Aug 10, 2009, 10:06 AM
vtpraerobatics.blogspot.c om
Thread OP
Cool

Glider Point Frontsiders

I thought i would launch this thread as an archive on Chino Hills State Park's, "Glider Point", a long standing slope enjoyed by many for decades before Arnold closes it down.

EJ
Last edited by oldscooler; May 31, 2010 at 01:40 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 10, 2009, 11:02 AM
Fly low, fly fast
Hey, that A2 looks familiar! Glad you're wringing it out, Mike! Looks like a great time.
Aug 10, 2009, 12:32 PM
David Cairns
My ASW-22 flying at Glider Point this spring.

Multiplex ASW-22 Slope Soaring (9 min 1 sec)
Last edited by dcairns; Jun 03, 2010 at 06:59 PM.
Aug 10, 2009, 02:02 PM
Abundantly deficient.......
Nice Vid David. Great to see the slope that way, answers a few questions as to how that bump of lift develops on the right side. You've been flying at Temple mostly? How would you compare the two hills? cause if they close Glider Point, we'll be coming to Temple regularly.

M
Aug 10, 2009, 02:06 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcairns
Pretty neat...Curious why your landing approaches are in clockwise mode? CCW works much better to bleed off speed at GP.

EJ
Last edited by oldscooler; Aug 11, 2009 at 10:58 AM.
Aug 10, 2009, 03:57 PM
Surf's up!!
Quote:

Hey D
That downwind tip stall had some serious pucker factor . I would like to see that via the onboard cam..

Chip
Aug 10, 2009, 08:02 PM
Windependent Gypsy Pilot
can we still fly there..how do i get there from 15 + 10 fwy?
Aug 10, 2009, 08:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopepilot
can we still fly there..how do i get there from 15 + 10 fwy?
I think we still can.

From 15/10, take 15S -> 91W. Exit Weir Canyon/Yorba Linda, make a right at the exit. Drive about 3-4 mi. and make a right on Fairmont, then make a left on Rimcrest. Park right before the street turns left and the park entrance is on the right hand side (Chino Hills State Park). Go left after passing the gate, then walk up the hill for about 1/2 mi, then fly! Bring water.

Adrian
Aug 11, 2009, 12:52 PM
David Cairns
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptMike
Nice Vid David. Great to see the slope that way, answers a few questions as to how that bump of lift develops on the right side. You've been flying at Temple mostly? How would you compare the two hills? cause if they close Glider Point, we'll be coming to Temple regularly.

M
Actually, I fly more at Glider Point, when I can find the time. I learned to fly there, so it feels comfortable But I have to admit that Temple usually has better lift. For me the traffic factor of getting to Temple from OC makes Glider Point still attractive, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hweeler
Pretty neat...Curious why your landing approaches are in clockwise mode? CCW works much better to bleed off speed at GP.

EJ
I do both directions, in this case I wanted a longer approach, without going back too far, hoping that would cut down the speed. Also with the guys now flying on the Left ridge these days, it can get a bit dicey flying low over their heads and planes while making an approach. Call me an "old timer", but I don't like flying from the left ridge, and think we all should fly from the center, as God intented .

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty9mustang
Hey D
That downwind tip stall had some serious pucker factor . I would like to see that via the onboard cam..

Chip
The view from the on-board cam is just before the external view in the video. It does not look as bad from the air. But you can hear the wind noise die down just as it starts to stall Really pretty stupid that I let that happen, when I see it in video Hindsight is everthing.
Aug 11, 2009, 02:29 PM
Surf's up!!
Quote:
The view from the on-board cam is just before the external view in the video. It does not look as bad from the air. But you can hear the wind noise die down just as it starts to stall Really pretty stupid that I let that happen, when I see it in video Hindsight is everthing.
Thanks D for pointing it out. You are right it does not look as severe from onboard. I watched it about 4 times, glad you had some altitude.

This really gives me something to look forward to. I recently found a replacement fuse for my Mutiplex ASW-22, this winter I am going to try and get her back together to fly next year. I am going to try and keep it as light as possible.

Thanks
Chip
Aug 11, 2009, 04:15 PM
Thread OP
Vintage Glider Point pic of Robert Harold's beautiful scratch built 122" R/C Baby Albatross.
Aug 11, 2009, 04:18 PM
Composites guy
One of the reasons that the left ridge gets used is that often the wind does not hit the ridge straight on but blows more easterly. This make the left ridge work somewhat better. Also, pilots often try their hand at DS stnading on the left ridge in these conditions.
If the wind is from the south the center is fine. I fly both spots depending on the wind. Hope they don't restrict access as this is the only hill I can get to after work( no way to make Temple after 5pm).
Scott
Aug 11, 2009, 04:35 PM
AMA 3959
That looks like a very young Col. Thacker manning the sticks. i would recognize those pants anywhere.
Al
Aug 11, 2009, 05:14 PM
David Cairns
Here are some oldies from my vault.

A Gryphon being flown by the son of the creater of the Gryphon.

Look, no houses down there

My old Kyosho Melody 1500 in the foreground It took a lot of abuse as I learned to fly.

Old fashioned film camera strapped to my BobCat. Funny how the brush is not as high as is it is now a days.

Last edited by dcairns; Feb 24, 2021 at 07:25 PM.
Aug 12, 2009, 12:53 AM

Flashback

Wow, I spotted this thread just out of luck not having contributed much and only lurking (full time job and kids, you understand).

Anyway, I first started flying off of Meats ave and later moved over to Glider Point back in 1984/85. Joined a club up there that was just starting out, I forget the name. Club meetings were some place off of Imperial hwy. In fact, I still have an old club hat and button somewhere. Glider Point Sailplanes or something? I forget.

Anyway, my flying there was always a blast and it motivated me to try 'full scale' flying. In the remainder of the 80's I became a flight instructor and commercial pilot. After a few different locations I'm now living in south OC and always planned on getting back up there with my kids to introduce them to the fun.

I remember that for a time when 'combat' flying was popular the bowl on the left side was for combat flying on the weekends. Before the foamies really got going.

Would be a shame for this place to go away, great place to learn and always had a great group of people there. I think it was the help of the pilots there that encouraged me and my friends to get better and eventually contributed to my love of flight and becoming a full time pilot.

Quick Reply