Aug 24, 2009, 08:20 PM
Greetings,

Well, I finally got around to putting the UAVX in the air (no GPS). My first official conclusion is that we've identified a country with more lawyers than the US has

I don't think I've seen that many disclaimers in a long time and I see we're forced to use the arm disarm switch now Took me a while to figure out why I could see the boot up in hyperterminal, but yet it wouldn't connect (failure to read all the instructions)

I will also agree with whoever set it earlier, that I'd much prefer to see the throttle armed with the stick (ala MK), rather than the switch. I carry the quads in and out quite a bit, usually with the TX hanging around my neck, and it's very easy to bump that stick.

The first flight comment is "holy yaw authority Batman" I bet this thing will spin like a top! I normally don't put any expo in my rudder channel, but I have it there now. I could have turned down the limiter, but it will be fun to play with later.

Pitch and roll with the stock settings is a bit wobbly. I tried as much as 26 for P, and as little as 14, but didn't find anything I liked better. There's much to play with, so this doesn't really mean anything yet.

It was calm, but I saw clear signs that the copter wanted to stay in one spot. It would drift a bit one way, then come back, then drift another direction but come back. That's a very good sign. I didn't try the official test of pushing it away by hand, mostly because I recall reading something on about page 5 of the legal disclaimer that said I was agreeing not to do that

The only other odd thing was the throttle. When the battery was fresh, and I just started flying, it seems to be yo-yoing up and down, and I can't find a throttle setting that keeps it in one spot. Once it's been flying for a minute or so, this calms down. Very odd.

Cheers,
Rusty
to remove ads between posts
Aug 24, 2009, 08:27 PM
Hi Jim,

I will take a look at the small Asus eee if the screen driver is able to pan.

I just upgraded to UAVX and just used the standard parameters for a non standard 85 cm UFO, I shurely have to change. Iīve choosen to set it up completely new because when using my last finetuned setup from original Wolferl Software on the UAVP-V3.15.457gke version there was no way to fly it. When having some time at daylight I will have to improve the settings.
I just wondered, if I should use ESCīs with a higher PPM Update rate.

If I can help in any way to translate, please let me know. For me its no problem to use english menus (reading english is no problem for me, but writing in english is not very good), but I think ther may be several people in D, AT and CH which would have problems with the original english version.

Best regards
Tom
Aug 24, 2009, 08:31 PM
gke
gke
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13brv3
Greetings,

Well, I finally got around to putting the UAVX in the air (no GPS). My first official conclusion is that we've identified a country with more lawyers than the US has

I don't think I've seen that many disclaimers in a long time and I see we're forced to use the arm disarm switch now Took me a while to figure out why I could see the boot up in hyperterminal, but yet it wouldn't connect (failure to read all the instructions)

I will also agree with whoever set it earlier, that I'd much prefer to see the throttle armed with the stick (ala MK), rather than the switch. I carry the quads in and out quite a bit, usually with the TX hanging around my neck, and it's very easy to bump that stick.

The first flight comment is "holy yaw authority Batman" I bet this thing will spin like a top! I normally don't put any expo in my rudder channel, but I have it there now. I could have turned down the limiter, but it will be fun to play with later.

Pitch and roll with the stock settings is a bit wobbly. I tried as much as 26 for P, and as little as 14, but didn't find anything I liked better. There's much to play with, so this doesn't really mean anything yet.

It was calm, but I saw clear signs that the copter wanted to stay in one spot. It would drift a bit one way, then come back, then drift another direction but come back. That's a very good sign. I didn't try the official test of pushing it away by hand, mostly because I recall reading something on about page 5 of the legal disclaimer that said I was agreeing not to do that

The only other odd thing was the throttle. When the battery was fresh, and I just started flying, it seems to be yo-yoing up and down, and I can't find a throttle setting that keeps it in one spot. Once it's been flying for a minute or so, this calms down. Very odd.

Cheers,
Rusty
Hi Rusty,

We at least you have tried it and if you persist you may grow to like it, or at least impart some of your wisdom so we may improve.

There are lots of tuning parameters and many more in the code as "defines" for those that are keen. Accelerometer based compensation of drift will follow probably in the next release.

Jim I am sure will give a little guidance on tuning matters for everyone's benefit when he has a little R&R like me .

As for the disclaimers etc I am perhaps a little over zealous. Of course all the disclaimers in the world will not stop risk taking but it makes me feel a little more comfortable. Call me old fashioned but I don't like to see people with less than the usual complement of fingers and facial features when the quadrocopter decides to do an RTH 100M up when the battery is first applied .

You should be used to disclaimers coming from the land where coffee cups have the warning "may contain hot liquid" - chance would be a fine thing .

Cheers,
Greg
Last edited by gke; Aug 24, 2009 at 08:39 PM.
Aug 24, 2009, 08:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gke
Jim I am sure will give a little guidance on tuning matters
That almost sounds like a threat

I do have another question about the gyro cal. Does it really take that long to do it? I presume you're either averaging the readings, or watching to make sure it's stationary for a period of time??

I've had some tall, somewhat flexible landing gear in the past that will wobble quite a bit when the wind blows. A cal that takes that long may be a problem, unless it's really waiting until it know it isn't moving.

As for the legal babble, I'm used to it alright. I tear out the first 10 pages of every manual I get from the company, but they're Dutch

Rusty
Last edited by 13brv3; Aug 24, 2009 at 10:45 PM.
Aug 24, 2009, 08:54 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
Tom,
The parms are a bit different than what the Wolf parms required. If you look back at my UAVPset captures it will get you closer to what you need. Those were done using a 65cm frame, so some minor interpolation +/- 1-5 on each as a test. Go up 50-80 on the pitch and roll D to stop any oscillations, for example. A screen capture of your parms when you get a chance will be helpful to diagnose.
OK on the translations. I have you down for a hundred pages of Deutsch... I get that is the D. What is the AT? Is the CH Swiss, like the .ch in their uavp.ch web domain??
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Know
Hi Jim,
I just upgraded to UAVX and just used the standard parameters for a non standard 85 cm UFO, I shurely have to change. Iīve choosen to set it up completely new because when using my last finetuned setup from original Wolferl Software on the UAVP-V3.15.457gke version there was no way to fly it. When having some time at daylight I will have to improve the settings.
I just wondered, if I should use ESCīs with a higher PPM Update rate.
If I can help in any way to translate, please let me know. For me its no problem to use english menus (reading english is no problem for me, but writing in english is not very good), but I think ther may be several people in D, AT and CH which would have problems with the original english version.
Best regards
Tom
Last edited by jesolins; Aug 25, 2009 at 03:00 AM.
Aug 24, 2009, 09:27 PM
gke
gke
Thread OP
Quote:
That almost sounds like a threat

I do have another question about the gyro cal. Does it really take that long to do it? I presume you're either averaging the readings, or watching to make sure it's stationary for a period of time??

I've had some tall, somewhat flexible landing gear in the past that will wobble quite a bit when the wind blows. A cal that takes that long may be a problem, unless it's really waiting until it know it isn't aren't moving.

As for the legal babble, I'm used to it alright. I tear out the first 10 pages of every manual I get from the company, but they're Dutch

Rusty
Hi Rusty,

Thanks for the question.

The original averaging procedure of UAVP was done immediately after arming. If you were not using the arming switch then it was quite possible for this to be happening while lifting off - the integral term was disarmed while the calibration was happening. So needless to say the neutrals could be anywhere but would eventually - all going well- be cancelled out by the accelerometers. Pretty flakey in my view. The gyros also drift a lot in the first handful of seconds as the chips stabilise.

So the current scheme does the averaging (currently 16 samples) first be before the final throttle enable - I don't wait for the gyro to stabilise. There is a delay of 0.5 sec between each sample. I will give some thought to the wobbly leg problem. Solution is probably more samples with less delay between.

Disclaimers - do what most do, along with the manual, and don't read them - that's what engineers do

Greg
Last edited by gke; Aug 25, 2009 at 02:51 AM.
Aug 24, 2009, 10:29 PM
DR. Know,
I have a ASUS eee
set the display to 1024x768 and the display will pan.
you can exactly see all the window on UAVPSet 3.01

Jack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Know
Hi Jim,

Tom
Aug 25, 2009, 03:30 AM
Hi Rusty,
Glad you found time to try Greg's UAVX!
One note on the default settings that you can load from the testfirmware by pressing shift D, assuming those are the stock settings that you are talking about: They are intended only as a starting point that is safe for most combinations for motors and ESC's and frame sizes. You still have to tweak the parameters from those settings for optimum performance. As for your throttle responses, do you have a baro installed? It sounds like your baro settings or possibly the yaw limiter or yaw P might be a bit high for your particular build. Post your parms and I will be glad to clue you in to what works for others who have been successful...
About the requirement for using and having the arming switch: The requirement to use it is designed purposefully to protect those who decide to walk around with an armed quad and a TX hanging around their neck so that they use it and don't hurt themselves by bumping the throttle while carrying an armed quad and becoming puree de Rusty...
Cheers,
Jim
P.S. Another safety tip: Your TX either already has a throttle lock or you can make one as a mixer setting.
Quote:
Greetings,
Cheers,
Rusty
Last edited by jesolins; Aug 25, 2009 at 03:52 AM.
Aug 25, 2009, 05:26 AM
Well, i'm swiss (ch). And we usually understand english. Nevertheless, a german version would be nice.
At the moment i try to connect my tx/rx.. (graupner).
In fact, i try to select other tx/rx in the pulldown menu. I managed to see the sliders moving in the uavxset. All seven channels.
I have three problems at the moment to solve
- i get beebs and red lights (not the setup blinking)
- i can control the engines (trottle without props), but other channels not seem to react.
- i would like to fly my ufo with the two "joysticks" and the RTH switcher
(potentially later with a three-position switsher a falesave)
With the extra two channels i would like to nick the camera seperatly and
trigger the camera-focus and the "click"

can anybody help me?
If someone in switzerland need a pic-18f let me know. I can burn them overhere!

Thanks for advice and some hints how i can solve my tx/rx problems. Do i have to switch odd-all channels? Etc...

Greg swiss

ps: i also have problems with the stick-setting-handling, as i have to move sticks and connect battery at the same time. I won't use them, i think... or just by accident ;-(... But one RTH and savelanding 3p-switcher would be really cool. Given this setup, its a clear supported flying with the sticks and extra functions with the switcher ;-)). Just some ideas, of course.
Aug 25, 2009, 05:38 AM
gke
gke
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg swiss
Well, i'm swiss (ch). And we usually understand english. Nevertheless, a german version would be nice.
At the moment i try to connect my tx/rx.. (graupner).
In fact, i try to select other tx/rx in the pulldown menu. I managed to see the sliders moving in the uavxset. All seven channels.
I have three problems at the moment to solve
- i get beebs and red lights (not the setup blinking)
- i can control the engines (trottle without props), but other channels not seem to react.
- i would like to fly my ufo with the two "joysticks" and the RTH switcher
(potentially later with a three-position switsher a falesave)
With the extra two channels i would like to nick the camera seperatly and
trigger the camera-focus and the "click"

can anybody help me?
If someone in switzerland need a pic-18f let me know. I can burn them overhere!

Thanks for advice and some hints how i can solve my tx/rx problems. Do i have to switch odd-all channels? Etc...

Greg swiss

ps: i also have problems with the stick-setting-handling, as i have to move sticks and connect battery at the same time. I won't use them, i think... or just by accident ;-(... But one RTH and savelanding 3p-switcher would be really cool. Given this setup, its a clear supported flying with the sticks and extra functions with the switcher ;-)). Just some ideas, of course.
Hi Greg,

If you are getting a continuous beep and a flashing red LED then you may have the Gear switch (Ch5) which acts as the RTH switch ON. The quad will not arm if RTH is engaged as the aircraft would take off and try to climb to the altitude you have set - VERY DANGEROUS indeed if you are standing over it when you switch the arming ON.

If you just get green and flashing red then the throttle needs to be closed.

Otherwise you may be losing frame synchronisation. If you see both the green and the red flashing then this may be the case. If you lose signal long enough 3-4 seconds then you get the lost model alarm which is alternating ON/OFF about every second.

Try this and let me know.

As for using spare channels to drive other servos directly you could try the 6ch version of UAVX but the first 6 channels you have may not be the same as the AR6200; you would need to check. You would also not have control of the GPS gain.

Greg
Last edited by gke; Aug 25, 2009 at 08:13 AM.
Aug 25, 2009, 07:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gke
Looks like the zero throttle setting in the code for the Holger's is incorrect. I will check now but because all of our endpoints are greater than zero maybe I need a threshold.

It's great you are in the air.

CAREFULLY try the attached and see if the motors are stopped. We may need to modify further.

Greg
Hi Greg
I tried this version but nothing has changed
Thanks
Danilo
Aug 25, 2009, 08:10 AM
gke
gke
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danveal
Hi Greg
I tried this version but nothing has changed
Thanks
Danilo
Hi Danilo,

OK.

With the change it should have been zero. Do the props stop after you arm?

Can you tell me what the value in the Rx test is for your minimum throttle please? I need the 0x?? number.

It seems like the throttle value getting to the ESCs is very low as you can stop the props easily by hand.

Late here so I will have to follow up on your replies tomorrow.

Greg
Aug 25, 2009, 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gke
Hi Danilo,

OK.

With the change it should have been zero. Do the props stop after you arm?

Can you tell me what the value in the Rx test is for your minimum throttle please? I need the 0x?? number.

It seems like the throttle value getting to the ESCs is very low as you can stop the props easily by hand.

Late here so I will have to follow up on your replies tomorrow.

Greg
Hi Greg
I did further testing, the engines move slowly with TX ON and with the TX OFF.

With YOUR HEX FILE:

DISARMED
power on, the holger esc is initialized, the engines are stopped for 2-3 seconds, then move slowly as you saw.

ARMED
nothing happens, calibration is not done, no beep
The yellow and green LEDs steady on, the red LED blink slowly
The engines run more slowly as before

With UAVX R695
DISARMED: same as above.
ARMED: calibration is done, after the beep and few seconds, the engines run at idle speed as in the video, if I increase the throttle the uavx flies, all right.

YOUR HEX VERSION, TX is OFF

Rx: Odd Rx Channels PPM
RAW Rx frame values - neutrals NOT applied
Channel order is: TAERG12
Signal OK 0.010 Sec. ago
1: T: 0x0177 50%
2: A: 0x0177 50%
3: E: 0x0177 50%
4: R: 0x0176 49%
5: G: 0x0177 50%
6: 1: 0x0177 50%
7: 2: 0x0177 50%
Gap: 10.500mS
Glitches: 358

YOUR HEX VERSION, TX is ON
P
Signal OK 0.009 Sec. ago
1: T: 0x011F 13%
3: E: 0x0179 50%
4: R: 0x0178 50%
5: G: 0x0154 35%
6: 1: 0x0175 49%
7: 2: 0x0174 48%
Gap: 11.996mS
Glitches: 358

R695 TX OFF

Signal OK 0.001 Sec. ago
1: T: 0x0177 50%
3: E: 0x0177 50%
4: R: 0x0176 49%
5: G: 0x0177 50%
6: 1: 0x0176 49%
7: 2: 0x0177 50%
Gap: 10.500mS
Glitches: 1

R695 TX ON

Signal OK 0.011 Sec. ago
1: T: 0x0120 13%
2: A: 0x0178 50%
3: E: 0x0178 50%
4: R: 0x0177 50%
5: G: 0x0155 35%
6: 1: 0x0174 48%
7: 2: 0x0174 48%
Gap: 12.000mS

THANKS
Danilo
Last edited by Danveal; Aug 25, 2009 at 11:23 AM.
Aug 25, 2009, 02:14 PM
Dear gke

i loaded the 6ch version. I get the split 5 channels
for flying and two channels for application. Goood ;-).

Not armed i have a solid green and a solid yellow
on the UAVXset a can control the
- trottel 000 and 084
- yaw 084 and -084 (here a get a blue beep, why?)
- roll 090 and -076
- pitch 094 and -076 (corners i get blue beeps, why?)
- ch5 008 switch 092 (here i get red beeps - rth right)

armed i get some red blinks and than three red beeps and
one longer red beep and than a solid red
in this mode i can control the trottle ( f course i removed props)

can you give me some advice to get rid of the solide red?

Thanks, greg swiss
Aug 25, 2009, 02:57 PM
Greg,
Based on your information, they are close, but you must still adjust you EPA's and subtrims. The throttle should not be below 2% (*Edit: reduced down to to 2% due to firmware update changes) in the graphic. Here is some instruction:https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...1#post12906340
When it is set up properly you should have a solid green LED through all the stick movements. You will still have a solid red until the GPS takes its first fix. So if you don't have a GPS, it will always be solid red until the battery goes below your alarm set level then it will blink.
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg swiss
Dear gke

i loaded the 6ch version. I get the split 5 channels
for flying and two channels for application. Goood ;-).

Not armed i have a solid green and a solid yellow
on the UAVXset a can control the
- trottel 000 and 084
- yaw 084 and -084 (here a get a blue beep, why?)
- roll 090 and -076
- pitch 094 and -076 (corners i get blue beeps, why?)
- ch5 008 switch 092 (here i get red beeps - rth right)
armed i get some red blinks and than three red beeps and
one longer red beep and than a solid red
in this mode i can control the trottle ( f course i removed props)
can you give me some advice to get rid of the solide red?
Thanks, greg swiss
Last edited by jesolins; Oct 05, 2009 at 09:41 AM.

Quick Reply