Mar 06, 2012, 01:13 PM
Thanks guys. Very good info! Part of the reason I went with the 8fg though is because of the HS. So I don't want to hear there is no difference between regular and HS mode, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by numnutchris View Post
(Assuming you havent forgotten to reverse your MOTor/THRottle channel.)
Do I need to reverse the throttle channel? Im using my 8fg for an airplane if it matters.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 06, 2012, 02:05 PM
Stable genius
I'm surprised that your ESC would not handle HS mode. Either it's a really awful design or there's something else going on. ESCs typically use only half of the range of travel, usually 512 steps out of 1024 possible (for example, Castle controllers operate around 1300ms-1812ms). It could be that you are so far out of range that switching to HS mode puts it over the limit -- try reducing your endpoints to 75%.

You can put the ESC on any channel but with that receiver it is very important to use CH3 since that is the only channel with a failsafe function.

P.S. How did you get it working in regular mode without knowing that it needs to be reversed?
Mar 06, 2012, 02:19 PM
numnutchris
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG43 View Post
Thanks guys. Very good info! Part of the reason I went with the 8fg though is because of the HS. So I don't want to hear there is no difference between regular and HS mode, lol.

Do I need to reverse the throttle channel? Im using my 8fg for an airplane if it matters.
Yes - Using Futaba and probably any ESC brand the channel choosen should be REV (LNK - REVERSE menu) prior to any calibration or programming of the ESC.
(but should maybe mention I havent tried any Futaba brand ESC)
Mar 06, 2012, 02:25 PM
I am using a Airboss 45amp esc (from extreme flight). A decently high end esc I believe. It is probobly something I'm doing wrong.

I actually reversed the throttle trying to get the esc working in hs mode. But it just beeps like crazy and doesn't work in hs mode. So I tried normal mode for the heck of it and everything worked fine. So I actually do have the throttle channel reversed but didn't know it was a must for it to work.

I'll plug the esc back into channel 3 and work on it.

Thanks for the help. It's a real pain learning a new transmitter.

How do I get rid of the VPP #1 on the bottom? Does that mean variable pitch prop?
Last edited by TG43; Mar 06, 2012 at 02:32 PM.
Mar 06, 2012, 02:38 PM
numnutchris
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG43 View Post
I am using a Airboss 45amp esc (from extreme flight). A decently high end esc I believe. It is probobly something I'm doing wrong.

I actually reversed the throttle trying to get the esc working in hs mode. But it just beeps like crazy and doesn't work in hs mode. So I tried normal mode for the heck of it and everything worked fine. So I actually do have the throttle channel reversed but didn't know it was a must for it to work.

I'll plug the esc back into channel 3 and work on it.

Thanks for the help. It's a real pain learning a new transmitter.

How do I get rid of the VPP #1 on the bottom? Does that mean variable pitch prop?
You have a line in the ESC manual on Futaba and REV. Probably you should contact EF support and ask if your ESC works with 1520us only.
VPP is easier - LNK - FUNCTION and scroll to whatever VPP is assigned for and either change the function of that channel to something else (AUX1-6 maybe) or assign VPP to null (--) instead.
Mar 06, 2012, 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa View Post
You can put the ESC on any channel but with that receiver it is very important to use CH3 since that is the only channel with a failsafe function.
The HS mode is only available on the 8 channel FASST receivers. He is running in MULTI mode which provides fail safe on all channels.

Bruce
Mar 06, 2012, 03:13 PM
HS mode is also available on the 6 channel receiver like the R6106 that he's using, and that receiver has FS on the throttle channel only.

Doug.
Mar 06, 2012, 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougV View Post
HS mode is also available on the 6 channel receiver like the R6106 that he's using, and that receiver has FS on the throttle channel only.

Doug.
Doug, you are right, I forgot about the R6106.

Bruce
Mar 06, 2012, 09:19 PM
On the topic of hs mode....

If I am using a fasst 8 channel Rx, 4 hitec digital servos and an airboss 45 esc should I switch over to hs mode? This setting only needs to be set on the Rx right?
Mar 06, 2012, 09:24 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
correct go HS!!
Mar 06, 2012, 10:29 PM
Can I use a 3 channel receiver RS6203 for my Stryker F27C? I did setup a model and chose flying wing as the model type. I changed channel 2 to AUX 6. Elevator works but aileron only channel one works and channel 2 doesnt move.
Mar 07, 2012, 01:13 AM
Stable genius
Of course you can use the 3CH. Just put all your stuff (Ail, Ele, Mot) on the first 3 channels from the function menu. Ignore everything else in there and don't use any Aux anything.
Mar 07, 2012, 03:58 AM
Bo Edstrom, Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickBee View Post
On the topic of hs mode....

If I am using a fasst 8 channel Rx, 4 hitec digital servos and an airboss 45 esc should I switch over to hs mode? This setting only needs to be set on the Rx right?
Hi,
Yes, You only need to set HS mode in the HS capable Futaba receiver. I have two HS receivers myself, R6014HS where You have High Speed on ch 1-6 when HS is activated, and R6008HS where You also can activate HS for ch 1-6. HS mode gives framerate of 7 milliseconds compared to normal mode with 14 ms.

Only digital servos including Futaba BLS (brushless) can take advantage of Futaba HS mode as far as I know. Analog servos goes into non HS channels on the reciever.

/Bo
Mar 07, 2012, 04:14 AM
Oxford Panic
As well as speeding up the frame rate, does the HS mode also result in a lower latency?

A.
Mar 07, 2012, 05:31 AM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
Yes, total average latency is reduced a little in HS mode.

http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/t172571p1/

Quick Reply