Apr 10, 2003, 04:00 PM

Oh No; not another E3D removable wing design !

I wanted to share this........ the challenge was to have a removable wing, but without a weight penalty or reduction in fuse torsional or bending strength / stiffness.

It needs 2 x M5 x 75 (or similar inch), and 4 x M5 x 15 Nylon screws, and captive nuts. Plus 3 pieces of 1.2mm ply, to spread the loads; total extra weight 15grams (bottom fuse balsa sheeting re-distributed - blow wing area covered in film only).

All up weight (with C40+ ripmax 5.5:1 GB, & 14x7 prop & spinner & 10 cp2400) 1550 grams (54.6 oz).
Last edited by Mark Sanders; Apr 10, 2003 at 04:03 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 10, 2003, 04:07 PM
Here is a crude side view
Apr 10, 2003, 04:08 PM
And wing off
Apr 10, 2003, 04:09 PM
And the whole thing
Apr 10, 2003, 04:51 PM
Fly like an... airplane?
looks good! lets see how it holds up!

mike
Apr 10, 2003, 08:44 PM
Formerly Black96Z
Looks like a good idea. You should probably put some other coloring on the bottom for flight.
Apr 10, 2003, 08:48 PM
Balsa Builder
Looks great, though like Black said, you may want some contrasting colors or orientation stripes. I like your setup for the wing, looks like it adds almost no weight.

--Paul
Apr 10, 2003, 08:54 PM
Involuntary Beta Tester
I'm amazed how many different solutions have been posted on this topic. Your's I think is the lightest. Good job.

Kelvin
Apr 11, 2003, 10:38 AM
thanks guys !!!
Yep I originally planned to put some bright colour on the underside, but found that with the (larger 3") wheels, and the slow speed (cf hotliners), I didnt miss it. Maybe i'm not trying hard enough with the snap 'everythings' !! [Also I like simple colour schemes - I'm from the school of design where less is more ]. The removeable wing seems to be holding up just fine - with quite a few flights; the plan was not to compromise either the wing or the fuse strength. I just love this plane; its a classic - it does so much, and so much more than I can do - I have a target of being able to hover at low height indefinately - not sure if i'll ever get there but its fun trying. Thankyou Gary !!!!!
Apr 11, 2003, 11:06 AM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Sanders
thanks guys !!!
have a target of being able to hover at low height indefinately - not sure if i'll ever get there but its fun trying. Thankyou Gary !!!!!
I have a target of being able to hover for 5 seconds at high height - not sure if I'll ever get there but its fun trying

Kelvin
Mar 30, 2005, 10:29 AM

Wow, this was a great find..!

...saw your "for sale" ad, Mark, which led me to this thread ...I think I'll make this mod on a E3D I'm building now ....

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=349720

I'll PM you for any extra suggestions you might have ..

thanks for the pics ...

Bill