Yes !! First Atomic Wedgee out of the mould - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by Iwanufly, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 26, 2009, 10:42 PM
Happily Addicted
Discussion

Yes !! First Atomic Wedgee out of the mould

Finally I have popped the first wedgee out and i'm fairly happy with it all.
I had a few problems with water in the airlines when I sprayed the paint but it look OK on the outside.
The carbon spar caps and reinforcements show thru the yellow paint but I can live with that.
Just glad it all released from the mould really well.

It should weigh around 850 - 900 grams (30 - 32oz) and have a wing loading around 16 - 18 oz/ft2.

Oops got the weight wrong, I wish I could read my scales properly!!

It actually weighs just under 600 grams (21oz) and has a wing loading around 11.4oz/ft2 and about 17oz/ft2 ballasted.

I still have to mould the new larger fin and cut the elevons out, but it's getting real close to flying now.
Last edited by Iwanufly; Jul 30, 2009 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Added a few more photo's
to remove ads between posts
Jul 30, 2009, 02:07 PM
Lipo abuser ... smoke on!
Great work, the plane looks very nice! It appears your plug is made of wood then glassed? How/what did you then make the mould?

Don
Latest blog entry: D100
Jul 30, 2009, 07:43 PM
Happily Addicted
Hi Don,

The plug is abs plastic from a 3D printer then finished with automotive paint.

The mould is epoxy gelcoat backed up with glass & epoxy and filled with non shrinking grout. Very heavy!

Lots of work but worth the effort.

Shane
Aug 03, 2009, 09:39 AM
working to the closest cm
Very nice work Shane.

What release did you use in the mold - I see you were able to mask the paint in the mold.

Like the Yellow and Blue - all my planes seem to be yellow and blue

cheers jeff
Aug 04, 2009, 06:17 AM
Happily Addicted
Hi Jeff
I used mould sealer and 8 coats of wax from fgi.
I don't want to use any pva.
It popped out of the mould realy easy.
The yelow and blue is easy to see in the air and it is what I had.

Cheers shane