I'd rather be flying.....
A Wonderful build - waiting for flight reports

best regards,

jeff
to remove ads between posts
Jun 26, 2016, 07:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulserudder
That is gorgeous and the fastest Valkyrie build I have ever seen or heard of!
This one wasnt that fast, its my 100% build that was several years in the making. You may have been looking at the pictures of my 50% valkyrie build which is still very much in the balsa building stage still.
Jun 26, 2016, 07:27 PM
its not as light as others in this group, but, Im still pretty impressed that its only 6 pounds as it sits in this picture. It had the fuel tank, battery and servos in it, the only thing missing is the motor and control surfaces.
Jul 16, 2016, 03:24 PM
So, is 9" or 45% back from the leading edge of the wing still a good starting CG point? I just got a chance to put everything together and balanced mine for the first time and it was exactly 9" back from the leading edge without moving or adding any weight. My initial thought was that looks pretty far back but then I saw in one of these posts that where someone else put there CG, possibly it was yours Franny. whats the forgiveness range on the cg, how far off can you be and still fly ok?
Jul 16, 2016, 06:50 PM
I don't know what to make of this but after us all said and done, my wing incidence is at zero. I could have sworn I put positive in there but I just don't see any now. You think it's worth major surgery to try and fix thing s or should just fly it as is?
Jul 16, 2016, 07:46 PM
There's one being built in Australia at the moment as well.
Jul 18, 2016, 07:01 PM
I opted to do some reconstructive surgery to my pylon. I am reshaping the top section to give me just a little more positive incidence.
Jul 30, 2016, 05:16 PM
Well I tried to get a test flight in today but no luck. Just a little to windy. I got to taxi it on the ground a little. The slightest breeze caused it to tip over on the wing and stabilizer. I think it will be ok in calmer conditions.
Jul 30, 2016, 06:01 PM
We'll be here waiting to see how well the next one goes. Don't rush things on our account!!

Bob
Aug 12, 2016, 08:34 AM
Great job on your Valkyrie! I just finished mine from Dan Waltons short kit. Instead of planking I added 16 1/8" bass stringers, also did not put in all those pesky pieces in the inboard part of the wing. Carl Goldberg used all balsa in his wing, I used all bass wood for the spars; so far so good. I put the cg at 9" back and balanced it from that point. When flying I have to put a little down trim when under power. Am using an E Flight 46 with a 4S 5000 pack. The thing weighs about lmost 8 lbs, but gets off the ground after a 5' rollout! Even at 8lbs it just doesn't want to come down. Good luck with your so.
Aug 13, 2016, 12:07 PM
Great looking plane.
Some day I hope to be able to commit to such a project. I love the lines on the Valkyrie.
May 14, 2017, 10:56 AM
if Dans still in business or making the valkery short kit you shown right here in the pics ?
I tried the web page but no luck ,thanks,
May 27, 2017, 01:01 PM
I finally got the chance to put a maiden on my Valkyrie. After all the issues I had concerns over, in the end everything worked out fine. The CG was spot on,. My wing incidence seemed really good. I did not need very much control throws to fly it either. I think my idle was set a little to high but I am running a saito 82 and a 14x4 prop and I found that I wasnt needing to go much over a 1/4 throttle for just cruising around. I think that I was not able to slow it down as much as I would have liked for landing due to a faster idle. It just kept floating right past me down to the end of the runway. Glad to have a 1500 ft grass runway😀
May 27, 2017, 01:26 PM
Wow! That's a magnificent aircraft . Congratulations on a successful maiden

Al

Quick Reply