Jul 28, 2009, 08:10 AM
Chris,
If you can wait till the weekend after ther August long I would be able to help build a simple stand, you would just have to pick up 2 8' 1"x2" s at home depot, and two 2" bolts with wing nuts, I have some extra webbing. We could build it then go for a sail afterwards? Other wise I like the Ikea hamper idea, I also have use a folding lawn chair that had a bent leg it works good. I have also two home made stand out of 1'x2' material, cheap and easy to build. let me know?

Andrew
to remove ads between posts
Jul 28, 2009, 08:46 PM

diaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Morales

I am also using the IKEA clothes hamper but I kept the bag on. Handy for keeping deck patches, boat towel and other stuff from being blown by the wind when at the sailing site. Cost me SGD6 or USD4
Ed
kinda looks like adiaper
Jul 28, 2009, 10:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloboat66
kinda looks like adiaper
form follows function
ed
Jul 28, 2009, 10:38 PM
Landlocked and lovin' it!
Thread OP
Thanks, sloboat66 - I was this close to going to IKEA and now all I see is a diaper!
Chris, father of one child out of diapers and one child still in diapers
Jul 29, 2009, 11:15 PM
diaper?? think the America's Cup when the US kept their keel covered
Jul 29, 2009, 11:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastprairie
diaper?? think the America's Cup when the US kept their keel covered

Yea, that was to hide their intentions, not keel.

A few years ago I found some info (now lost) on a self feathering boat stand , the idea was the boat would head to wind and remain safetly perched on its stand. The stand could also be locked in place to aid sail trim adjustment.

Does anyone out there have info or pics on this idea, I would like to build one but as I said have lost the plans in the ether.

Cheers.......Gary
Jul 30, 2009, 09:49 AM
Hey Gary
interesting concept of the "feathering" boat stand . never seen one but
the base would be easy - most home centers ( here in the US anyway) will
stock a swivel base - often used too make a "lazy susan" or used as a base
in a corner kitchen cabinet , multi-tiered round rotating organizer shelf .
once the base is attached between 2 pieces of ply wood , holes around
the perimeter and a small dowel would hold the upper base facing the direction
desired . I can picture this for , what? 1 meter or smaller size ? hmmm.
probably need a pretty level ground surface to put it on though .........
oh , unless the lower base had short legs under .

Allan
Jul 30, 2009, 01:54 PM
I have one that is made out of pvc pipe with nylon rope for cradles. It has a soft foam piece that holds the keel and keeps the boat in place. I drive a stake with a pipe welded to it into the ground Then the pvc pipe fits into the whole thing and will turn into the wind. I've only tested it so far and haven't had it to the pond yet but it looks good. I'll post pictures later.
Jul 30, 2009, 08:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorsail
Hey Gary
interesting concept of the "feathering" boat stand . never seen one but
the base would be easy - most home centers ( here in the US anyway) will
stock a swivel base - often used too make a "lazy susan" or used as a base
in a corner kitchen cabinet , multi-tiered round rotating organizer shelf .
once the base is attached between 2 pieces of ply wood , holes around
the perimeter and a small dowel would hold the upper base facing the direction
desired . I can picture this for , what? 1 meter or smaller size ? hmmm.
probably need a pretty level ground surface to put it on though .........
oh , unless the lower base had short legs under .

Allan

Allen, thats definately thinking outside the box but not what I had in mind,

Raggs next idea is closer to what i had seen, except it was steel framed and some sort of bearing arrangement just below the cradle , so the whole cradle could swivel. Basically the cradle was like a fork (or imagine bicycle front forks) that sat horizontally and had foam cushions on the forks so the boat sit in the fork and heel . The fork was open on one end and had a vertical pole at the other which sat into the ground support . Not sure if the one I saw had a single tube/ spike which could be driven into the ground or a set of feet .

Well I guess that pretty much covers it and infact maybe I do have enough info to build one...but I would really like to see some pics of an existing setup..they are out there.

Cheers...Gary
Jul 30, 2009, 08:44 PM
Gary -

as noted above, the post with two foam covered rods sticking out horizontal to fit on each side of the keel and supporting the underside of the hull works fine, since the boat is off-set from the center of the pivoting vertical tube-over-stake. The entire thing works like a weather vane.

Unless you have a penchant for the thing to keep moving in very faint winds, bearings really aren't a necessity. Once the wind is strong enough to act on the sails, the tube usually rotates and allows sails to face into the wind.
Jul 30, 2009, 09:29 PM
Thanks Dick, yep it all comes back to me now and I was able to find the lost info, I've made a permanant record for myself now..see attachment...but this link is where I originally saw the info...great link BTW.

I had been thinking of building something along these lines for a Multi, thought it might be a great way to prevent a 2.5kg Mini40 from tumbling down the street.

http://star-45.blogspot.com/

Cheers...Gary
Jul 30, 2009, 09:56 PM
Well thats some clever thunking right there Millertime...love the launching cradle...smart idea.

Gary

Quick Reply