Tomboy - RC Groups
Jul 25, 2009, 07:57 AM
Discussion

Tomboy

Hi Fellas,

I've acquired a box of old modelling goodies, which includes two Mills 0.75cc (one original one the Indian version), a brace of 0.49 Cox, and lastly a prestine ED Baby 0.46cc.

Eventually I will need to find a model (for the Mills at least)..and was thinking about a Tomboy.

Can I ask for some opinion...36" versus 44" and the 48" scaled up...what suites best, and what experience/advice do you have with these models. I guess the 0.5 would do for the 36" ...the larger being able to take the 0.75 ? How was the old ED Baby as an engine ?...

My early modelling was rubber, gliders, then into glow...so don't know much about these old diesels.

Any opinion, advice and pictures would be very much appreciated
to remove ads between posts
Jul 25, 2009, 09:28 AM
36" Tomboy for the Mills .75. Viceless little airplane guaranteed to fly well - but laminate the longerons from 3/32x 3/16 instead of using 3/16" sq. Built as per plan with the latter, the side frames will 'spring' a little and so increase the stabiliser incidence - thus requiring incidence changes later to get the model flying

ED Baby .46 is a pleasant little engine but is not known for great power. If it happens to have drilled exhaust ports .. it's worth good money!
Jul 25, 2009, 10:16 AM
Cris, USA SAM Champs the last three years or so have flown a free flight Tomboy event. I think the rules specify the 36 inch version but I think one year 44" version was allowed. Engines used are limited to 3 cc fuel. Most use the Mills 75 diesel Original, Indian, Russian and Irvine reproductions. PAW .8 and .55 are also used. One contestant used a Webra .8 cc diesel one year. The Land Down Under has also ran contests with R/C for Tomboys. The event will be flown again at the SAM Champs this year at Henderson, Nevada in October. Jack
Jul 25, 2009, 10:51 AM
Some Tomboy photos I lifted from the web taken by various photograpers. Jack
Jul 25, 2009, 05:48 PM
TOMBOY is a great model and the Mills.75 in the 36in one is ideal as mine is that was built years ago.
Another tip on building it is to extend the wooden engine bearers back into the next former for added strength.
Jul 25, 2009, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the replies gentlemen...much appreciated. I'll be sure to add these mods to the structure as suggested Apple/Gossie.

I believe that the SAM rules do not allow film covering (is this so ?)...are the UK and Aussie rules also the same in this respect. I travel such a lot, the thought of easily slipping a 36 inch model into a suitable box to attend local events overseas is very thought provoking.

So the 0.5 sized diesels wouldn't be suitable for the 36 inch version...or just not competetive ?

Thanks for the photos...looks a very sweet little job. I love old Vic's designs.

Much appeciate your input, as I might as well short track the learning curve if possible !
Jul 25, 2009, 07:47 PM
>Some Tomboy photos I lifted from the web

Hey, there's mine! Blue/white one. Good advice from Gossie about bearers, had forgotten that......
Jul 25, 2009, 08:24 PM

tomboy

Very nice Applehoney...... I have a short kit from Klarich on the shelf, 44" version. Not sure where it is on the todo list. If not a diesel what would be a good motor choice? GLOW!!
Very handsome model in any size

Bill
Jul 26, 2009, 12:32 AM
Your ED.46 would fly it for sure. I guess it's probably just a bit more traditional to have an original Mills.75 in it.........or is that just me?

Have in mind 'Apples' and mine are freeflight though.

A glo motor in a 44in Tomboy? Probably any .049 would be okay (Cox, Wenmac etc.), but as the plan shows an Elfin 1.5cc I guess you could go to this size if you wished.........But why would one want to? I just could not imagine a 44 Tomboy with a 1.5 or .09 in it.
I feel it would be grossly overpowered.
Jul 26, 2009, 12:57 AM
I used to have a 36" Tomboy fitted with a Mills 75 bequeathed to me by my uncle who died young in the Sixties when I was just a kid. Years later I built the 44" version, fitted radio and a PAW 149.

It helped me to learn to fly.

I believe that SAM 35 allows any type of covering in the British Tomboy Competitions but bans iron on coverings in its vintage duration r/c competitions, but I'm not absolutely certain.

Happy Landings

DD
Jul 26, 2009, 03:50 AM
F1B is ok.
Early Tomboy, Aeromodeller Nov. 1950

Heinz
Jul 26, 2009, 04:12 AM
Here's another on floats.
Jul 26, 2009, 07:56 AM

Thanks

Thanks very much for all the posts...much appreciated fellas

Question 1...will the 0.5cc Mills be adequate for the 36" under 2 ch RC ?..should be, but I would be interested to hear comments.

Question 2...what fuel does one use with these little gems ? Is standard auto diesel OK ?..or os there some special mix.
Jul 26, 2009, 08:29 AM
F1B is ok.
Hello Chis Jenkins, here are the assertion from the plan.

Heinz
Jul 26, 2009, 09:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hastf1b
Hello Chis Jenkins, here are the assertion from the plan.

Heinz
Thanks a lot Heinz...