This thread is privately moderated by 68Strat, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 09, 2009, 02:48 AM
Thread OP
Cool

Triplane fever!

Well lately I have been fiddling around with a few tripes I built off the basic plans provided in this great thread: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1049080

Really great little plans (the pdfs are what I used)

I have always loved the Fokker DR.1 and in winter of 2008 I converted a guillows kit rather hastily. It flew okay but wasn't strong enough to last more than a few flights. The little airframe was toast after a mid flight wing failure...

Well anyways I built the first triplane more out of curiosity than anything. After messing around with wing incidence it became a great flyer but after MANY modifications and a rather sloppy paint job it soon became too heavy for relaxing flying. This is when I began to build version 2. I wanted it more scale... more practical and lighter and able to fly in smaller spaces! I opted for a smaller 1000Mah 3s pack in this plane which is accessed inside the fuse (against the firewall) through a hinged canopy hatch.

The planes main parts are made up of Dow Protection board

Top Wing Span: 28.5"
AUW: 11.2 ounces
Motor: KMS (Bp 18 clone) with 18 amp esc
Prop: Balanced hobby king 10x4.7
Radio: 2.4 Ghz FASST reciever 2x Futaba micro servos (may add 2 more for aileron control)
Batteries used: 1000 and 1500Mah 3s packs

I flew V2 this past evening and the flight went off without a hitch! Beautiful little flyer and I would encourage any tripe lovers to try this model (I'd be happy to help with the specs!)

Enjoy the pics

-Pete
Last edited by 68Strat; Oct 25, 2018 at 03:18 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 09, 2009, 08:45 AM
Thread OP
I flew this morning! What a great little plane... Landings are my favorite part! They look great.

Video + in flight shots of V2 coming soon.
Last edited by 68Strat; Aug 09, 2009 at 09:07 AM.
Aug 09, 2009, 10:45 AM
Back in the game.
Looks like a nice plane, Does it fly well on a 3ch setup?
Aug 09, 2009, 12:37 PM
Thread OP
Thanks! It flies pretty darn well on the 3ch but I have added ailerons to V2 because I wanted the extra control for landing. ANY minor cross wind is a bit hard to overcome with only rudder on this bird. Interestingly enough, with high enough throw on the rudder the plane will perform a pretty neat barrel roll and even a more axial one too.
Aug 09, 2009, 01:19 PM
Thread OP
Ailerons
Aug 15, 2009, 12:26 PM
Back in the game.
Cool! my old Pico moth used to do barrel rolls on rudder only! so fun to watch! How stable would you say it is (on low enough throws of course)? Could someone who never flew before fly it with a little coaching?
Aug 16, 2009, 05:59 PM
Suspended Account
Tripes look good Strat, and nice foam work too.
I still have my Guillows DR1, which still flys from time to time, whenever I'm in the mood to fly a pendulum. Actually quite stable and controllable, but sways constantly from side to side.

BTW, you're gettin' old there bro. What's that stuff on your face?

Quick Reply