost
It flew once before...
Pat ,

Looks great ! Do go with the green / yellow one !

-John
Old Aug 25, 2009, 05:55 PM
Find More Posts by challenger_i
OCD: Old, Cranky and Disgusted
A Fleet? NOW, we are talking!
Old Aug 25, 2009, 06:12 PM
Find More Posts by PeteSchug
A bit interesting!

I have a quarter scale Fleet that I bought. It came from the estate of a deceased club member. It's practically a museum piece and it has an OS five cylinder engine in it. I am not ashamed to say that the responsibility of owning and flying it scares me.

Maybe I will build your one eight scale electric and do a matching paint job.

Funny thing. A friend who flew the Fleet when the builder was alive wanted to buy it from me and campaign it. This would be nice since the builder deserves to be known, but I don't want to sell it. I offered to let him campaign it and he refused, feeling that he would be uncomfortable flying a plane owned by someone else!

In any case you build altogether too many interesting airplanes and I have way to little time!

Pete
Old Aug 25, 2009, 06:49 PM
Find More Posts by hoffboy
Matt Haugh
If history is any guide, I'm expecting a maiden flight in the next day or so. And I agree that the green and yellow with the bush wheels is quite nice indeed. Trexlers anyone?
Old Aug 25, 2009, 11:07 PM
Find More Posts by baldguy
I eat glue
Oh crap, another one! I just ordered 2 kits from ya, what do ya want, all my money?

What's the difference between the Fleet Trainer and the Finch, other than rudder shape?
Last edited by baldguy; Aug 25, 2009 at 11:15 PM.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 11:43 PM

Building the Fuselage

Getting started on the fuselage begins with the side frames. The finished frames are pinned to the board, then the rear LG beam and the upper formers in the mid section are added.