Aug 15, 2009, 01:35 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Peter Rake`s Muttleys Revenge

Now that the Lublin is complete Pete has asked me to do another prototype for him.

This is quite different from any other planes I have built before, but it looked like a fun project.

Actually, I`m the third guy to start this plane, but since Pete and Charlie are much busier than I am, they never had the time to get it finished.

This looks like it should be a pretty fast build, and will be my introduction to ailerons, so should be a help in building my flying skills.

It has a 30" W/S with dihedral that can be set to suit the style of flying required -from 0 up to around 3/4" under each tip, control throws, and area of control surfaces are easily adjusted to suit and use of either two or three cells (LiPo) determine the power available.

I have already ordered the motor and esc, I placed the order yesterday at 9am and it was waiting for me today when I got home just before noon!

The motor is a 2712-12 1200 KV outrunner with a PowerUp 10amp brushless controller, prop will be held on with a prop saver mount, this is new to me, but seems to work pretty good.

Both were ordered from: http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/StoreFront, they ship fast!

I tested it this morning with a 2 cell 350 mAh lipo and it was nearly pulling out of my hand with a GWS 8x6 prop!

The lazer cut parts arived this morning too, so I`m all ready to get started!
Last edited by Dan Parson; Aug 15, 2009 at 02:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 15, 2009, 01:39 PM
Thread OP
Here is a look at the plans, so you can see what she`ll look like.
Aug 15, 2009, 03:20 PM
Pro Slacker
Sweet!

Funny thing, I am just CADing my own old-timer at this moment.
Not my own design but an adaptation to BL and LiPo from an old I/C design called "Newbourne".

Pretty close huh?
Aug 15, 2009, 03:44 PM
North East England
This should be a nice build for you, Dan - it's basically Pete's Eastbourne Monoplane simplified, minus the rigging and with ailerons Should make a nice aileron trainer. Keep it light!

I use those prop savers on my Little Ship, Bristol Scout and Dr1 and they work well; they hold the prop firmly but still let it move if it hits something. If you haven't got some already, get a few spare rubber rings, as they're the vital bit!

Look forward to your build.

Steve
Aug 15, 2009, 05:34 PM
It flew once before...
This should be a fun one Dan . Should be quite nimble with those strip aelerons

-John
Aug 15, 2009, 06:01 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofrost
This should be a fun one Dan . Should be quite nimble with those strip aelerons

-John
Thats a scary thought! No problem, will be starting out with pretty low throws, probably start with 3/8", as I will be using this for an aileron trainer.
Aug 15, 2009, 06:10 PM
Thread OP
Pete;

Can you please confirm that this strip of 3/32" ply parts are for the fuselage?

I can`t find this on the parts sheet, but it looks like they are fuselage stringers and crossmembers.

If so, this is gonna save me a couple hours of cutting all them out!
Aug 15, 2009, 07:01 PM
Dan,
Good question mate, I've never seen them before. It does look as if Charlie has included them as laser cut parts, rather than using 3/32 balsa strip, but only he can answer for sure. Personally, I'd still prefer hard balsa longerons and spacers.

I have a small quiery of my own, do you seriously consider 3/8" each way to be a small amount of aileron throw? I would have considered it close to maximum throw, for aerobatic flying. Halve that amount to begin with, you need to bank the model to turn, not roll it. Having said that, I remember my very first aileron turn, with my first low wing model. In such a panic, I just half looped it, with a half roll off the top. Certainly an effective way of heading in the opposite direction in a hurry, but not to be recommended. I don't still turn them that way.

Pete
Aug 15, 2009, 07:06 PM
For those interested, and to clear up any confusion about Muttley's origins, it began life as a sketch in a notepad. Made during an idle hour or so in a local cafe' waiting for the wife to finish clothes shopping. A much more relaxing way of passing time.

Pete
Aug 15, 2009, 07:10 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERRAKE
Dan,

I have a small quiery of my own, do you seriously consider 3/8" each way to be a small amount of aileron throw? I would have considered it close to maximum throw, for aerobatic flying. Halve that amount to begin with, you need to bank the model to turn, not roll it.

Pete
I stand corrected! I will start out with 3/16" and see how that gos when its time to fly.
Aug 18, 2009, 02:38 AM
Thread OP

Wing construction starts

Thought I would get the build going with the wing, but found out I didn`t have the 3/16" square L/E or 1/8 x 3/8" T/E stock on hand, so had to make a trip to the LHS.

Also didn`t have a print, so was able to stop at an OfficeMax and get it printed for $3.50.

Naturally they only had the L/E material on hand, so I ended up buying some 1/8" sheet and stripping the T/E to the required 3/8" width.

This wing is pretty straight forward, it just plugs together, and builds up pretty quick.

Pete, I only glued in the R2, and R3 ribs for now, and have a question about the R4 and the WT.

Should I glue the WT flat against R4, or bend it up on the bottom to follow the curve of the rib?

Or glue it flat and then sand it to shape, following the ribs contour?

Seeing that I have never built a wing without a flat bottom, I thought I should ask.

As for dihedral what would you recommend being my first build with ailerons?
Aug 18, 2009, 06:29 AM
Dan,
The tip should go from the centre of the l.e. to the t.e. Groove the front to fit around the l.e.

Pete
Aug 18, 2009, 07:21 AM
Thread OP
So I want to glue the L/E to the ribs first, THEN glue in the WT?

Do I have this right then?
Aug 19, 2009, 02:29 AM
Indeed you do.
Aug 19, 2009, 03:52 PM
Thread OP
Pete;

Maybe you missed my question earlier, since I`m building the wing with ailerons, should I build it flat, or add a small amount of dihedral, say 1/4" or so?

Wings on hold for now, I`ll start work on the fuselage.

Quick Reply