Aug 06, 2009, 01:07 AM
Registered Drug Free
Thread OP
Discussion

Parkzone P-51 Gunfighter Modification Thread

Thought it would be good to pool all the mods into one thread, as it evolves I’ll try and update the first post with links to the different mods on other pages. Feel free to add you own mods and advice.

Note: If you are going to post pictures with your mods, please use the attachment function to save people from scrolling and needlessly wasting of their bandwidth.

I wasn’t happy with the horizontal stab on my gunfighter, and as I’ll be flying at my local sports field, the last thing I want is for anyone to be injured, as such it will take priority..

For this mod I’ll build a new stab and elevator from ½ inch balsa sheet, and hinge it with Dubro standard nylon hinges DUB116 I will also reinforce the two elevator halves with 1/16th 3 ply.

The work so far…

...and all finished!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqG112kGc4c
Last edited by LunaRendezvous; Aug 15, 2009 at 08:32 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 06, 2009, 02:49 AM
Registered Drug Free
Thread OP
Reserved.
Aug 09, 2009, 05:38 AM
Registered Drug Free
Thread OP

Battery Strap Mod

Battery Strap Mod

This is a very common and straight forward modification, which not only allows you to use larger batteries but also adjust there position for optimal centre of gravity.

Use a new blade in your hobby knife to cut out the foam from behind the original battery strap, so that there is one continuous slot running from the receiver to the forward compartment. Then glue in a strip or two of Velcro.

Mark and cut 2x 2 1/2inch lengths of K&S 7/64 aluminium tubing, but any small diameter will do. The easiest way to cut it is to place the tube on a beer coaster and then put the blade of your hobby knife on top of the tube and roll it along the coaster.

Then cut two 3 inch lengths of heavy duty fishing line and insert it into the tube. This help stop the tube from kinking when you bend it and generally adds strength. Then go ahead and make the bends with a pair of pliers. Once the bends are done you can trime the line and sharpen the ends of the tube with a file, this will make pushing them into the foam a synch.

Push your newly made staples into the foam where you want the battery to be held, for my set up that was just in front of the hole where the aileron servo leads go. Once you have checked their position you can remove them and fill the holes with epoxy. Run the battery strap under the staples and then put them back in and allow the glue to set.

The last thing that needs to be done is to slice the foam hump off the bottom of the hatch/canopy cover. This can weaken the canopy some as the foam is quite thin in that area, so treat it gentle. If needed reinforce that area with a small piece of silk and epoxy resin.

Mike.
Last edited by LunaRendezvous; Aug 25, 2009 at 12:38 AM.
Aug 09, 2009, 07:39 AM
Yes another Spitfire
Cool post Luna thanks for you tips
Aug 15, 2009, 08:34 AM
Registered Drug Free
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLMARK
Cool post Luna thanks for you tips

Cheers Mark, should have another fix/mod posted on Monday

Mike.
Aug 23, 2009, 07:34 PM
God is my pilot
Thanks for the pictures/mods! I just came home with some 1/4" balsa Friday and was ready to build my own elevator. Your pictures will be a big help. I like the ply reinforcement.

Get out the dust mask!
Aug 23, 2009, 11:53 PM
How did you cut the bottom of the battery tray so cleanly?
Aug 24, 2009, 12:00 AM
sKrude up, Rejected!
Twin Mustang mod:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1095175
Sorry Luna,
It is a mod!
Aug 24, 2009, 10:48 PM
Luna- Your Hstab looks awesome, any interest in making more and selling them?
Aug 24, 2009, 10:52 PM
Plane Crazy!!!
Anyone who swapped out the stock prop for a Trojan prop did you also have to use the Trojan's collet adapter?
Aug 24, 2009, 11:32 PM
Registered Drug Free
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickbm3
How did you cut the bottom of the battery tray so cleanly?
Nick, to cut the battery slot I used a standard utility knife (see pic) with a fresh blade. Do the vertical cuts first, measure how deep they need to be, and then place a small piece of masking tape on the blade so you know how far down you are cutting. Once you have sliced the foam vertically, go in a slight angle and remove wedges of foam on each side of the battery slot. You will end up with a "W" shape, then remove the tape and extend the knife blade as far as it will go and carefully slice out the middle " ^ " section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickbm3
Luna- Your Hstab looks awesome, any interest in making more and selling them?
...thanks

Sorry Nick, It takes a few hours to make one so it would not be cost effective, also my time is very limited these days. It really is not that difficult to carve balsa, a sharp knife and a sanding block are the minimum tools required, just remember to always cut away from yourself and fingers (number one rule ! never forget it ), get the lightest wood in the rack and enjoy the experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFly.
Twin Mustang mod:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1095175
Sorry Luna,
It is a mod!
No worries Dave, The more the merrier! Been keeping an eye on that thread, looks like you're coming along nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilo60
Anyone who swapped out the stock prop for a Trojan prop did you also have to use the Trojan's collet adapter?
I have not tried this myself, but it looks as if it will work, the motor shaft is identical.

Mike.
Last edited by LunaRendezvous; Aug 24, 2009 at 11:41 PM.
Aug 25, 2009, 12:26 AM
sKrude up, Rejected!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaRendezvous
No worries Dave, The more the merrier! Been keeping an eye on that thread, looks like you're coming along nicely.

Mike.
Hi Luna,
Thanks!
Obviously I'm on your thread , but I was thinking once I finish the Twin, I might modify my P-51 into a B or C model!
I like your battery mod, on my plane I'm running a Du-bro 2 1/2" spinner, so with the added nose weight I can put my battery close to the cg.
I'm running 2200 size Lipos.
I also cut my foam similar to yours, and I pulled the stock battery mount and glued it into the new battery area.
Aug 25, 2009, 12:44 AM
Registered Drug Free
Thread OP
Dave, as soon as I receive a couple of servo extensions from HC I'll be moving the Rx back behind the servos in the air scoop, then the lipo can be positioned anywhere along that slot. It will be a cold day in hell when I resort to adding ballast to an airframe to achieve the desired CG.

Mike.
Aug 25, 2009, 12:52 AM
sKrude up, Rejected!
Luna,
I didn't really think of the spinner as ballast! LOL
I didn't want to/couldn't use the stock one!
Aug 25, 2009, 01:01 AM
Registered Drug Free
Thread OP
If you need more weight up front then try the Hyperion P51 aluminium spinner, frigging thing weighs 2oz, looks nice and scale though. I have a couple of the plastic dubro spinners for some of my control line birds, I find they wobble a little too much for my liking, so have replaced them with the great planes spinners with the aluminium backs. Same as the one in my vid of the elevator mod.

Quick Reply