Feb 04, 2010, 12:41 AM
North Simcoe Flyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcervantes11
Also in idle up trottle curve would be a v like 100 75 50 75 100 but this is for helis. For planes well like heli mode and plane you can customize how you want it to act.
I could see that if you had a reverse pitch prop. Some of the electric 3D plane guys would use that similar to what the collective does on a heli. Kinda weird to see a plane come straight down, then reverse and fly backwards.....just not right!!
to remove ads between posts
Feb 04, 2010, 02:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwings
I could see that if you had a reverse pitch prop. Some of the electric 3D plane guys would use that similar to what the collective does on a heli. Kinda weird to see a plane come straight down, then reverse and fly backwards.....just not right!!
Oh ofcourse but how much people uses reverse pitch prop? Not to much.
Feb 05, 2010, 01:32 PM
Just ordered one from tower. Hard to pass up a receiver for $10, free shipping, and $60 off!!!
Feb 05, 2010, 03:29 PM
Everyone Rc heli magazine (feb) have a eview of Futaba 8fg!!
Last edited by jcervantes11; Feb 05, 2010 at 04:06 PM.
Feb 05, 2010, 05:23 PM
A man with too many toys
Thread OP
The 8FG is definitely the best combination of advanced features and price that Futaba has come up with in a long time.

I would say that it’s today’s best deal on a medium-high end radio. I call it medium-high because it’s much more advanced than other mid range radios and has most of the features of the 12FG.

Feb 05, 2010, 05:37 PM
Crazy Heli Technogeek
I put some flights on mine, I'm absolutely loving this radio in combination with the R6106HF in highspeed mode. I've never felt such immediate and direct control, nor this much precision before , freaking incredible (oh, and two thumbs way up for the swash eCCPM correction options).

-Kai
Feb 05, 2010, 05:39 PM
It is great to hear all the good reports about this system. I am really looking forward to getting mine and playing with it. I can't believe I made the switch after being a loyal JR user for over 10 years. I have heard such great things about FASST so I switched.
Feb 05, 2010, 06:06 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Well I could not take it anymore with all you guys going on about how much you like this radio! Had to skip out of work early to go and see one of these for myself. Nice radio, but have to admit first impression I was a little disappointed as it does not feel as "rich" in quality compared to the JR9503. The guy in the store tried to convince me to go JR, but I just couldn't do it..........and brought home a new Futaba 8FG with an extra receiver. I am glad to hear all the good feedback to comfort me in my decision to purchase one. Now gotta run and charge it up!
Feb 05, 2010, 06:50 PM
I agree that it does not feel as "rich" as the 9503. That has always been my problem with Futaba radios, they just felt a little cheap. I really think they got it right with the 8FG, it feels great in your hands. I like how small and light it is. The 9503 is big and heavy and gets uncomfortable if you fly for a long time.
Feb 05, 2010, 07:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwings
Well I could not take it anymore with all you guys going on about how much you like this radio! Had to skip out of work early to go and see one of these for myself. Nice radio, but have to admit first impression I was a little disappointed as it does not feel as "rich" in quality compared to the JR9503. The guy in the store tried to convince me to go JR, but I just couldn't do it..........and brought home a new Futaba 8FG with an extra receiver. I am glad to hear all the good feedback to comfort me in my decision to purchase one. Now gotta run and charge it up!
Yea my futaba 8fg doesn't look like a expensive futaba or expensive jr radio but it have plenty settings that we will ever need. I love my radio. Yesturday i received my logictech 6100t with 6100g servo, its .05 tail servo anyways wow i'm impress with this radio, i never had a solid feel with a gyro with it until this logictech, i have solid feel and full control of my heli but i ordered my logictech gyro with servo which is a 300 dollar gyro but is for 179 dollars at amainhobby, wow i am soo happy with my 8fg, work great with logictech if not BAD ASS.
Feb 05, 2010, 07:45 PM
Crazy Heli Technogeek
Hehe, I'm the same way, I actually like the feel of the 8FG better than my DX7, of friend's 9303, or for that matter even my 9CHP. To me all the other radios feel the same, like a box to be held, hard to get a firm hold on while flying pinch (I alternate between flying thumbs and flying pinch, depending upon the aircraft). Just like anything else, it's personal taste.

While I think they could have safely still gone farther with the ergonomics of the 8FG and had a successful product, I can certainly understand their concern with going too far and being observed as feeling like a toy or worse .

I hate trying to keep my DX7 and 9CHP clean and looking good, all those little ridges and sharp inside corners are a royal pain to get dust and grime out from (especially when I'm out flying with nitro guys, LOL), the 8FG by comparison should be quite easy to just wipe down from time to time to keep it looking good.

My flying buddies who have played with my 8FG have noted that it's thin, I tell them that I would rather have it be too thin than too thick, we can always add thickness in the way of rubber grips or even gel pads (I'm thinking of cutting some gel comfort grips to add to the back of mine for an even better grip on the TX). Making thinner would not be a prospect that I would like to think about trying .

-Kai
Feb 05, 2010, 08:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai_Shiden
Hehe, I'm the same way, I actually like the feel of the 8FG better than my DX7, of friend's 9303, or for that matter even my 9CHP. To me all the other radios feel the same, like a box to be held, hard to get a firm hold on while flying pinch (I alternate between flying thumbs and flying pinch, depending upon the aircraft). Just like anything else, it's personal taste.

While I think they could have safely still gone farther with the ergonomics of the 8FG and had a successful product, I can certainly understand their concern with going too far and being observed as feeling like a toy or worse .

I hate trying to keep my DX7 and 9CHP clean and looking good, all those little ridges and sharp inside corners are a royal pain to get dust and grime out from (especially when I'm out flying with nitro guys, LOL), the 8FG by comparison should be quite easy to just wipe down from time to time to keep it looking good.

My flying buddies who have played with my 8FG have noted that it's thin, I tell them that I would rather have it be too thin than too thick, we can always add thickness in the way of rubber grips or even gel pads (I'm thinking of cutting some gel comfort grips to add to the back of mine for an even better grip on the TX). Making thinner would not be a prospect that I would like to think about trying .

-Kai
To clean just the dust out of futba 8fg, use those compress air spray that works great (computer cleaner). Yea i like how it feels, its all about realible, feature and how it feels on the hand then the looks.
Last edited by jcervantes11; Feb 05, 2010 at 08:46 PM.
Feb 05, 2010, 10:28 PM
QiW
QiW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai_Shiden
I put some flights on mine, I'm absolutely loving this radio in combination with the R6106HF in highspeed mode. I've never felt such immediate and direct control, nor this much precision before , freaking incredible (oh, and two thumbs way up for the swash eCCPM correction options).

-Kai
i am curious about this eCCPM correction function .. how does it work ??
and i thought high speed mode only works with HS receivers ??
i HAD an 8FG and sold it off b4 i could fully make heads or tails of it (now flying dx7) .. i could not even get R617FS to bind in high speed mode it only binds in 7 channel mode on the tx
due to too many lockouts with dsm2 (ar6100) .. i will prolly be getting back the 8FG (again) in a few days time from LHS
Feb 05, 2010, 11:24 PM
Crazy Heli Technogeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by QiW
i am curious about this eCCPM correction function .. how does it work ??
and i thought high speed mode only works with HS receivers ??
i HAD an 8FG and sold it off b4 i could fully make heads or tails of it (now flying dx7) .. i could not even get R617FS to bind in high speed mode it only binds in 7 channel mode on the tx
due to too many lockouts with dsm2 (ar6100) .. i will prolly be getting back the 8FG (again) in a few days time from LHS
The eCCPM corrections are basically a bunch of preprogrammed mixes for reducing the interactions inherint in eCCPM type mixing (far more than most radios support in available programmable mixes). I assume that the eCCPM correction mixes are programmed directly in the eCCPM processing algorithms of the TX (truthfully, probably just adjustable variables written right into the eCCPM algorithms), so they don't have the issue that using programmable mixes to do the same thing would have. Program mixes are globally applied and not placing their variables efficently into the eCCPM mixing algorithms, so doing it in programmable mixes could cause eCCPM calculation latency. By having to apply another set of algorithms after the eCCPM algorithims have done their thing, other TX's can end up doing 2 or more sets of calculations instead of a single set that takes all the variables into account at once.

For example, on my Ricco when I applied positive collective, there was some elevator movement, it was a simple thing to dial the PIT->ELE correction percentage till it flattened out. After I tweaked it a bit with some of the available pre-programmed mixes in the "swash mix" menu, the swash moves up and down nice and flat throughout the range, and aileron/elevator actions are true in their axis. When I get it outdoors (darn weather), I'll really fine tune it based upon behaviors in flight.

The R617FS is not a high speed RX, as far as I know the only ones that are high speed are the R6014HS, R6008HS, the R6106HF and R6106HFC (all are listed as having a 7ms framerate mode). Only the ones that the easy link button on the RX is also marked with a "mode" option have the HS mode (marked "Link/Mode", any that are marked "Easy Link" only have regular mode).

High speed mode refers to the framerate that the RX sends to the servos, the 8FG/12FG I believe are always talking to the RX in a high speed protocol, just when the RX is in normal mode it's only handing off some of the position packets (basically, the other packets are redundancy in case of interference, why send only the same packets in a normal refresh rate when you can be sending 7ms framerate packets?). I think that when they created the 8FG and 12FG high speed TX's, they took the normal FASST protocol and used the redundant packets as extra updates instead of pure redundancy.

As others have mentioned, most lockouts are actually caused by brownouts, so double check that you are supplying reliable enough power to the RX, as brownouts will affect FASST the same as DSM2 by causing the RX to have to reboot (that much is the same, no matter which 2.4ghz system is used).

-Kai

P.S. The 7ch mode is high speed as well with a matching RX in HS mode, the multi mode is simply for use with RX's with more than 7ch (R6008HS, and R6014FS/HS).
Feb 06, 2010, 12:16 AM
North Simcoe Flyers
Played a little more with it and am not regretting the 8FG purchase. I have an older JR XP783 which pretty much feels same as the JR9503, and I think that "comfort" feeling kept me looking at the DX7 and 9530. However, after handling the 8FG some more and comparing to my XP783 (which I just love BTW), the 8FG feels much more comfortable to hold. I like the slim case as it fits my hands well and easy switch access. I have relatively long fingers, but always seemed to struggle getting a comfortable grip on the JR as I typically use the "pinch" method on the sticks. The SensorTouch is simply awesome. Have not played with it too much in programming as going to let the battery charge up first. Going to put my $11 receiver (Bummer had to pay a little more here in Canada ) into a small heli as can't wait to use the radio. Planes are hibernating for the winter.

Quick Reply