This thread is privately moderated by Darth_Elevator, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 30, 2009, 01:34 AM
How do I change this text?
Discussion

Sky Painting

Some sky painting pictures from this evening's flying.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 30, 2009, 03:29 AM
Alphabets make great soup
Wow those are some seriously awesome photos!
Jul 30, 2009, 10:41 AM
Thanks!
Jul 30, 2009, 01:03 PM
Lipo abuser ... smoke on!
Sick photos Darth!

If you dont mind me asking, is it just one long exposure with the camera on a tripod?

Don
Latest blog entry: D100
Jul 30, 2009, 01:40 PM
Yep. I set it to bulb mode, which holds the shutter open for one long, continuous exposure. I use a remote shutter switch on a cable that has a lock on it to hold the shutter button down so I don't bump the camera in pressing or holding the shutter button. If you try holding the normal shutter button down, you'll get vibrations, I guarantee it (plus it's harder to fly with just one hand). You can also set the camera for a timed exposure if your camera doesn't have bulb mode.

If you're interested in some of the other camera settings, such as ISO and aperture and length of shutter open, I used to record all those stats on some of the earlier pictures I posted to DWA's sky painting thread -- specifically posts 6, 9, and 12. Now I've gotten lazy and don't do it any more. But play around with the different settings, especially aperture, and you'll get a variety of results.
Jul 30, 2009, 02:04 PM
Lipo abuser ... smoke on!
Thanks Darth, seems like I have everything I need but a good night flyer and remote shutter release

Don
Latest blog entry: D100
Jul 30, 2009, 05:07 PM
Suspended Account
That is REALLY COOL!