Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Old Jul 28, 2009, 05:58 AM
Benign is offline
Find More Posts by Benign
Registered User
Discussion

The best R/C indoor chopper for a beginner?


Hi:
I tried to read as much possible about the R/C choppers. What i learned is that the best choices are co-axial R/C choppers like co-comanchi or E_Sky Lama V4 but I have a question. I live an apartment and I wonder these are suitable for a small area like an apartment or not. Is there any other option which costs less than 100$? I know as a novice I may break my first heli so I prefer to spend less on the first one. I heard somewhere that there are two helies named SL30 and SL32 (I really couldn't find the manufacturer) and another one named SYMA S006 (looks very cool) which are coaxial too and much cheaper. Is it true? Is SYMA S006 a suitable one for a novice?
Please help me start this hobby.
Benign
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2009, 06:04 AM
henryd123 is offline
Find More Posts by henryd123
trex 500esp msh protos
henryd123's Avatar
for indoors with limited space have a look at the blade mcx
Old Jul 28, 2009, 06:08 AM
G_de_Coligny is offline
Find More Posts by G_de_Coligny
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryd123
for indoors with limited space have a look at the blade mcx
Or walkera lama 2.

But definately not a Esky Lama 4. Too big for appartement. It's for meeting/waiting room sized place, minimum.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 06:33 AM
Benign is offline
Find More Posts by Benign
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryd123
for indoors with limited space have a look at the blade mcx
What about Syma S006? Any idea about it?
Thanks
Benign
Old Jul 28, 2009, 07:22 AM
henryd123 is offline
Find More Posts by henryd123
trex 500esp msh protos
henryd123's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benign
What about Syma S006? Any idea about it?
Thanks
Benign
that one is 3 channel,if you can I would go for a four channel
Old Jul 28, 2009, 09:02 AM
Balr14 is offline
Find More Posts by Balr14
Cranky old fart
Balr14's Avatar
Helimax Axe CX is probably the best flying coax and is smaller than most others. But it is fragile and requires a little work to remediate. Syma helis are all 3 channel toys; they won't teach you much except bad habits, because the channel assigments are wrong. They are also the same size as the Lama V4.

Stick to EFlite or ESky brand coaxes. They are much easier to get parts for.
Last edited by Balr14; Jul 28, 2009 at 09:10 AM.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 09:06 AM
grnbrg is offline
Find More Posts by grnbrg
Still a n00b.
grnbrg's Avatar
+1 on the Blade mCX. Small (28 grams), exceptionally stable, easily controllable, and durable.

For an indoor-only "fly around the living room" helicopter, you can't go wrong.


grnbrg.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 02:09 PM
Benign is offline
Find More Posts by Benign
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14
Helimax Axe CX is probably the best flying coax and is smaller than most others. But it is fragile and requires a little work to remediate. Syma helis are all 3 channel toys; they won't teach you much except bad habits, because the channel assigments are wrong. They are also the same size as the Lama V4.

Stick to EFlite or ESky brand coaxes. They are much easier to get parts for.
Thanks. I will stick to them. I think finding ESky products is easier in my area. Saw some resellers somewhere close.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 02:16 PM
Balr14 is offline
Find More Posts by Balr14
Cranky old fart
Balr14's Avatar
Walkeras small palm sized coaxes (5G6-1 and Lama 2-1) are good for a small area. My experience with these helis has not been good. They have had poor electronics and motors that last only an hour or two. Parts may be an issue. I think they fly much better than an MCX, but it's hard to recommend them. Just trying to give you options.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 02:20 PM
Benign is offline
Find More Posts by Benign
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14
Walkeras small palm sized coaxes (5G6-1 and Lama 2-1) are good for a small area. My experience with these helis has not been good. They have had poor electronics and motors that last only an hour or two. Parts may be an issue. I think they fly much better than an MCX, but it's hard to recommend them. Just trying to give you options.
It means that Lama 2 motor will break and becomes useless after 1-2hrs (it means after 10 times using it)???
Thanks
Old Jul 28, 2009, 03:15 PM
Balr14 is offline
Find More Posts by Balr14
Cranky old fart
Balr14's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benign
It means that Lama 2 motor will break and becomes useless after 1-2hrs (it means after 10 times using it)???
Thanks
3.7 volt motors use a hot winding and copper fingers for brushes that lose tension with exposure to heat.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 11:21 PM
Benign is offline
Find More Posts by Benign
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14
3.7 volt motors use a hot winding and copper fingers for brushes that lose tension with exposure to heat.
WOw. So it means changing the motor? I wish they had better cooling system Is it easy to change the motor?
Old Jul 28, 2009, 11:44 PM
arbilab is offline
Find More Posts by arbilab
Fly Runaway Fans
Quote:
Or walkera lama 2. But definately not a Esky Lama 4.
Sorry to be contrary, but I'd say the exact opposite. Esky Lama 4 but definitely not Walkera Lama 2.

Lama 4 will fly for months without repair other than blades. I'm a shxt pilot and mine still runs since February. Lama TWO will not run a WEEK without requiring internal repair.

Lama 4 is also not beyond apartment size. I live in one. My open airspace is 11x7. Again, I'm a shxt pilot, and I don't have any trouble at all flying Lama 4 except that 11x7 is annoyingly confining. I fly HBFP, 10" larger and much less stable, in the same space.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 11:50 PM
Balr14 is offline
Find More Posts by Balr14
Cranky old fart
Balr14's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benign
WOw. So it means changing the motor? I wish they had better cooling system Is it easy to change the motor?
Two motors, remember it's a coax. They are not real hard to change, except for the tiny screws. It gets real annoying buying new motors every few weeks. This is a bigger problem on the 5G6. I don't know if it's been addressed at all with the 5G6-1. I think the Lama 2 uses a different motor that may last longer, but it had receiver problems that may or may not be corrected. Nice size helis for indoors, but very difficult to recommend. Odds of getting one that's problem free for very long is low.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 02:09 AM
sleb is offline
Find More Posts by sleb
Quads & Planes, cant beat them
sleb's Avatar
In a small space I also vote for the mCX or the mCX S300. I have two of those and two Esky Lama V3s. The Eskys are only good for hovering inside. The mCX can fly from room to room and through small spaces. It is way more fun than the Esky size copters for indoors.
Steve


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Best R/C setup for peanut scale? misfitsailor Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 2 Aug 05, 2007 10:41 AM
Best R/C jet flight sims for PC Marty C. Fuel Jet Talk 28 Jan 30, 2005 11:49 AM
Best R/C flight simulator adam jorgensen Electric Plane Talk 4 Apr 02, 2002 01:11 PM
Seeking Help Real Flight R/C Simulator Setup for VoyagerE and JRX388s Radio gbagley Electric Heli Talk 11 Dec 22, 2001 12:07 PM
Electric R/c planes- magnets for kooks Feodosia Flyer Electric Plane Talk 0 Jun 05, 2001 11:01 AM