SpaceShipOne and White Knight - RC Groups
Aug 03, 2009, 12:23 AM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
Cool

SpaceShipOne and White Knight

I just got back from Oshkosh and there were so many cool things there! Well i am definitely going back next year. When i was a kid we went every year. So Burt Rutan was there with his latest, the White Knight 2 aka Virgin Galactic Mothership - Eve. So i have decided to build the first one.. maybe the second too =)

Here are the first screen shots from my design. If you don't know the details about SpaceShipOne you need to be whipped! Look it up!

White Knight coming soon!
Last edited by SGTalon; Mar 24, 2010 at 07:58 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 03, 2009, 12:35 AM
Ya baby! If you donít have the CFD side of things I will be more then glad to run them for you.....

PM me if you like.

We can post simulations on here.

Cheers,

Chris
Aug 03, 2009, 08:32 AM
Simulations??? CFD??? Now why would i go through all that when i already know it flies? Honestly i usually do as little number crunching as possible when i design planes.

Most of the stuff i build is seat-of-the-pants-make-sure-you-have-big-control-surfaces type of design.

I appreciate the offer though. I may have some stuff that needs that soon!

But when this is all done, plans will be posted!
Aug 03, 2009, 08:34 AM
It just occured to me that this could still be considered a "Summer of Space" design
Aug 03, 2009, 09:22 AM
Why yes, I am an R/C addict!
Pretty cool. THis sunday I leave for Oshokosh for a week. Now I'm even more excited!
Aug 03, 2009, 10:22 AM
Running jokes into the ground
uuh... i hate to break it to you, but airventure ended yesterday.
Aug 03, 2009, 10:29 AM
Why yes, I am an R/C addict!
Yah, I know, but they still have a really good airplane museum. And you can still get ride in a Cessna 182.
Aug 03, 2009, 10:41 AM
You left one week late!!! A friend of mine DZ1 (Ken) is going to be out there this week too. He is doing a kid camp thing... i think at the museum. If you see some guys out there flying RC foamies that is him.

I think everyone that is into airplanes needs to go at least once. It is so cool!
Aug 03, 2009, 12:49 PM
Zen in the art of foam
Looks like a challenging project.
What's the idea behind lifting the tails 90 degrees?
Aug 03, 2009, 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTalon
Simulations??? CFD??? Now why would i go through all that when i already know it flies? Honestly i usually do as little number crunching as possible when i design planes.

Most of the stuff i build is seat-of-the-pants-make-sure-you-have-big-control-surfaces type of design.

I appreciate the offer though. I may have some stuff that needs that soon!

But when this is all done, plans will be posted!

By the seat of the pants is the way to go!!!

Looking forward to the plans.

Chris
Aug 03, 2009, 01:18 PM
Founder of the EDF20 club!
Cool! I went to Oshkosh on Friday last week. It was awesome! I thought the thing NASA had setup there was cool with their rc projects. They had some neat rcs including some vtol projects. Reminded me of Dave Powers. It was cool to see the Virgin Galactic fly too!
Aug 03, 2009, 01:27 PM
Need 4 Speed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacob7
What's the idea behind lifting the tails 90 degrees?

Duh....so it slows down faster when it enters earth's atmosphere. I was lucky enough to be there for both official flights.
Latest blog entry: 2017 Flying Circus
Aug 03, 2009, 01:31 PM
It pains me that people do not know about the greatest achievement in aerospace since we went to the moon....

This will help explain it. Or go to the site. http://www.scaled.com/projects/tierone/index.htm

Awesome pumpkin!
Aug 03, 2009, 04:27 PM
Registered HotGlue Addict
SGT,

FWIW
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...space+ship+one
PDF threeview plans at post 17

Gramps
Aug 03, 2009, 04:49 PM
Back in the game.
Looking foreward to this one!