Aug 16, 2009, 05:02 PM
Shanghai'd Expat
Thread OP
Discussion

1/200 Sci-Fi Assault Ship SLV-111 Daedalus

Here's something completely different that I came across today over at MBM, a 1/200 fantasy amphibious assault ship designed to carry giant robots & VTOL aircraft.

From the builder's introduction:

"Here are the “SLV-111 Daedalus” construction photos I have so far. It is scratch built, over six feet long, fully radio controlled and loaded with extra functions like working cranes, elevators and main hatch. It's been a 1.5 year build so far and will be about another 1.5 due to details and engineering. It comes from the Japanese Animated series “Super Dimensional Fortress Macross,” also known as “Robotech” by some when it was combined with two other series to make a three generation long saga."

I'm not a sci-fi fan myself but thought it worth posting simply for the electronics & engineering work that went into the build. Here's the MBM thread along with a more detailed 23 page thread filled with photos at the Macrossworld forum.

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/for...hp?topic=552.0

http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.ph...3&st=0&start=0

Chuck
to remove ads between posts
Aug 16, 2009, 06:00 PM
Where's Pamela?
I'm swamped making models (copies) of things that already existed... no time to dream up new stuff AND build it!
Aug 16, 2009, 09:11 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmat2350
I'm swamped making models (copies) of things that already existed... no time to dream up new stuff AND build it!
Me too, Pat, but I always like to see this kind of stuff, especially when it's neatly done---.
Aug 17, 2009, 04:33 AM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
It a model and it floats... Keep the word and pics coming
Aug 17, 2009, 12:59 PM
3 Blades to the Wind
Hermill, I have the books for the Macross and the Daedalus is one of the 'arms' of the Macross SDF-1. It is one of the two carriers that comprise the forearms of the ship. This one was a 'submerisble' carrier concept. The other one appeared more of a standard fleet carrier sort.
Aug 17, 2009, 04:51 PM
Shanghai'd Expat
Thread OP
Interesting stuff that I could have seen my kids getting into a few years ago when they were building their Gundam models.
Aug 17, 2009, 07:24 PM
Drydock Captian
Are you going to build the SDF-1 and make the other carrier too? I would love to see that all in scale. Fot those who do not know that was a carrier in the series and when the ship "warped" it took the city and some of the harbor near it with. That carrier became an arm for the super robot ship that did the warping. Now what would be really cool is if you had the entire skull squadron inside the ship ready to fight.

Looks great I cant wait to see more. If you didnt notice I love robotech and I used to watch it when I was a kid. 80's cartoons were so much better than what is going on for my kids.

Massey
Aug 18, 2009, 10:16 PM
Call me Mad Hatter

I found this project extremely cool.
I'm a big Robotech fan!
I've collected a lot of stuff from the 80's and 90's from it; Books, models, video games, and toys.
I hear they're going to make a live action movie sometime.
I'll be watching, I can't wait to see this project finished!
Aug 18, 2009, 11:35 PM
check out the thread on MBH the work this guy has gone through to detail this and make the door/ramps work is something else. I want to see it in the water!
Foo
Aug 19, 2009, 12:42 AM
Shanghai'd Expat
Thread OP
Yea, I thought we'd have a few fans here.
Aug 19, 2009, 05:34 AM
no wings any more, just dust!
wont be long before umi ryuzuki picks this one up.
Aug 19, 2009, 12:31 PM
3 Blades to the Wind
I don't know if Umi is into Macross. Maho-shojou (magical girl) and Operatic Mecha are pretty separated in the Anime world. There have been a couple of crossovers though. Bubblegum Crisis (BGC) comes to mind as a close crossover as does Five Star Stories (FSS).

Here's the Macross in it's "untransformed" cruiser mode:

Aug 19, 2009, 06:26 PM
no wings any more, just dust!
sean, i have all 8 videos of the original bgc series and all the videos from bgc2040 and also the sound tracks.

Quick Reply