Jun 17, 2010, 08:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tai626
I have read somewhere that 8FG has all 3 position switch hardware, including at SF and SH position. Is it possible to mode the SF to a 3 position switch?

Tai
It's possible to change the SFand SH switch to 3-pos switches, and set coresponding type in service menu.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 18, 2010, 12:51 AM
Thanks, 007. This service menu is worth to take a look.

Tai
Jun 18, 2010, 03:38 PM
Lakas Pinoy

Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai_Shiden
Well that's incorrect info from them then, I happen to know that my 8FG turns on when I plug in the trainer cord, and doesn't transmit unless the power switch is in the "On" position (I've goofed around with it and a model with a motor disconnected to see if I could use the trainer port to record my inputs during a flight, if you plug in the trainer cord first, then flip the power switch, you can do both PPM stream and FASST xmit at the same time).

Even my 9C does the same thing with my AFP sim cord. Basically all that sim cords do is convert "student" signals to inputs for the simulator.

The other thing that's sorta neat, is that with the power switch in the off position, the sim cable plugged into the trainer port, and the AC charge adapter plugged in, the battery on the TX charges while I'm simming (as it does for my friend who uses Phoenix).

Edit, on second thought, maybe realflight doesn't have their adapter setup to properly pull the plug indicator pin to ground (I took a multimeter to mine and one of the pins in my adapter cable is a bridge to ground, that's what indicates to the TX that a device is plugged into the trainer port).

-Kai
Hey Kai, I'm having some issue using my 8FG with phoenix sim. Can you tell me where did you get your sim cord from? I found an old futaba sim cord with the round plug on one end. I cut off the round end and found two wires. I pinned it out it looks like the two wire is connected to two bottom pins the first two pins when you look at it pins facing you and the polarized part is facing down. when I plug this cord in it does not turn on my TX automatically as it did with my JR X9303. Everything seems to be working o.k. but when I calibrate my TX the thr and pitch bar moves at the same time and it does not move smooth like the rest of the bar. Moving my throtle stick will either give me full throtle or maxed pitch or nothing at all. any pointers?
Jun 19, 2010, 11:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Szymon Bartus
Someone mentioned here that Futaba 10CG is made in older technology that 8FG, 12FG and 12Z. I suppose that 8FG was released to replace the Futaba 9C - is this true? If yes, then can we expect the 10CG replacement soon? Have anyone contacted Futaba to ask this?

Regards,
Szymon
Just wondering, what would be a better purchase 8FG 2.4GHZ or 12FG 2.4GHz?
I like everything about 8FG, (price, design) however it is still ‘sport – level’ radio.
However, 12FG is more serious twelve- channel system for more demanding pilots; of course there is a significant price difference. My question is: is 12FG worth the price difference?
Jun 19, 2010, 11:41 PM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
The question is: Is it worth it to you?

If you need what it has to offer over the 8FG, then yes. If you don't, then no.

I don't have a 12FG, so I don't really know exactly how it stacks up with the 8FG, but it seems to me that some 12FG owners also own an 8FG, and they seem pretty happy with it.

If you're talking bang for the buck, then I'd say the 8FG has the advantage, but if cost is less of an issue, then the 12FG does.
Last edited by Wrend; Jun 19, 2010 at 11:52 PM.
Jun 20, 2010, 12:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrend
The question is: Is it worth it to you?

If you need what it has to offer over the 8FG, then yes. If you don't, then no.

I don't have a 12FG, so I don't really know exactly how it stacks up with the 8FG, but it seems to me that some 12FG owners also own an 8FG, and they seem pretty happy with it.

If you're talking bang for the buck, then I'd say the 8FG has the advantage, but if cost is less of an issue, then the 12FG does.
Thank you Wrend for the quick respond,

I agree with you absolutely, 8FG is the best ‘Bang for the Buck’ no question about. There is no such 8 channel 2.4GHz radio on the market that you can obtain for less than $500.
(I am talking about reputable brand names not about Chinese no-name after market products)

You are also having a very good point there - do I need what 12FG can offer over 8FG?
If I thing better probably I don’t. I deem that even 8FG can offer more than I shall ever need. Conclusion is: I shall obtain a new 8FG and for the price difference I’ll buy second receiver and couple of servos.
Jun 20, 2010, 01:57 AM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
To be fair, there are a few radios on (or soon to be on) the market that are competing at about the same level as 8FG, most notably the Hitec Aurora 9, the Airtronics SD-10G, and the Spektrum DX8. All of these radios have some advantages and some disadvantages when compared to each other.

I can honestly say that in my opinion the Futaba 8FG is a very capable and well designed radio. Everything about it is top quality and designed to work together very well, and it doesn't have any of the issues some of the other radios have (or any at all, really). It just works.

I don't have any reason to regret my decision to get one and am still very pleased with it.

I've also been using the 2.4GHz FASST system for a few years now, and I haven't had any problems with it, and I'm very confident in its reliability.
Last edited by Wrend; Jun 20, 2010 at 02:31 AM.
Jun 20, 2010, 08:31 AM
I have both radios.

The 8FG has about 80-85% of the programming power of the FX30 (Euro version of the 12FG). I use the 8FG for all my Sport flying, because its easy to carry in ruck sack for hill climbing/slope soaring and has a small lightweight form factor. I do use the FX30 for all the high end serious competition stuff though. However, the 8Fg is completely capable of doing the high end stuff just without the bells and whistles the 12fg adds. If you are into serious High End moulded gliders using 6-8 servo's and require the ultimate in power/flexibility then the 12FG is the way to go IMO. Its extra facilities elevate it onto a higher plane for sure. The fact that it also comes as standard with a high capacity Lipo battery/charger that gives about 8-9 hours of continuous operation means that you dont have to concern yourself with charging over a weekend comp, a real bonus.

Value for money vs capabilities though, the 8FG is a brilliant radio and anyone who buys one wont be dissapointed.
Jun 21, 2010, 11:28 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
I have been reading this thread off and on so forgive me if this has been answered already.

Some mentioned that the 8FG has about 95% of what some other radios have.

I would like to know what it cannot do?

What is missing from the radio that others radios can do?

thanks

Frank
Jun 21, 2010, 11:42 AM
Fly Low-Fly 3D-Fly Often
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2High
I have been reading this thread off and on so forgive me if this has been answered already.

thanks

Frank
8FG doesn't have the voice option like the 14MZ has, where it will speak when you activate/deactivate various functions. :-) You still need to record your voice in 14MZ for it to speak back so this could the 1% of the things it can't do.
Jun 21, 2010, 01:12 PM
Quote:

thanks

Frank
Frank,

Take a look at this comparison chart, it should give you most of the information you are looking for.

Steve

http://www.futabarc.com/radios/feature-compare.html
Jun 21, 2010, 01:29 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Steve, that helps but I do not see much different.

most of what I am interested in is what programming does it lack.

I fly gliders and love multiple flight modes. Does it have flight modes and separate trims?

Actually, totally separate trims isn't that great. What I would rather have is a common trim and have each flight mode add or subtract from the common trim. this way, if I need 2 clicks of up, I do not need to go into each flight mode/condition and add 2 click of up. I would rather do it once from the trim by the ticks.

What are Programmable Mixes - Curve ?

In the 9303 there are 2 (if I recall) program mixes that define a curve that can be assigned to anything. Does it have this? I use this to mix elevator in when I deploy my flaps so I do not balloon when I drop the flaps.

anything else?

Frank
Jun 21, 2010, 01:48 PM
Quote:
Steve, that helps but I do not see much different.

most of what I am interested in is what programming does it lack.

I fly gliders and love multiple flight modes. Does it have flight modes and separate trims?

Actually, totally separate trims isn't that great. What I would rather have is a common trim and have each flight mode add or subtract from the common trim. this way, if I need 2 clicks of up, I do not need to go into each flight mode/condition and add 2 click of up. I would rather do it once from the trim by the ticks.

What are Programmable Mixes - Curve ?

In the 9303 there are 2 (if I recall) program mixes that define a curve that can be assigned to anything. Does it have this? I use this to mix elevator in when I deploy my flaps so I do not balloon when I drop the flaps.

anything else?

Frank
Frank,

First here is a link to the complete manual. It will tell you most everything the 8FG will do. http://manuals.hobbico.com/fut/8fg-2_4ghz-manual.pdf

We call flight modes "Conditions", yes it does have conditions for normal, start, speed, distance and landing.

Trims may be set up to be combined or separate, that is your choice.

Programmable mixing, the 8FG has 5 programmable mixes in the glider mode; here you can basically mix anything into anything at whatever rate you desire. This might be flaps to elevator or whatever you want. You can assign a switch to turn the mixes on and off as you desire.

I hope this helps.

Steve
Jun 21, 2010, 02:14 PM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
It doesn't offer servo speed control (other than on the throttle channel) or different flight conditions in airplane mode. However, if you really need to use these you could probably set your model up in glider mode. I haven't really tried since I haven't needed to.

There are probably a couple other small quirky things like this that I either don't know of or can't think of off the top of my head. Saying that it does 95% of everything was me really just stating an opinion and rough estimate; not really anything definitive.

One neat thing about the programmable mixes in the 8FG is that they're optionally positively or negatively sum linkable to each other and the built in mixes of the channels. This can effectively give you a few extra mixes for free. I don't know of a setup where I would ever need more mixes than this on 8 proportional and 2 digital channels.
Jun 21, 2010, 03:45 PM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
As is, the 8FG is a great radio, but if Futaba really wanted to corner the market on highly functional, reliable, and well designed radios, I think they could fairly easily do so with added functionality in firmware updates for the 8FG. They would just have to be willing to modify their business model a little.

Radios like the Aurora 9 with their ongoing added functionality in firmware updates, the SD-10G, and the DX8 are all knocking on the door.

Honestly, if I wasn't predisposed to the FASST system and a satisfied Futaba customer of long standing, and the Aurora 9 didn't have higher latency and a couple of the other hardware problems such as the dead-band issue, it would be the radio to get.

For my needs and in my opinion, on the hardware side of the things, the 8FG currently has no competition.

Quick Reply