Oct 04, 2010, 08:43 PM
Luis Claudio - Rio - Brazil
Very nice project! I am looking for this project to build for months...

Would be difficult to put an EDF? It really deserves it!
to remove ads between posts
Oct 04, 2010, 09:08 PM
Turn 'N Burn
Head,
my only EDF is the F4 phantom see here
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=484
it's a fun plane once you learn to launch it and always keep the airspeed up!
sorry for the hijack - Head - you gotta watch this one too!
RC F4 Phantom EDF Jet F A S T -b (1 min 55 sec)

Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain

Trooper
I've been rumbled again! What can I say, I'm just a sucker for pusher jets. Not had a great deal of success with my EDF models. My Phase 3 f-16 crashed on maiden after a flight of at least 10 seconds. The nose now resembles a court jesters shoe but without the bell. At least it only cost me £25 as it was a club mates cast off. It helps that he is a reviewer for several UK RC mags so always has ex test models to sell on.
Head
Last edited by trooper8; Oct 04, 2010 at 09:13 PM.
Oct 05, 2010, 01:44 AM
Reap the wild wind
Quote:
Originally Posted by siddus
Just needs paint . . .

Scott.
Have you had chance to maiden your Hawk? Interested to here how it flys with your heavy power set up following Mayday's comments about his lighter 2 cell option.
I must admitt to being guilty of going for more powerful set up's at the expense of heavier supporting components (lipo's,esc etc) My 28" Skyray (GPW thread)uses a 2212/06,2200 3 cell,40 amp esc and has a correx covered 2 layer depron fuse=heavy. Love the way it flys but I know GPW's much lighter build has unlimited vertical with a modest BW set up. Did the same thing with Dekan's F-22.
Head
Oct 05, 2010, 02:49 AM
Scott Quinn
Not had chance to fly mine yet - I am going to try it on the installed set up as I dont want another wannabe jet that does not live up to my expectations. My problem is that the shuttle being a full delta has a large wing area compared to the overall wieght and size and supports the 221206 30amp and 1800 S3 @ 321 watts with out a problem whilst giving stunning performance.

It seems the full deltas can support the heavier installs, I have a concorde thats got the 2212-06 setup and is only about 450 grams and an SR71 with the same setup and about 480 grams. Im just not prepared to buy another motor / battery combo that may not migrate to other models as easy as the 2212-06 park jet setup - mayby enlarging it to 130% will be better but the hawk has tiny wings for its mass at any size unlike the deltas. A friend of mine built a shuttle and put a 3S 2300 in it - geeze it was fast, but flew heavy.

My fear is If I install a lighter less powerfull setup I will be dissapointed and will just not fly it and end up giving it away when it takes space up. I am willing to sacrifce the airframe if it cannot support the powersetup, atleast I will get one exilarating flight

The RCPowers Vector Mig and Space Shuttle are exceptional!!, Ive had 2 shuttles and 3 Migs, headless if you enjoy the 221206 Parkjet setups build both of them they are awsome fun
Last edited by siddus; Oct 05, 2010 at 02:55 AM.
Oct 06, 2010, 06:24 PM

painted up

have the plane painted and installing electronics to night.will maiden on sunday if weather permits.
Last edited by popedan; Oct 06, 2010 at 10:04 PM.
Oct 06, 2010, 06:24 PM
"plane don't hurt"
Thread OP
great, keep us updated.. some pics too!
Oct 07, 2010, 01:08 AM
Reap the wild wind
Like the colour scheme. Good luck with the maiden but I wouldn't trust that pilot shown in the first photo
Head
Oct 07, 2010, 04:04 AM
Me either... let her wife meets him outside home.. he´ll be without his head

Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain
Like the colour scheme. Good luck with the maiden but I wouldn't trust that pilot shown in the first photo
Head
Oct 07, 2010, 09:58 AM

Edf

I've started building a 40mm edf version of the BAE hawk. Its been scaled down to an 18 inch wingspan. At the moment its just foam but I will put in some electronics soon.
Oct 07, 2010, 10:02 AM
Wow !

BINGO! Thís one I´ll defenitively follow! Please, post the details!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHuddart
I've started building a 40mm edf version of the BAE hawk. Its been scaled down to an 18 inch wingspan. At the moment its just foam but I will put in some electronics soon.
Oct 07, 2010, 11:41 AM

40mm EDF Hawk

Thanks Luis Claudio
The EDF I'm going to use is the AEO ADF40-100 8100kv with 12 amps esc.
Gives 150g thrust so it should have plenty of power.
I'm not sure what servos to use though. I will use a 5g servo for ailerons but don't know how to set up elevator possible ideas in pics attached elevator servo(s) will be 3.7g. The middle section (inside of the jet) of the elevator will have to be removed to make room for the exhaust. I will probably use a 500mah 2 cell.

If anyone has any ideas of how to set up the elevator please tell me.

Adam
Oct 07, 2010, 02:14 PM
Turn 'N Burn
Wow, I'll be watching this one too! I'd tie the 2 sides of the elev together with a rod on the pivot axis and live with it going thru the exhaust and drive with 1 servo similar to your sketch.
Oct 07, 2010, 02:37 PM
Is there a similar project in "mini edf´s thread" from Nitrocharged.. take a look:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=30761
Oct 07, 2010, 02:44 PM
Here ´s the link from the building process:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=689156
Oct 07, 2010, 03:53 PM
"plane don't hurt"
Thread OP
yea, the nitrocharged thread on the bae hawk is one i followed for awhile and eventually led to my own design.

Quick Reply