Futaba 8FG(S) - Page 89 - RC Groups
Dec 10, 2010, 10:28 PM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
You do understand the concept of "channels" on a radio, right?

I'm just hoping they beef up the rest of the programming on the 8FG to take advantage of these additional channels.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 10, 2010, 11:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa
That's the way any good FBL works now. I've never even seen one with a "box".
And heli's don't have ailerons, elevators or rudders. Those are parts of airplanes, office buildings, and boats.
Vespa,

I call it Aileron, elevator and rudder because more than half the readers here don't know what fore/aft, left/right cyclic is, and I want to call it AILERON, ELEVATOR and RUDDER simply because I want to.

I guess you don't know what a control box is on a FBL unit?

Regards,
Doug.
Last edited by DougV; Dec 10, 2010 at 11:45 PM.
Dec 11, 2010, 12:37 AM
REMOVE TRUMP NOW!
Yes, I know that the entire R/C industry uses bizarre and senseless terminology for helis. I just don't like it because it's stupid, confusing, and stupid. Nothing against your correct adherence to industry standards, I'm just hoping to start a movement against this nomenclature.

I hope that someday Futaba and others will realize that most of us are smart enough to understand simple terms like "yaw" or "t/r" without boating analogies.

I suppose there must be FBL units that have a "box" with adjustments like some gyros have. I'm only familiar with modern units where gains are tuned through the TX. These connect with a single S-Bus cable and give you 4CH + 3 gains with a single 7CH satellite. Most FBL require Spektrum of course, but some work with Futaba.
Last edited by vespa; Dec 11, 2010 at 12:42 AM.
Dec 11, 2010, 03:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa
I hope that someday Futaba and others will realize that most of us are smart enough to understand simple terms like "yaw" or "t/r" without boating analogies.
Well, Roll, Pith and Yaw refers to the attitude of the aircraft, whereas Aileron, Elevator and Rudder refers to the control surfaces on a normal aircraft that typically affects the attitude in these directions. From this standpoint it once used to make sense to name the servo channels this way. But with delta wings, helicopters etc. it becomes more diverse. When moving the control sticks it is typically the attitude you want to change - regardless of what actuators are involved in the movement. Therefore it would makes sense to name the control channels (before mixing) Roll, Pitch, Yaw and name the actuator channels (after mixing) the aircraft specific name (rudder, tail pitch, aileron1, aileron2, left cyclic, right cyclic, ...).

Sadly the radios does not seem to discern between names before mixing and after mixing - which is actually very confusing (from my standpoint). Instead they "mix the channels together", and invent concepts like "linked mixes", which are poorly described and nobody seems to really understand.

So Yes! Let us introduce the concept of named control channels (Roll, Pitch, Yaw, ...) and named actuator channels (left aileron, right aileron, ...).
Dec 11, 2010, 04:26 AM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
I don't really care what anyone else chooses to call them... I just like the functionality and capability of programming and controlling the control surfaces of my models (go figure).

By the way, I understand "linked mixes" just fine. They're actually a pretty cool feature in my opinion.
Last edited by Wrend; Dec 11, 2010 at 04:32 AM.
Dec 11, 2010, 06:15 PM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
Quote:
Originally Posted by teookie
I've pretty much decided to get the 8FG for my next radio. Probably won't until early next year though. I hope they don't raise the price when they add two more channels!
I thought there were four extra channels (8+2, 12+2). Or, am I missing something?
Dec 11, 2010, 07:05 PM
A man with too many toys
Has anyone seen information on Futaba telemetry modules or sensors? Exactly what features are they planning?
Dec 13, 2010, 02:27 PM
Re FX 20.......I spoke to Ripmax Futaba Technical Dpt today and they told me to check if the rate switches were plugged in correctly....they are, so now I will have to let them have it to see whats wrong.....fingers crossed. Peter.
Dec 14, 2010, 06:42 AM

8FG Manual - Supplementary notes

From repeated comments on the Web it is clear that there are some 8FG owners failing to get the best out of their radios because of the inadequacy of the manual. I feel that I am getting there but only as a result of many hours of experimentation and cross-checking with the servo monitor. In the process I have kept a brief set of notes as an aide memoire for when I need a particular feature in the future. It is possible that these could be of use to fellow strugglers. Accordingly I attach a copy here . They make no pretence to be a proper user guide (that is Futaba’s responsibility) but hopefully they may be of some help if read in conjunction with the manual. If not, they have cost you nothing. I only fly fixed wing so there is no reference to those features specific to helicopters.

I have now updated these to take account of the Version 3.0 upgrade. See post 1750.
Last edited by MalcolmHolt; Feb 26, 2011 at 09:51 AM.
Dec 14, 2010, 10:57 AM
numnutchris
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmHolt
From repeated comments on the Web it is clear that there are some 8FG owners failing to get the best out of their radios because of the inadequacy of the manual.---
Thanks - I believe it saves some fiddling as I dont know or remember everything by heart - a while between setting up new models and Im stuck with the manual again; so thanks again, especially for the part about linked mixes!
Dec 14, 2010, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmHolt
From repeated comments on the Web it is clear that there are some 8FG owners failing to get the best out of their radios because of the inadequacy of the manual. I feel that I am getting there but only as a result of many hours of experimentation and cross-checking with the servo monitor. In the process I have kept a brief set of notes as an aide memoire for when I need a particular feature in the future. It is possible that these could be of use to fellow strugglers. Accordingly I attach a copy here . They make no pretence to be a proper user guide (that is Futaba’s responsibility) but hopefully they may be of some help if read in conjunction with the manual. If not, they have cost you nothing. I only fly fixed wing so there is no reference to those features specific to helicopters.
Wow. Great notes. Thanks for sharing.
Dec 14, 2010, 12:51 PM
REMOVE TRUMP NOW!
Holy crap! That is a great manual MalcolmHolt! I hope you like your new job at Futaba!
Dec 14, 2010, 09:31 PM
Proverbs 12:15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricoalonso
Wow. Great notes. Thanks for sharing.
+1 Awesome job on the notes!

Doug B.
Dec 14, 2010, 11:48 PM
Will fly for Bourbon
Looks good, great job!

Dave
Dec 14, 2010, 11:59 PM