Dec 09, 2009, 03:30 PM
Dr. Dave
Thread OP

NitroPlanes Art-Tech 2.4 Ghz F4U Corsair Review

!Introduction

| spec2
| @IMG_7808_2.jpg
|> <b>Wingspan:</b> |< 37.8" / 1000mm
|> <b>Wing Area:</b> |< 278.76 sq. in. / 18 sg. dm.
|> <b>Weight:</b> |< 20 oz. / 700g
|> <b>Length:</b> |< 30.8" / 835mm
|> <b>Wing Loading:</b> |< 12.91 oz/sq. ft. / 39g/ sq. dm.
|> <b>Servos:</b> |< 3 - 9g
|> <b>Transmitter:</b> |< 2.4 GHz
|> <b>Receiver:</b> |< 6 channel 2.4 GHz
|> <b>Battery:</b> |< 11.1 v 1300 mAh
|> <b>Motor:</b> |< Brushless Outrunner
|> <b>ESC:</b> |< 25 amp Brushless
|> <b>Manufacturer:</b> |< <a href=http://www.art-tech.cn/>Art-Tech</a>
|> <b>Available From:</b> |< <a href=http://www.nitroplanes.com/20ar2f4uco3d.html>NitroPlanes</a>
|> <b>MSRP:</b> |< $149.95

The Corsair is one of the most beautiful planes in the world. I saw my first real one at the Byron Originals Air show in Ida Grove, Iowa back in the 80's and all I could say to my wife was, "This thing is huge". I am 6'6" and I could barely touch the spinner. Other warbirds were there, but that one Navy plane drew the crowd.

!Kit Contents

This plane is an ARF. Figure a few hours to get it built and set up. There are not a lot of kit parts and really nothing beyond basic build methods.

@IMGA0099.jpg: The box gets you excited.
@IMGA0100.jpg: This is a very good looking bird.
@IMGA0101.jpg: Packaging is excellent. It’s secure, and each piece is wrapped in plastic
@IMGA0150.jpg: The kit is generous.

*Kit includes:
*Painted and decaled fuselage, wings and tail
*Brushless motor
*2.4 GHz transmitter and receiver
*20 amp ESC
*Great set of additional decals
*Two props 11x6x3
*Battery charger
*1300 mAh 11.1 v Lipo
*Really handy long screw driver and wrench
*Flight simulator software
*USB cable for using the transmitter supplied with flight simulator
*Rubber nose cone
*Steerable tail wheel
*Plastic canopy with painted interior seat

@IMGA0122.jpg: Everything is checked before shipping.
@IMGA0123.jpg: Nice tools
@IMGA0124.jpg: 1300 mAh Lipo
@IMGA0125.jpg: Nice 120V charger
@IMGA0128.jpg: Flight simulator software
@IMGA0133.jpg: No frills 2.4 GHz Transmitter

*Kit requires:
*Nothing

!Assembly

There is not much of a build with this model. Likely you will want to make changes, but more in the way of additions to the already very stable flying platform. The huge hunk of steel you’ll encounter belongs just under the forward section of the fuselage on top of the battery, but separated by a piece of foam. This is a counterweight necessary for correct CG. Do not fly without this unless you have managed to accomplish the correct CG in some other way.

The receiver is stuck to the opening in the fuselage where the wing will join. You might have to dig up and inside the aft portion of the fuselage to get to the aileron extension. The ailerons use a "Y" connector right at the wing saddle.

@IMGA0136.jpg: The E-Fly 2.4 GHz Rx
@IMGA0135.jpg: I have pulled the ESC out from the forward section of the fuselage.

!!Radio Binding

You will want to bind the radio to make sure all your servos are centered.

@IMGA0239.jpg: Power up the radio and push the bind button.
@IMGA0240.jpg: The receiver uses a bind plug.
@IMGA0242.jpg: Once the bind is complete, remove the bind plug.
@IMGA0243.jpg: The LED should glow.

!!Wing

The wing is one piece. I stood the wing and made sure the gear were correctly placed so the wing was level. I installed the gear doors and then mated the ailerons to the extension and slipped the wing in place. You should now be proudly standing on three legs.

@IMGA0232.jpg: The aileron connections
@IMGA0231.jpg The forward wing alignment points
@IMGA0230.jpg: Nice detail
@IMGA0223.jpg: The gear installed needed a slight bend.
@IMGA0224.jpg: The landing gear port is a press fit.
@IMGA0226.jpg: The wing is straight with the gear doors installed, but the right wheel needed a slight bend.
@IMGA0233.jpg: Nice decals
@IMGA0234.jpg: Here you have coupled the ailerons.
@IMGA0235.jpg: The "Y" connector
@IMGA0245.jpg: The attachment points use plastic bolts.
@IMGA0244.jpg: And now we are standing.

The wing must be protected, and you should really try to avoid knocking off the little beads left over from the foam injection. These have been painted, but when knocked off they leave a white mark.

@IMGA0228.jpg: Manufacturing really should brush these off before painting

!!Fuselage

I usually pull the cowl on planes so that you can see what is underneath. I didn't this time because the cowl is decaled and I would have had to cut the decal loose. I reached in and tightened the motor mount screws. That is one of the benefits of the longer screwdriver.

@IMGA0251.jpg: Do not over tighten.
@IMGA0248.jpg: This is the battery compartment under the fuselage.
@IMGA0146.jpg: You slip the battery in longways.

!!Tail

The tail is an exercise in patience. I had to slip the horizontal stabilizer in place and then get the rudder linkage to blindly mate with the servo arm. There is a rubber grommet that I had to hit. Do not force the vertical stabilizer if you are not sure.

@IMGA0142.jpg: All linkages are installed.
@IMGA0249.jpg: See the little grommet near the servo arm screw.
@IMGA0250.jpg: This must go into the grommet.
@IMGA0143.jpg: Straight down shot showing the rudder servo
@IMGA0255.jpg: The other great use of the long screwdriver is to attach the tail.
@IMGA0256.jpg: Once in place, things were square.
@IMGA0259.jpg: The fairing streamlines the tail.
@IMGA0145.jpg: The tail wheel is installed and linked to the servo arm.
@IMGA0144.jpg: Nice detail with the gear doors
@IMGA0258.jpg: The finishing touch

!!Radio Installation and Completion

The radio is installed. I had to check the movement of the servos. There is no expo or dual rate on the transmitter which I thought was a problem. I investigated the rather active <a href=https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=767759&highlight=art+tech+corsair >build thread </a> on the Corsair, and the good folks there told me the plane flew like a pussycat. I was concerned because the rudder has a lot of movement. Basically, you get it as the manufacturer designed it. You can't really adjust anything other than the ailerons but there is no need to do so.

!Flying

I was concerned the control surface of the rudder moved too much, and if this plane had any stall tendencies I would be in trouble if I could not control my left thumb. Well, was I ever wrong. This plane does fly like a pussycat. Take a look at the wing loading at only 12.91 oz./ sq. ft., and you basically have a trainer in Corsair clothing. It was a blast with plenty of power and a motor that was almost silent. I loved the style and grace of the Corsair, and I enjoyed watching the plane instead of being worried I was going to get into trouble.

!!Basics

I put the plane through just about every maneuver, and it rose to the occasion. Most importantly, it was controllable, and I found nothing that bothered me. I can now see why so many in the thread above have become fans of this plane. They do everything to it including retracts, scale components, paint and install a pilot since they know this plane will last a while.

!!Taking Off and Landing

Takeoffs were not what I expected. Little prop torque was noticed. I applied gentle throttle, and that moved the Corsair easily down the runway. There is not a lot of room between the prop and the ground as the tail rises, but there never was in the original either. The takeoffs are smooth and under control. Landings are where the Corsair really shines. No stalls of any kind. I was able to bring the plane in with a variety of speeds. It is not a plane that you have to land hot.

!!Aerobatics/Special Flight Performance

The plane is not a rocket. The vertical climb-out is realistic. It loops, rolls and with that large amount of rudder, immelmanns, and spins. I was comfortable doing these maneuvers, and they looked very realistic.

!!Is This For a Beginner?

I would have to say this plane flies better than some trainers I have flown. It is stable and not over responsive. I know from reading it is easily repairable, so that should be considered. I flew mine many times, and the gear stayed in place, and I had no damage from numerous landings. I have flown other Corsairs with completely different results, so don't let that warbird stigma for tough flying keep you from flying this Corsair

!!Flight Video/Photo Gallery

@IMG_7733.jpg: All around good looks
@IMG_7745.jpg: That three blade is huge.
@IMG_7743.jpg: Very scale-like appearance
@IMG_7756.jpg: It does look bigger in the air.
@IMG_7813.jpg: The paint is glossy.
@IMG_7818.jpg: This Corsair is very easy to control.

+Corsair.wmv:The Art-Tech Corsair is one easy flying warbird.

!Conclusion

It did not take long for me to figure out that this plane has a lot of followers - not just the plane itself, but this Art-Tech version. I admit I was like many others that have less than perfect experiences with a warbird, but not this time. I was so impressed with the handling. If you want a warbird, consider this plane. Once you fly I am sure you will follow the lead of others with their improvements and add-ons.

*Positive:
*Great molding quality
*RTF
*2.4 GHz
*Ground and air handling
*Quite

*Not-so-positive:
*Molding pieces flake off taking paint with them
*No dual rates of expo on radio
Last edited by 78dave; Dec 08, 2009 at 01:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 09, 2009, 08:21 PM
beginning night flyer
very nice!
Dec 09, 2009, 08:59 PM
I'll fly anything
Nothing a nice AR6110e binded to my DX6i wouldn't cure for the dual rate issue

Nice review.
Dec 10, 2009, 06:25 AM
Dr. Dave
Thread OP
I am envious. I have to fly these as advertised. I can see a RX change if you have that available. Otherwise it really does fly very well without anything added.
Dec 10, 2009, 10:06 AM
I just got a receiver-ready version from HobbyKing, which means I don't have one more useless Tx laying around, and I can set it up how I want. It is really annoying how the foam is covered with all those little "nubs". The slightest touch breaks them off and you get a millions little white dots.

Its a great looking plane, and I love the prop. I can't wait to get it in the air, but after the 30cm of snow we got yesterday, I might have to put some skis on it! Thanks for the review.
Dec 10, 2009, 03:02 PM
Dr. Dave
Thread OP
Naw, fly it anyway. It will glide in easy even on the snow. Pop off the main gear. It really does fly well.
Dec 10, 2009, 06:49 PM
The Lipos cost how much?!

Quite what?

Did you mean to say quiet?

Thank you,

Pumi
Dec 10, 2009, 10:56 PM
Nice review Dave. I have the Mustang in the same series of planes, and I think the Corsair may fly better and more stable. Slow flight is difficult with the P-51. One thing to mention is watch those Art-Tech batteries. I believe they have a low C rating and cannot take too much abuse. I had two puff on me.
Dec 18, 2009, 05:33 AM
Of Awesometon
as a beginner pilot i can say that this is a quite easy plane to fly,, much more stable than a mustang that i built,,heres me flying it

rc plane art tech corsair flight (6 min 46 sec)
Jan 20, 2010, 10:12 AM
Is it suppose to do that?

Different Battery

Hi Dave:

Just wondering. I was hoping to use my own battery. They are 1500 mah 20C. I was wondering if you think the CG would be thrown off by this battery. I was thinking no, because the size can not be much bigger than the supplied battery.

What do you think?

Sean
Jun 05, 2010, 06:26 PM
moscow I wouldnt think it would be a bad thing all it would do is make it nose heavy resulting it being more stable
Jun 05, 2010, 08:10 PM
Dave, exc. review and nice build. Your plane actually looks a lot better than the retailers pics I saw on Ebay. Those pics showed parts (esp. the tail fairing) that didn't seem to fit well at all. I love that big 3 blade prop and the flying pics. Thanks for sharing.
Nov 17, 2010, 02:19 PM
Hey guys. Does anyone know the flight time on the stock setup? I saw 20 minutes on the websites, but I do not believe that (at least til I see it!)

Thanks!
Dec 30, 2010, 03:51 PM
220 221 Whatever it takes
How does this one compare to the 31.5" (http://www.nitroplanes.com/93a292-80...-24g-blue.html) ?? Less money = less quality??

Thanks for replying.
Jan 03, 2011, 10:55 PM
Poboy 72

Art-Tech F4U Corsair Motor Moves Around

Hello. I recently received my F4U and it looks great. This is my first plane, but I have flown helis for a short time. I also practice with FMS too.

I'm finishing all adjustments before I fly the plane, ensuring my first flight will be successful (fingers crossed). I have a question about the motor mount. My motor is not static. It moves around a little and I don't think this is right. I can shift it up,down,left, right, etc... At rest, it kind of points down. Any guidance on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Quick Reply