Aug 05, 2009, 08:38 AM
Professional Lurker
OK, the team dance for the camera was a bit disturbing, but greatly appreciated This live feed is so cool but very unproductive from a work standpoint.

Go Team USA, have fun and learn a lot.

Chris
to remove ads between posts
Aug 05, 2009, 08:51 AM
R/C Soaring "Lifer."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheasant
...perhaps the biggest factor is that we just don't fly competitively at this level much more than once every two years. These guys are REALLY good.
This seems to be the biggest factor. Our guys are very good on the sticks but at this level of competition the seemingly little decisions you make in the heat of battle can have dramatic results and every mistake can cost you HUGE points. It seems like the last point is key too--the level of overall competition has gone way up. Just look at Joe Wurts--a consistent top 5-10 finisher in nearly every worlds he's entered--is sitting in 30th place and hasn't won a single distance group. That says something because even if he's out of practice, Wurts is always one to watch out for in distance.

The Cal Valley F3B contest that happened in May and is going to happen again in November is a good venue for the US guys to bring up the level of on-field competitive intensity but we will need to do more to get on par with our European counterparts who compete at this level regularly.

Right now our guys just need to pull together and take it one flight at a time and start bringing in some 1000's in distance. Congrats to Mike L for posting the first US distance 1000 in round 3! Keep it up guys...GO USA!!
Aug 05, 2009, 10:12 AM
Just plain ridiculous. Sir.
However the chips fall, all the competitors at these world chapionships are cool dudes in my book. They all make a lot of personal/family sacrifices to take the vacation days and what not to practice and attend the WC. Best of luck guys, have fun, thanks for sharing the updates and pictures, hope to hear more stories.

Ryan
Aug 05, 2009, 12:48 PM
Bruce Davidson
Just saw a mid air in the LZ. This web cam is not good for getting work done:-)
Aug 05, 2009, 02:31 PM
F3B and F3K
Current Ranking:
1. Andreas Böhlen
2. Martin Herrig
3.Andreas Herrig

Böhlen flew a 13.84s.

Go Switzerland!

Reto
Aug 05, 2009, 02:52 PM
Can you guys indicate what gliders the top 10 are flying?
Aug 05, 2009, 03:05 PM
Freestyler, Shooter, Radical, Cyril, some others. Groups have been won with Evo's, Ceres, Lift's and others. As usual, it's how and where you fly that matters, not what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marios
Can you guys indicate what gliders the top 10 are flying?
Aug 05, 2009, 03:05 PM
My guess :

Bohlen, A : Shooter
Herrigs & Muller : Freestyler 3
Webershock, Hubertz & Paisanen : Radical Pro
Bohlen S : Tanga

Don't know about the italian guy though.....

Regards,
Nick

I'm waiting for this info to appear behind al competitors names. It's a nice feature.
Aug 05, 2009, 03:08 PM
Quote:
As usual, it's how and where you fly that matters, not what.
I'm afraid you're right.....
Aug 05, 2009, 04:00 PM
I am going to go way out on a limb here and in no way is this to disrespect our current team as they are all very top notch pilots. In the US we fly primarily American TD events except for the years we select either a F3B Team or a F3J Team and then when we do select a team, we do it over one weekend at one event. Somehow I do not think we are always going to get our best team selected in this fashion. We have several very good TD Pilots in the US but we do not regularly play the F3B or F3J game. The exception would be the guys in Denver that fly F3J format in most of if not all of their monthly contests. Might have something to do with how fast Cody got to be really good at F3J and I believe it was probably very benificial to John Padila, Mike Verzuh, Blaine Chastains and Skip Miller's placings in F3J at the Nats. I can read about an F3J or F3B contest going on over in Europe about anytime with a little searching on the Web. That is what they fly over there and guess what, they are not only really good pilots just like we have here, but they are really good at the task that is being flown. Practice makes perfect unless you are practicing the wrong thing. Also, the best way to get better at competing at something is to fly the task against the best competition. We are so spread out geographically here in the US that it is hard to get a lot of momentum going to fly the FAI Tasks and with the select few people that are truly serious competitors at the task it is even harder for really good quality teams to get together and practice together as a team. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the skill level of our guys, they just do not have the repetitions to compete at this level. There are not that many DP's or JW's out there that are just so good that they succeeded regardless of all these other things. If the USA is going to get really serious about competiting at this level there needs to be a different direction taken to where we have the number of competitions available to to get these guys the repetitions it takes to be at the top of the podium. It was no fluke that 5 of the 10 pilots that made the fly-offs in F3J at the Nats were from the RMSA Club and 2 of the other 5 were from SOAR which also flys more F3J Comps than most areas. I truly hope that no one takes this as any kind of slam against our guys because I know they are all going to work hard and compete to the bitter end. That goes for all the great support guys we have there helping them.

See Ya,

Pat
Aug 05, 2009, 04:13 PM
Here's the board in action during Task C (speed). Showing it separately so I can describe it for those who haven't seen it before.

The top left figure (19.10) is the time of the previous pilot, and his pilot number (14) is listed below. The designators A through F have no function during speed. The fastest time to date in the current group is shown at the bottom (13.83).

The current pilot (41) is airborne, has 3:09 remaining in working time, and 52 seconds remaining in his 60 second entry time (time from launch line release to course entry). The area where the current pilot's time is shown as 0.00 will display his split at each turn, then the completed course time will display in the 'previous' slot. This occurs during 'seamless' speed, where the working time commences as soon as the previous pilot crosses the finish line.

The numbers 35, 36, 51, 16 are the next pilots to fly.

Aug 05, 2009, 04:18 PM
Yep, Naza-controlled Tricopter
If you think about it, the answer is pretty obvious. All of us reading this thread are capable of flying a 1000 in the duration part of this event (at least sometimes) -- but there are many among us who haven't flown a single lap of speed or distance in competition, or at most a few laps. The duration part of this contest is really there just as a design constraint on the planes; the pilots are expected to max it. Way more than 2/3 of the value separating the scores comes from the other two events, and these are tasks that are quite literally unknown to most of the U.S. soaring population. When a video of a Weberschock sub-15 speed run was posted a couple of years ago, some guys on RC groups asked how it related to soaring. For many of us, flying F3B would be like going from slow-pitch softball to MLB. Our team members have practiced diligently and have done what's needed to get themselves ready, and they know what they're doing, but the world they inhabit is on a different astral plane than the world of the Herrigs.
Aug 05, 2009, 04:27 PM
Most U.S. TD style pilots don't quite seem to understand F3B. F3B is very much a team event. The pilot can pretty easily handle the duration portion on his own, and even the speed task to some degree, but distance is an entirely different animal. The caller, or I like to refer to him as the tactician, (for the distance task) is probably more important than the pilot. Optimizing that 4 minute time on course, within the 7 minute window, while flying precision turns and legs, staying in the best lift available, at exactly the right airspeed for the conditions, managing energy and remaining altitude, and keeping track of time remaining so you run out of altitude with appropriate energy just as the 4 minute clock goes off - oh... while you're racing against 4 other planes at the same time... WAY too much for a pilot to do on his own.

To be successful on the WC level not only requires a world class thumb, but world class help.

It's amazing the US teams have done as well as they have with such limited experience.

Go US!!! Go Joe!!!

You guys are AWESOME!!!!

D
Aug 05, 2009, 04:28 PM
Just plain ridiculous. Sir.
Quote:
Here's the board in action during Task C (speed).
Wow! That is pretty cool. Thanks for sharing this information and the pictures. Sounds pretty hectic but of course very exciting.

Ryan

Quick Reply