Jul 27, 2009, 07:19 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Making a plane locater "beeper" louder?

I have some $8.00 piezio electric lost plane locater "beepers" on a number of my planes. They are great., but the searcher has to be within 20 feet or so to hear them. I put a plane down today in some tall ( 7 foot) corn. The wind, rustling the corn leaves, made it near impossible to hear the beeper. Any ideas? thanks Rich
to remove ads between posts
Jul 27, 2009, 08:13 PM
lovin' early retired in 2000
Hi Rich,
1. Since they are voltage sensitive, a 6V flight pack (5cell) should be a bit louder than a 4.8V pack (4 cell).
2.Location plays a role. On some hard bodies you can get the whole surface to oscillate and be louder.
3. Getting the plastic cone with the hole in it outside the body frame will also help as the greatest decibel reading is directly inline with the hole.
4. Doubling up on the elements; one pointing left and another right, up or down, can help. They only draw a small amount of current.
5. Using lower frequency buzzers for us older guys helps as high frequency is the first area for hearing loss.

Here's a link to some inexpensive elements and the shipping for orders up to $29 is only $4.
Also notice that the highest decibel rating is at 12V (much higher than what we normally use).

http://www.futurlec.com/Buzzers.shtml
Jul 28, 2009, 09:22 AM
I personally have been working on a professional system like this, but with MUCH more features (talking night flight system here folks :P)

but the buzzers that I am looking at, I have found that I need to have at least 4 in each direction to actually hear it.
Jul 28, 2009, 11:10 AM
R.I.P, Aardvark.
Smoke alarms have obnoxiously loud piezos, and they run off of a single 9V battery.
Jul 28, 2009, 08:19 PM
Thread OP
Hmmmmm .... what to do??? ...steal the alarm from my smoke detector/ burn down the house??? Maybe my wife would object? Nah..she "understands" me.... Ha Ha Ha .

I think I will upgrade to a 6 v system ( easy enough to do)...and add another piezo (easy to do) ...AND...put them out through the fuse walls to get better sound effect.

thanks guys...Rich
Last edited by richg99; Jul 28, 2009 at 08:21 PM. Reason: spelling
Jul 29, 2009, 02:28 AM
If you look in the lipo low voltage alarm threads, there are several people using the piezo (or whatever it is) out of a window alarm. You may have seen them. The main unit mounts on the window frame and a magnet mounts on the sliding part of the window. If the two separate, the alarm sounds, and apparently it is very loud. I have found them for $1 at Dollar Tree stores. I have a couple, just haven't taken them apart yet.
Jul 29, 2009, 06:19 AM
Magicsmoke maker
Depends on what device you have to start with.

I've got some 1~2V magnetic buzzers that I use on my BAC units (lipo regulators with low voltage and lost model alarms). Anyhow I just came back from the workshop where I was really hurting my hearing with the same buzzer but overdriving it slightly on a 5V supply. I was going 5V -> 10 ohm resistor -> buzzer -> 4 ohm low side FET and quite honestly, it HURT my ears.

If you get self-oscillating piezeo (or magnetic) buzzers then all you can really do is just increase the voltage because they already have all the gear inside, however if you have just a 'speaker' that you have to drive yourself then you can experiment with different frequencies (get the mfg datasheet and it shows you the peak resonance frequency) and different currents.

Good luck!

Paul.
Jul 29, 2009, 04:54 PM
Thread OP
Thanks to the suggestion from Bruno...I added another battery to my setup...brings it up to 6 v..

Definitely increases the volume appreciably. regards, Rich
Jul 29, 2009, 06:14 PM
York Electronics
Tuned cavity.

Take a cardboard tube (toilet paper center) and glue an end-cap on one end with a hole in the center.

Mount the buzzer on a disk that's the same size as the center of the tune. Turn on the buzzer. Slide the buzzer into the tune and find the location (depth inside the tube) where the sound emitted as loudest. Note the location, cut off the tube at that location and glue the buzzer on the newly made end of the tube.
Jul 30, 2009, 09:43 AM
The Flying Kiwi
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamdb
If you look in the lipo low voltage alarm threads, there are several people using the piezo (or whatever it is) out of a window alarm. You may have seen them. The main unit mounts on the window frame and a magnet mounts on the sliding part of the window. If the two separate, the alarm sounds, and apparently it is very loud. I have found them for $1 at Dollar Tree stores. I have a couple, just haven't taken them apart yet.

+1 for this idea. I've converted lost model alarms to run these window alarm peizos. They are painfully loud. I got mine from a 1 and 2 dollar shop.
Jul 30, 2009, 04:44 PM
Thread OP
Well, hate to admit it, but I tested my new 6 v plane locater system today. The corn was high......the plane was low....but the beep goes on!

Found her in just a few minutes. I'll also be trying some of the more advanced ideas soon. Rich
Jul 30, 2009, 08:37 PM
R/C Electro-Gadgeteer
I think the Mallory Sonalerts are the ultimate in piezo alarms!
http://www.mallory-sonalert.com/2_0.htm

Some of their sounds are deafening and annoying...
http://www.mallory-sonalert.com/3_1.htm

Although a little expensive, you can often find them in online surplus stores for 1/2 price, and even cheaper some times on Ebay...

Aug 03, 2009, 11:02 PM
R/C Electro-Gadgeteer
another cheap option is this...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94983

It's basically a cheap window alarm (peizo-based) which includes a standalone (3-button battery-operated) alarm unit and a mountable/movable magnet for triggering the alarm. I took mine apart last night and it has a neat driver board (3/4" sq). The alarm is quite loud for its size and for $2.99 (on sale at local Harbor frieght store)... I could not pass it up
Last edited by Tomapowa; Aug 03, 2009 at 11:10 PM.
Aug 03, 2009, 11:04 PM
Actively makin humans obsolete
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomapowa
another cheap option is this...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94983

It's basically a cheap window alarm (peizo-based) which includes a standalone (3-button battery-operated) alarm unit and a mountable/movable magnet for triggering the alarm. I took mine apart last night and it has a neat driver board (3/4" sq). The alarm is quite large for its size and for $2.99 (on sale at local Harbor frieght store)... I could not pass it up
I have a few of those, and man they are loud
Aug 03, 2009, 11:08 PM
R/C Electro-Gadgeteer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor_Racer
I have a few of those, and man they are loud
Loud they are... I forgot to mention.. the sound they make are more like a fast siren sound (up/down quickly and repeatedly)

Quick Reply