Jul 16, 2010, 04:16 PM
Will any SD card work? What size do most of you use? I was a JR flyer for a long time so I am new to this SD card stuff.

Thanks,
Tony
to remove ads between posts
Jul 16, 2010, 04:42 PM
A man with too many toys
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogCrewChief View Post
Will any SD card work? What size do most of you use? I was a JR flyer for a long time so I am new to this SD card stuff.

Thanks,
Tony
When I first got my radio I had several SD cards that I tried. Some worked and some did not. I am not a SD card expert so I don’t really know what to look for when purchasing a new card.

Jul 16, 2010, 04:47 PM
Will only certain brands work?
Jul 16, 2010, 04:51 PM
I am using a 2GB SanDisk and had a 1GB Lexar with no problem. Both worked fine.

^R^
Jul 16, 2010, 05:02 PM
Crazy Heli Technogeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricoalonso View Post
I am using a 2GB SanDisk and had a 1GB Lexar with no problem. Both worked fine.

^R^
I'm using a 2GB Patriot "16x" (>3800 model slots, LOL), and a 1GB "A-Data" that I just had laying around from upgrading my cameras cards, both work fine (even though the A-Data card is a crummy card that just came with a camera).

I honestly can't imagine being able to go wrong with any of the "mainstream" SD card makers, there really isn't any need for even a 2GB card (a 1GB card holds like 1900 model slots or so).

-Kai
Jul 16, 2010, 05:54 PM
Ok, thanks! I don't have a need for more models. I just need the SD card for the updates so I will save some money and buy a small one.

Thanks,
Tony
Jul 16, 2010, 05:58 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
I had a 512M Kingston card did not work.

These two do work in my 8FG:
- Dane-Elec 2GB
- Palm 16MB (will hold a few models and upgrade s/w. Happened to have it so stuck it in to see)
Jul 16, 2010, 06:20 PM
Crazy Heli Technogeek
Quote:
Ok, thanks! I don't have a need for more models. I just need the SD card for the updates so I will save some money and buy a small one.

Thanks,
Tony
Just ask some of your buddies if they have any small SD cards that they don't use anymore, for a long time Canon used to supply little 16MB cards with their cameras (completely useless for taking photos with, LOL, they were basically included just so that people buying the cameras could snap a few photos to know the camera works).

-Kai
Jul 16, 2010, 08:02 PM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
Quote:

Thanks,
Tony
Having a SD card compatible Tx is really useful, and with the update now, is also even more user friendly on the 8FG.

You can use them for more than just more model storage, such as model backup in case anything happens to your Tx, sharing models, and of course there are the updates too.

I copy all the models to the SD card for backup, except for some of the test ones I make.

The funny thing is 2GB or maybe 1GB is about the smallest size you can easily find these days at least that's what it seems like to me.
Jul 16, 2010, 08:17 PM
Just realized that my home computer and laptop don't have slots for a SD card! Pretty annoyed.
Jul 16, 2010, 08:22 PM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
You can get an SD card to USB port card reader fairly inexpensively, like $15 or so. They work the same as jump drives. I already had one lying around for use with my digital camera.
Jul 16, 2010, 08:41 PM
Very cool, I did not know that!! Thank you very much!!!!!
Jul 18, 2010, 11:51 AM

A Real Manual

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here and I especially want to thank all who have taken the time to contribute.

This radio, the 8FG, is an upgrade (understatement) from my Futaba 2.4g T6EX. (I've used Futaba radios since the 1970's.) Eventually, I got the 6EX to (sort of) control my DLG. I say this to put my comments below in the context that I am not totally unfamiliar with programming mixes and work-arounds.

I've read through all 65 pages here, studied the Futaba "manual", read the FAQs on the Futaba site and on RCU, and still I struggle to get my new 8FG programmed the way I want. I seem to figure it out eventually, but sometimes seemingly by accident. What's particularly frustrating is I know I've read the pertinent information somewhere-or-other, but where to find it again? (The vast majority of the time, when I go back to the Futaba “manual”, I come away more confused than before.)

- : -

Have any of you seen this? Its what I'll call an 'after-market' manual for the JR 9303. Its some 60 pages cover refreshingly straightforward headings such as "Mixing the Rudder to the Right Stick."
http://www.rcsoaring.com/docs/9303knight.pdf

The author, Mr. Sherman Knight, has done a real service for JR owners; especially those at my particular level of expertise (or admitted lack thereof). He takes a given operation, then leads the reader step by step through the process of programming; almost opposite, (IMHO), from Futaba's approach.

I, for one, would LOVE to have a similar manual for the Futaba 8FG.
Last edited by Woodbender; Jul 18, 2010 at 12:41 PM.
Jul 18, 2010, 09:05 PM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
So you're saying you don't like the manual and want a new one?

I think mainly what it lacks are comprehensive examples of how to use the various features.

For the most part, if I'm not sure of what something does, I find it easy enough to test it out. The servo (channel output) monitoring screen is very useful for that.
Last edited by Wrend; Jul 18, 2010 at 10:47 PM.
Jul 19, 2010, 01:52 AM
New 2.0 firmware makes previous service menu unavaiable.

be consider if you want upgrade, specially those who needs stick recalibration.

Before new service menu entering method be discovered. I suggestion run 1.1 firmware.

Quick Reply