Jul 30, 2009, 02:46 AM
Build Log

Multiplex Fox FPV Build

Hi all,
Just thought id start up a thread for my Fox FPV plane, had a few people asking for info and more pics so here is pretty much all the info ive got

So we will start with how I made mine...

Here are the parts you will need with links
Tiny servos - Click here
Tiny Camera - Click here
Video TX - Click here
RC Receiver - Click here
Tiny Motor - Click here
Tiny ESC - Click here
Tiny Lipo - Click here

In this picture I show where I made the 1st cuts to the fuse.
Once you pop off the foam above the wing I then cut out some of the foam which was below the wing to run wires.

Next step was to mount the elevator servo, nothing special here, just cut and glue it in
I had to solder the wires to make them longer.
I cut a small channel into the foam and glued the servo leads in, they run into the back of the fuse just before the trailing edge.
You can also see that ive cut the rear of the vertical stab so I could install an elevator.

Ok so back to the fuse... you can kinda see how ive installed the aileron servo here, if you could see under the wing there is about a 2cm channel ive cut out of the foam to carry both the servo leads out to the canopy area...
Once the wires run freely the wing was glued into position, then the servo was mounted into the wing so only the control horn extrudes from the top.
You can also see how I reshaped the top part of the fuse which was cut out in my 1st step.

The fuse was also gutted out to fit the receiver, the 2cell 360mah lipo fits into the canopy which ive also gutted out.

I strengthened the wing with a small CF tube...
I also added a larger CF tube through the guts of the fuse as the pylon for my motor.

Here is my sexy motor photo
I had to add some spacers from a motherboard/computer case to angle the motor a little for the thrust line.
Also there is my 12amp turnigy ESC, these work great as they use a 2amp BEC & also very cheap
Prop is a 4530GWS and ive had to cut a big part of the fuse out to swing the prop, some people say that ive weakened the fuse alot but trust me, if it was going to break it would have by now! The foam in the fox is very strong!

Ok onto the camera, this was bought off ebay for less then $30, I had to specifically ask the seller for a 2.8mm wide angle lens, it was only about $5 extra.
When I open the camera case you can see there is a built in mic.
The camera runs on 5v which is great
I glued in a bit of balsa to support the TX and camera, and it is pretty straight forward to see how ive done it...
Didnt bother with a pan servo, I stripped the 1st one in transportation and ive just had it fixed since, works great and its just so easy, no messy headtracker wires and rubbish

All thats left to do is to make a y-cable up for the lipo so it can power both the speed controller & the 10mw ImmersionRC TX.
Camera is powered from the 5v out of the TX - lovely.

Here are some more pics...

Ive probably missed a few things here cause this is taking about 10 times longer then I thought lol, but feel free to ask any questions!
to remove ads between posts
Jul 30, 2009, 02:48 AM
Here are some videos...

Test Flight (Non FPV)
Multiplex Fox - FPV video test flight fun (1 min 23 sec)

1st FPV flight
Multiplex Fox FPV (4 min 10 sec)

The rest are me being a smart ass :P
Fox FPV - "hey can you fly through that??" (4 min 28 sec)

Fox FPV - Formation flying, limbo, crashing, general FPV fun! (6 min 27 sec)

Multiplex FOX Fpv - Fast new motor installed! (4 min 31 sec)

Some new ones...
Fox FPV @ lunchtime (1 min 33 sec)

Fox FPV - Flying through early morning fog over lake (3 min 54 sec)
Last edited by chancesAU; Aug 05, 2009 at 06:56 AM.
Jul 30, 2009, 02:49 AM
Max,

Mate, where’s mine

Hitting you up on Skype now
Jul 30, 2009, 02:57 AM
LoL... wheres my flying autopilot chicken!?
Jul 30, 2009, 02:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chancesAU
LoL... wheres my flying autopilot chicken!?

hehe
Jul 30, 2009, 03:08 AM
Closed Account
Brilliant, thanks Max.

5 stars.... can we give stars here?

wow, the camera is only $7.99 au buy now price, great.
I was thinking for ages, watching those vids of the fox, the colour was totally WHACK, now im thinking, maybe the camera/lense needs that orange coloured filter in place between lense and sensor?

top stuff, im going to get a coffee now, and come back and STUDY your post.

cheers
Jul 30, 2009, 03:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobby
Brilliant, thanks Max.

5 stars.... can we give stars here?

wow, the camera is only $7.99 au buy now price, great.
I was thinking for ages, watching those vids of the fox, the colour was totally WHACK, now im thinking, maybe the camera/lense needs that orange coloured filter in place between lense and sensor?

top stuff, im going to get a coffee now, and come back and STUDY your post.

cheers

Yea what do you expect from such a cheap camera hehe
Ive been told by many that its missing the IR filter...
Jul 30, 2009, 03:35 AM
Flying like an Angel.
wow really great.
love that mini Fox FPV.
Jul 30, 2009, 04:00 AM
Closed Account
Everything look great so far. One question first up.

Did you change the incedence on the main wing to give a little negative?

Looks like in this photo, underneath of the wing in the rear half, some packing?
Is this to change incedence?, or is it just some silicon sealer or something more cosmetic ? lol

thanks.

THANKS MAX, i can see much beter from the photo below, very good.
I've finished my coffee, so no chance of spraying my computer screen with a mouthfull, bring on the video. lol
Last edited by Wobby; Jul 30, 2009 at 04:28 AM.
Jul 30, 2009, 04:17 AM
BlueAngel2000 - Thanks! everyone should have one!

Wobby - Nah its flat with the fuse... just as it was originally.
Here are 2 more pics which might look a little better, you can see where my elevator servo wires come in too...

Im just uploading a new video, its so funny, crashed the fox a couple times. They sounded both so bad but the fox was too mighty!
Not on-board video, just from my digital cameras HD video, still keep an eye out! its funny as!
Last edited by chancesAU; Jul 30, 2009 at 04:32 AM.
Jul 30, 2009, 04:40 AM
http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr
I have a brand new Fox sat here waiting for conversion. What is your AUW with the FPV gear? Also, you're using a 2.4GHz tx but your GP patch looks way too big to be for 2.4GHz, but maybe it's just the photo playing tricks on me.

One more question, what's the thrust angle for the motor on the pylon? That looks like a much better motor mounting option for a model that is probably gonna be involved in lots of crashes.

Cheers,

Lovegroove
Jul 30, 2009, 04:47 AM
No such thing as overpowered
wow that formation flying video is really good. you should also get some one to film these crazy stunts from the out side, like when you fly under that pole, Its not that i dont trust you but it would be good to get another view
Jul 30, 2009, 04:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovegroove
I have a brand new Fox sat here waiting for conversion. What is your AUW with the FPV gear? Also, you're using a 2.4GHz tx but your GP patch looks way too big to be for 2.4GHz, but maybe it's just the photo playing tricks on me.

One more question, what's the thrust angle for the motor on the pylon? That looks like a much better motor mounting option for a model that is probably gonna be involved in lots of crashes.

Cheers,

Lovegroove
Hi Lovegrove,
The AUW is approx 145grams

Yea its tough, ive rolled it and crashed upside down many times and its never had a problem!

Angle... hmm good question!
I know mine is far from perfect, I would just say make the mount so you can adjust it easy, I only just mounted this motor the other day and it flew great straight away, it shouldn't be too hard to get it flyable.
Jul 30, 2009, 04:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilit run? 353
wow that formation flying video is really good. you should also get some one to film these crazy stunts from the out side, like when you fly under that pole, Its not that i dont trust you but it would be good to get another view
Ive got some!
But its a pain to edit picture in picture, im uploading a video right now where I fly through a shade cloth in a park and under a monkey bar a few times...
Check back here in 30
Jul 30, 2009, 05:53 AM
Heres the new vid from today

Fox FPV @ lunchtime (1 min 33 sec)