McClain Wing Cores MCW 84 Building thread - RC Groups
Aug 01, 2009, 07:57 AM
Build Log

McClain Wing Cores MCW 84 Building thread

Hello All,

This is a preliminary launch of the thread to gather input and data on the McClain Wing Cores 84" wing from those that have already bought and built the wing.

This wing is 84"
Wing area is 378 sq.in.
CG is 12-1/8" to 12-15/16"
It has 2 degree wash out at the tip
It has 2" L.E. of EPP
The main body of the wing is virgin white bead foam
http://www.mwcores.com/servlet/Detail?no=158

I am very interested in your spar placement, radio set up, motor choices and results, Battery selection as well as positioning of gear.

Also, I am interetsed in your set up in so far as initial throws once you got your plane set up and ready to fly and what you have ended up with now that you have ended up with and are happy with

If you are flying the MCW84 as a sloper, I am interested in your set up also as the Cg and control set input is very helpful.

thanks

Phil
Last edited by pval3; Aug 24, 2009 at 07:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 15, 2009, 09:35 PM

motor picked

hey guys

got my motor picked.

2826 Series Shaft diameter=5mm,3 ball bearings
2826/8 1130 35 54 2-3 8-12 83% 25-37A(>75%) 2.3A 55A/60s 28mΩ

http://www.pulsosystem.com/motor/2826.html

X2826/8
AEROBATIC 2500 3S 55A/60S DLU70A 12x6
SAILPLANE 2500 3S 55A/60S 12x6.5
HOTLINER 2000 3S 55A/60S 13x8

this should take this thing into orbit!
Jan 04, 2010, 12:06 PM

PMd update req from Wardo78

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardo78
I saw your August posting on your Mcclain 84" build. I am wondering if you ever finished it up and how things worked out?

Thanks,
Wardo
Wardo

I conversed with Jeff just before Christmas, he says business is great with orders for all the new AP he just released and Wing stuff .

I just think he has not had the extra cutting time to load the 84" to cut one for the build thread between orders and the holidays..

I am hoping some time in the next few weeks.

I have most of the pieces ready to go:

As of today, here is the plan:

Kellys Yellow Cloth

Spray 90 or 77 depending on which wing foam Jeff sends

4 6mm Pultruded CF thick walled 48" Spars from Goodwind Kites
1 down each LE and two centered over the CG or close to it depending on the radio and motor location. These will protrude out to the LE spars and form and A shape.

Going to try some of the new mylar covering from Hobby Partz this time around . .some good feedback on it in the threads:
http://www.hobbypartz.com/fm08-102a.html
http://www.hobbypartz.com/fm08-110b.html

BEC
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s..._5.5~23v_Input

ESC
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...eed_Controller

RX
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...iver_6Ch_72Mhz

servos
http://www.hobbypartz.com/2xmgmegehisp.html

batteries -
awaiting arrival of wing to see what it looks like and will balance like with the motor.
Contemplating picking up this but waiting for more feedback on the forums before I jump in on the brand.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/83p-5000mah-4s1p-148-25c.html

also could do 2 2s packs in series
http://www.hobbypartz.com/83p-4000mah-2s1p-74-30c.html

Motor is the Pulso 28-26 8 turn motor http://pulsosystem.com/motor/2826.html

WEIGHT(g)
OF MODEL LIPO CURRENT
MAX PULSO
ESC PROPELLER
X2826/8
AEROBATIC 2500 3S 55A/60S DLU70A 12x6
SAILPLANE 2500 3S 55A/60S 12x6.5
HOTLINER 2000 3S 55A/60S 13x8
HELICOPTER 1500 4-5S 55A/60S DLH70A -
X2826/8 Max. efficiency:80% KV=1130
No. of lipo cells 2-3cells
Max. efficiency current 25-37A(>72%)
Current capacity 55A(60S)
No load current 2.3A
Internal resistance 28mΩ

I am really impressed with the quality of this motor, it has a lot of pull on 3s or 4s and it about the equivalent of a real nice .46 gas on 4s... it should take this thing vertical even on 3S without even so much as a blink of an eye

Prop
Still working this on as I really would like to run a smaller diameter high pitch racing prop but need to do some serious bench work. I am also looking at some of the folders from Hobby Lobby as an option as this motor is really designed to pull some serious props and the only way to get there without breaking one at every landing is to go the folder route.

The only real sticking point is a motor mount as this is a pretty wide motor and there are few commercial mounts that really "fit" the wing mounting configs.

I cant wait to get the 84, I was originally thinking of making it a thermal type but I think a little ooommmph aught to do real nice.

I am shooting for a build under 4 lbs and able to handle speeds in the 100-120 mph range.

I do not think this is a stretch with this set up..and I think with the wing area it has, it should still be a real nice slope ship and still able to thermal in moderate conditions.

This is all pie in the sky though.

The final decision as to the config will be Jeff's as it is still his design, my job is to get it powered, built and in the the air as simply and fast as possible within the parameters he gives.

It could still turn out a relatively light thermaller . . . All the options are the same with the exception of the prop, battery and finish . . . Less speed requires less reinforcement... lower pitch prop, glass cloth instead of kellys and a smaller battery box and less sparing are the only real difference . . .
Jan 04, 2010, 12:43 PM
Phil,
Thanks for the update, it helps a lot. I've ordered the wing, hopefully it wont take 5 months to arrive. It is building season in Vermont! I am probably looking at a less performance oriented build than you are. A couple of questions do come up. If I were to be using a narrower motor (maybe an inrunner), are there any good motor mount options? Also, what sort of folding prop do you have in mind? Folding would be ideal for my application, but I am not familiar with how to get one working reversed... maybe you just reverse the blades and trim the hub? I'd need to look at it, but it sounds like you already know. I think I'll go lighter on the spars, maybe a similar main spar, and CF tape between the leading edge and wing.

Thanks,
Wardo
Jan 04, 2010, 01:32 PM
chronic in training
4 6mm Pultruded CF thick walled 48" Spars from Goodwind Kites
1 down each LE and two centered over the CG or close to it depending on the radio and motor location. These will protrude out to the LE spars and form and A shape.

Phil,

On the "A" frame you create on these foam wings with the three spar system how do you attach ( or do you attach) the crossing spar to the other spar at the ends? I am planning to pick up a starfire and build it fairly heavy to rip this spring....

thanks

Gary
Jan 05, 2010, 10:35 PM

spars

Hey there

spars do not connect at any point.

I use to use a 1/8 round dremel router bit in the router attatchment for my dremel and sink the main spars (top and bottom for speed/aerobatics bottom only for general and light builds).

Check out my other threads on the 24/36/48 and starfire wings for my technique and tools.

I recently purchased a neat "hobby hot knife" from Harbour freight for 9 bucks. It is basically a low temp soldering iron with a fat tip.

I take this and run it along a straight edge to melt the channel for the spars.

I really like this! It was cheap, easy and works incredibly well with no dust from the router.

I run one spar down each leading edge 1/2" - 1" behind the EPP depending on the build, on the bottom of the wing.

I use Gorilla Glue to set the spars.

You want to go just deep enough to sink them in the foam, you should be able to run a ruler over the wing surface and not run up on the spar . . flush with the surface.

press the cores in the beds with wax paper to ensure that you do not induce any un needed bends.

Make sure you lay lots of weight on the top of the beds to keep them level and set for at least 4 hrs for the fast and 6 hrs for the regular stuff.

I make sure I lay it all out first before I cut, the best way of thinking about it is that the spars intersect but do not connect.

hope this helps

Phil
Jan 05, 2010, 10:38 PM
someone PMed about glass cloth and epoxy on the wing

I like epoxy and glass cloth but any where you have epp you do not really have the surface to get the cloth to lay pretty . .as a reinforcement I think it works great. If you want to use it as a finish, I would point you more toward the Water Based Poly as I did with the Starfire mid motor beta...it was tough and very very light where epoxy is heavy heavy heavy when you try to fill all those bubbles.

I would recommend the Kellys cloth with spray 77 then econocoat or monocoat for a little higher wing loading.

If you want light light light, use the WBPU and the cloth but understand you will need to do a lot of work filling before you glass.

Phil
Jan 05, 2010, 10:46 PM
two more PMs about motors

please post here rather than pming, I get the notice at the same time and will try to respond as quickly as possible.

If you are building for strict thermalling and want motors, there are a bunch of smaller higher torque 22mm motors that will nicely but gently push the 84 around on and 8/4 - 8/6 prop.

If you want some ommph, there are also some nice 22mm-32mm motors, esp two from Scorpion that would do nicely.

Let me know how you want to fly it and what type of batteries you want to use and I will try to guide you in the right direction.

I am working from my general base of model knowledge as I do not have the MCW84 on hand or built yet . ..

Phil
Jan 06, 2010, 07:00 AM
This is moved to consolidate threads:

Hello All,

This is my first post in the Wing forum. I have been flying a XE2 this winter and really enjoying it. I traditionally fly 3D and powered gliders, but wanted something durable and wind friendly. The XE2 has checked both blocks. I am amazed how little power it takes to stay aloft, and how fast it can go when you put the hammer down.I've had flights of over 1/2 hour on an 1800mah 3s, with combined thermaling and powered flight. This included plenty of high speed zooming.

I've enjoyed the XE2 enough that I am committed to a much larger project. To that end I ordered a McClain 84" wing, which I intend to use as a powered thermal machine. I really don't know too much about wings at this point, so I have a few questions.

Firstly, I plan to cover it with 1.5 oz glass and epoxy resin and CF reinforcement. With the wing being glassed, how burly should the spar(s) be? Also, what wing loading should I be shooting for? Can I make the winglets scaled up from my XE2?

For power, I have all sorts of 3D electric motors and battery combos around. I am open to buying something new if required. How many watts and KV do you recommend? Prop recommendations? I can run either 3 or 4s. Finally, I was planning on fabricating my own motor mount, but am wondering if someone sells a nice premade one?
Thanks in advance for your input.

Regards,
Wardo

I'll try the poly and glass. I have West Systems epoxy leftover from a boat build I did, I am always looking to use it!

Thanks,
Wardo
Jan 06, 2010, 12:44 PM
chronic in training

spars... what size ID and OD .. and did you use same size in the starfires?

Thanks Phil...

GC
Last edited by grfcon; Jan 06, 2010 at 02:53 PM. Reason: I only needed to ask one question
Jan 06, 2010, 09:27 PM
Hey Warddo

The glass thing is great if you know what your are doing.

Keep in mind that EPP is very porous, much more so that the virgin foam and is a veritable black hole for erant epoxy if you break the skin that forms from the hotwire going through it. It is very easy to do, after that . . . Grrrrrrr

My way of sealing the epp is to hit it with a mix of the light white spackle and water . . .mix in the water until you get the consistency of a pancake batter then let it dry for at least a day. Sand lightly the vac the whole thing to remove all the dust. After that, you should have the same consistency . at least on the outside.. as the virgin foam, the cloth could seat and seal nicely.

Others may have a better way of hitting it but . . . .. that is how I handle it
Jan 06, 2010, 09:34 PM
motors are another thing.

post what you have and hopefully we can figure out what you can prop it with to fly the bird.

I think you can build this thing incredibly light to fly with a tower pro and a 9-6 prop if you work it right.

When I was originally thinking about this plane I was contemplating running it with flaps and elevons with a larger version of the tower pro motors a 2s pack with something like a 11-7 folder. Just float around and have fun

I figured I could get it in under 2 lbs but . . . . . . .got a little caught up in the lure of power and picked up that monster motor to take it straight up.

The one thing consistent of all Jeff's designs is that they seem to fly great no matter how you set them up. He really has a talent for picking the best attributes and make them into a great sport design.
Jan 06, 2010, 10:15 PM
Phil,
On the motor front I pretty much have everyting size wise from a Neutrino to a 1200w beast. I was thinking of using this HC inrunner I had around: http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...mpeller_1025kv . It is a bit heavy for a true floater, but I like to have excess power to bail myself out. I don't know what I'd use for a prop. I do want to try to sort out a folding unit. Also, do you have any motor mount advice?

Thanks,
Wardo
Jan 07, 2010, 08:33 PM
resU deretsigeR
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=9082

might work well for that motor
Jan 07, 2010, 08:41 PM
check the mounting holes spacing on that mount . .

I picked one of these up for the pulso thinking it would work on the one I picked up for the build and it was too narrow . . .Grrrrrrrr

trying to find a larger version of the same thing . .

any ideas paul..