Lumenier RB2205C-12 2400KV SKITZO Ceramic Bearing Motor
Thread Tools
Old Aug 06, 2009, 12:29 PM
elglobie is offline
Find More Posts by elglobie
Registered User
Discussion

Needing a battery package of around 100 Whr that can be charged in about 20 minutes..


One solution I found myself (as a noob) is the following

A123 2300 mAh having 7.6 Whr > so needing 100/7.6 = 13.15 , rounded to 14 of those cells.

Then I will need 7 sonic chargers for those 14 batteries.


Problem with this set-up is the amount of chargers I have to carry around , I will also need to buy AC > DC converter since I want to load using AC power.


Any other solution with fewer chargers as long as the charge time stays around 20 minutes ?
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2009, 12:52 PM
mrforsyth is online now
Find More Posts by mrforsyth
Registered User
In what configuration will your pack be in its application? e.g. How many cells in series? This will make a big difference on whether you need a high current or high voltage charger.

Sounds like the Mastech switching power supplies may work well for you application. Which one depends on your pack configuration.

Another option would be the iChargers in conjunction with a good power supply. Hyperion, Thunder Power, and a few others make high current chargers but I personally prefer the iChargers.

Mark
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 06, 2009, 01:27 PM
elglobie is offline
Find More Posts by elglobie
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth
In what configuration will your pack be in its application? e.g. How many cells in series? This will make a big difference on whether you need a high current or high voltage charger.

Sounds like the Mastech switching power supplies may work well for you application. Which one depends on your pack configuration.

Another option would be the iChargers in conjunction with a good power supply. Hyperion, Thunder Power, and a few others make high current chargers but I personally prefer the iChargers.

Mark

There is some flexibility in the configuration, as long as the Voltage is between 12 and 18 Volt so 4 or 5 cells in series

Mastech is no option because of the weight...I am looking for a highly mobile solution
Last edited by elglobie; Aug 06, 2009 at 02:20 PM.
Old Aug 06, 2009, 01:32 PM
elglobie is offline
Find More Posts by elglobie
Registered User
Found another solution :


http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...OD&ProdID=5033

Would break up this 130 Whr battery package into 3 4-cell packages of 12.8 V each and buy 3 separate chargers > http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...OD&ProdID=4952 > this charger works on 240 V A/C BUT weight of 2 kilo's

Loading of all , would take around 30 minutes.
Last edited by elglobie; Aug 06, 2009 at 02:22 PM.
Old Aug 06, 2009, 03:12 PM
tai626 is online now
Find More Posts by tai626
Registered User
To charge 100 Wh in 20 Min, you need 300 W charger. The ICharger 208i is a good candidate depend on the voltage you need. 7s2p A123 will give you 100Wh and 20 min charge time.
Old Aug 06, 2009, 04:13 PM
elglobie is offline
Find More Posts by elglobie
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by tai626
To charge 100 Wh in 20 Min, you need 300 W charger. The ICharger 208i is a good candidate depend on the voltage you need. 7s2p A123 will give you 100Wh and 20 min charge time.

Looks like I can go up to 9s2p A123 on the 208B (not "i" ?), correct ?
Old Aug 06, 2009, 05:02 PM
tai626 is online now
Find More Posts by tai626
Registered User
Oops, 208b is the correct one. 9s2p A123 is a little more than 100Wh. 208b can charge up to 8s in balancing mode. It also can charge 10s A123 in non balancing mode. There are several charger rated over 300W: Bantam 8dx, hyperion duos, etc
Old Aug 06, 2009, 05:05 PM
elglobie is offline
Find More Posts by elglobie
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by tai626
Oops, 208b is the correct one. 9s2p A123 is a little more than 100Wh. 208b can charge up to 8s in balancing mode. It also can charge 10s A123 in non balancing mode. There are several charger rated over 300W: Bantam 8dx, hyperion duos, etc
Which charger do you recommend and where to buy it ?
Old Aug 06, 2009, 07:26 PM
mrforsyth is online now
Find More Posts by mrforsyth
Registered User
208B from David at Progressive RC.

Mark
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 06, 2009, 08:41 PM
tai626 is online now
Find More Posts by tai626
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth
208B from David at Progressive RC.

Mark
ditto for 208b

Bantam and hyperion at rcacessory.com
Old Aug 06, 2009, 10:34 PM
highflier is offline
Find More Posts by highflier
Speed cost money.
highflier's Avatar
Hmmm 9s2p.

A deep cycle or 2 and then 6 DB terminators should do the trick.

Each db terminator will cost about 10.00 You can use your car battery instead of a deep cycle. Especailly if you leave the engine running.

Highflier
Old Aug 06, 2009, 10:59 PM
RC Accessory is offline
Find More Posts by RC Accessory
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by tai626
ditto for 208b

Bantam and hyperion at rcacessory.com
Thanks, www.rcaccessory.com
Site Sponsor


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cool Battery can be charged in 10 seconds Kaw1000 Batteries and Chargers 24 Mar 14, 2009 03:08 PM
Discussion Is there something that can be done to allow long battery wires? Lynxman Power Systems 5 May 17, 2007 03:46 AM
Help! Is there a battery switch that can be used for the CX? Lordgalla Coaxial Helicopters 3 Feb 06, 2007 09:46 PM
Speed 480, inline gear drive, speed control, battery package kirtley Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 6 Jan 23, 2003 10:54 PM
Battery connector for RFFS-100? Timmy Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 2 Oct 23, 2002 10:56 PM