Ancient NiCad, Ancient Charger - RC Groups
Aug 04, 2009, 04:27 PM
Discussion

Ancient NiCad, Ancient Charger

Museum electronics from the early 90's What would happen if I tried to recharge this old battery? Any danger of explosion or fire?
to remove ads between posts
Aug 04, 2009, 05:32 PM
characters welcome!
Looks like some 1900 SCRs. You can try charging them. They're about the most robust cells I can think of. I doubt anything will happen that would involve Fire or Rescue. Just the same, keep an eye on them as they charge and do it outside.

mw
Aug 04, 2009, 09:42 PM
1200 scr. Thanks for the info, I'll try charging them tomorrow. It's done started raining on me.
Aug 05, 2009, 12:12 AM
characters welcome!
Jeez. 1200s. Yep. Them's old! What the hey. Take a shot at it and let us know if you got them to live. Cycle the pack a couple of times. If they get warm they're done charging. If they're hot, they're overcharged and adjust charge time accordingly.

What are you going use that old pack in or just curious?

Welcome to RCGroups, btw.

mw
Aug 05, 2009, 09:16 AM
yup just start using them
with this charger you need to be sure the pack is empty bevore charging again.
Depending on the way you use them those connecotrs are the weak link and you might want to change them.
I have packs still in use from the late 90's so there is a good chance these still work well.
Aug 05, 2009, 02:42 PM
I gave it a quick 5 minute charge. It ran a speed 600 for a few seconds at full power before slowly dieing off. Seemed pretty strong.

I'm going to use the pack for this piece of silliness.