New Products Flash Sale
Thread Tools
Old Jan 12, 2011, 08:10 PM
Cheese5 is offline
Find More Posts by Cheese5
Registered User
Cheese5's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwolters View Post
Oh, ouch! The new wing and airframe sounds like a good plan then. Have fun with brushless and custom paint. I have 1S brushless which works like stock (but is completely reliable) and you can also get 2S and go nuts!
What's your brushless setup?
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2011, 02:21 AM
jdwolters is offline
Find More Posts by jdwolters
Fly, be free! (splat)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese5 View Post
What's your brushless setup?
I've got an AP05 motor with an XP3A ESC and a GWS 5043 prop. It all behaves like stock but has a much nicer sound. If I put in an XP7A ESC and a diode I can feed 2S to the same motor and the plane will go nuts but it weighs more because the battery size has basically doubled.
Last edited by jdwolters; Jan 13, 2011 at 11:15 AM.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 06:53 PM
Cheese5 is offline
Find More Posts by Cheese5
Registered User
Cheese5's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwolters View Post
I've got an AP05 motor with an XP3A ESC and a GWS 5043 prop. It all behaves like stock but has a much nicer sound. If I put in an XP7A ESC and a diode I can feed 2S to the same motor and the plane will go nuts but it weighs more because the battery size has basically doubled.
Perfect! Just the setup I was going to buy. Once the mustang motor dies(any time now...) the mustang will go BL!
Old Jan 13, 2011, 08:25 PM
Prime_8 is offline
Find More Posts by Prime_8
Lawn dart pilot/builder
Prime_8's Avatar
yeah but nuts fast ..

i have thought of just putting a HK 5g outrunner in the nose.
It would just fit with some serious sujury .
slap a diod on my stripped down plush esc's bec .. and away we go .
i pushed my 109g um jet arround just fine(same wingspan, 3/4 of same area ).. ( except my piloting skils and only having the CG perfect like 6 times . lol )
Old Jan 14, 2011, 12:03 AM
jdwolters is offline
Find More Posts by jdwolters
Fly, be free! (splat)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese5 View Post
Perfect! Just the setup I was going to buy. Once the mustang motor dies(any time now...) the mustang will go BL!
Good deal. I love the brushless setup. If you go with the XP7A you can plug in either a small, light 1S battery, or a heavy 2S depending if you feel like scale flight or wild tricks. Btw, the GWS 4540 prop works about the same if you want a more scale look;the 5043 blades a little fat. I stuck with the 5043 because the plane cruises at a lower rpm and I liked the sound better.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 11:30 AM
Cheese5 is offline
Find More Posts by Cheese5
Registered User
Cheese5's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwolters View Post
Good deal. I love the brushless setup. If you go with the XP7A you can plug in either a small, light 1S battery, or a heavy 2S depending if you feel like scale flight or wild tricks. Btw, the GWS 4540 prop works about the same if you want a more scale look;the 5043 blades a little fat. I stuck with the 5043 because the plane cruises at a lower rpm and I liked the sound better.
Does the 5043 and the 4540 has the same power?
Old Jan 14, 2011, 01:21 PM
Cheese5 is offline
Find More Posts by Cheese5
Registered User
Cheese5's Avatar
Blah, mission aborted. The clouds were so low! Some were at 100ft and others were at 1300ft! But it started to get windy, right after I took off. 10mph wind is not the ideal mustang flight conditions. The wind pounded on the mustang and it barely flew over 200ft, then it slowly dropped. Pictures coming soon.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 02:10 PM
Cheese5 is offline
Find More Posts by Cheese5
Registered User
Cheese5's Avatar
The mustang flew 302ft away(I couldn't get an over head shot, since the wind was too strong.)
Name: micro mustang picture test.jpg
Views: 99
Size: 16.7 KB
Description: 302ft awayName: distance flight test 3.jpg
Views: 111
Size: 8.9 KB
Description: 247ft away

Name: Distance flight test 2.jpg
Views: 70
Size: 9.4 KB
Description: 226ft awayName: Distance flight recon test.jpg
Views: 100
Size: 10.0 KB
Description: Find the mustang!
Old Jan 14, 2011, 02:33 PM
leethetreeguy is offline
Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Fly em if ya got em.
leethetreeguy's Avatar
Where is your bird? All I see is clouds. haha
Old Jan 14, 2011, 03:10 PM
Cheese5 is offline
Find More Posts by Cheese5
Registered User
Cheese5's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by leethetreeguy View Post
Where is your bird? All I see is clouds. haha
If you look closely, you will see a tiny dot. The first photo has a little orange circle around the mustang. The rest of the photos, the mustang is aorund the center. The gray dot is the mustang. That was around 196ft high says the calculator. I think the measurement was a bit off. I'll see if I can get higher and shoot a picture from over head. Taking pictures while flying isn't that hard. But launching the mustang+timing it+ holding the camera can be a problem. Now I have a 2nd way to comfirm the estimate of altitude.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 03:39 PM
leethetreeguy is offline
Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Fly em if ya got em.
leethetreeguy's Avatar
Ahhh, I see said the blind man.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 03:49 PM
Cheese5 is offline
Find More Posts by Cheese5
Registered User
Cheese5's Avatar
I got the altitude measurement. It is 93ft above the ground. The mustang flew farther away than I thought. So those tall trees are pretty tall. The wind was blowing my mustang towards them, it got pretty close. So I would esitmate the tree to be around 70~80ft. Waiting for the wind to die down...
Old Jan 15, 2011, 02:35 AM
jdwolters is offline
Find More Posts by jdwolters
Fly, be free! (splat)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese5 View Post
Does the 5043 and the 4540 has the same power?
As far as I can tell they have the same power; just the rpm's are different. For 2S HK recommends a 5030 but with 1S it just barely keeps the plane in the air. The 4540 is probably best for 1S but I'm using the 5043 anyway because I like the sound of the lower rpm's even though the motor does slow down when going uphill (so it is a little too much prop).

The AP05 came with a prop saver so it was easy to switch props around. Once I picked ny favorite I got some of those smal wood plug adapters so I could remove the prop saver and get a spinner back on.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 03:11 PM
Cheese5 is offline
Find More Posts by Cheese5
Registered User
Cheese5's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwolters View Post
As far as I can tell they have the same power; just the rpm's are different. For 2S HK recommends a 5030 but with 1S it just barely keeps the plane in the air. The 4540 is probably best for 1S but I'm using the 5043 anyway because I like the sound of the lower rpm's even though the motor does slow down when going uphill (so it is a little too much prop).

The AP05 came with a prop saver so it was easy to switch props around. Once I picked ny favorite I got some of those smal wood plug adapters so I could remove the prop saver and get a spinner back on.
I'll get them both. Since they are only $0.65 from wholesaletrains.com.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 03:17 PM
Cheese5 is offline
Find More Posts by Cheese5
Registered User
Cheese5's Avatar
2nd altitude flight. Clear afternoon, the wind died down enough so the mustang could actually climb. After the 3rd picture pass, the mustang disappeared!!!The silver paint blends really well with the blue sky. I spinned downwards and caught the mustang before it went over to the neighborhood. I need a camera man.
Name: 715ft.jpg
Views: 86
Size: 6.5 KB
Description: 715ft highest so far. Overhead flight without streamer. 10 megapixel camera, no zoom(its kinda hard to zoom while controlling the airplane+ it would be inacurate) Name: 544ft.jpg
Views: 104
Size: 6.6 KB
Description: 544ft 2nd place, no streamer (the mustang has a small orange circle around it.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion 15" Parkzone Micro Cessna 210 flyingace451 Micro Ready-to-Fly 16 Aug 09, 2007 05:11 PM
Discussion parkzone Micro Cessna 210 RTF mecevans Micro Ready-to-Fly 7 Apr 30, 2007 02:14 AM
Alert Parkzone Micro Cessna Hugequark Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 28 Apr 18, 2007 02:38 PM
New Product parkzone micro cessna gunracer Parkflyers 18 Apr 16, 2007 06:01 PM