Apr 09, 2003, 06:26 PM
Thread OP

If you had a Mega 16/15/2 handy, what would you do with it?

Made a impulse purchase of a mega 16/15/2 with gearbox and a 25 amp castle creations ESC, all installed in a HL Threedee (all new/never flown) for what seemed a good price.

I'm not really turned on by the Threedee so it's been sitting for a couple months...

What would be an ideal plane for this motor? I can't remember what the ratio is on the gearbox so assume I'd buy another or run direct....

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Hank
to remove ads between posts
Apr 09, 2003, 07:57 PM
T:W>1= :>)
Well, that's a pretty hot (high Kv) little motor ya got
there . First of all be careful how you prop it as you
could draw more than the 25A the CC might be comfortable
with. It's probably best suited for a fan unit or DD on
a hotliner or such.
Apr 09, 2003, 09:11 PM
eflyguy
I suggest:
if you don't care for the Threedee all that much, why not fly the snot out of it and see what you can do? You won't be too distressed if you break it, and you can have some fun with the $$ you have invested while you ponder an alternate airframe.
..a
Apr 09, 2003, 09:49 PM
Thread OP
Hmmm... a very good idea Andy. Maybe I'll do that, but I'd still like to know what the heck the thing is really made to do...

Rc-flyer, I was wondering about a fan unit, like maybe that alpha jet?
Apr 10, 2003, 12:15 AM
T:W>1= :>)
Quote:
Originally posted by Hankstone
Hmmm... a very good idea Andy. Maybe I'll do that, but I'd still like to know what the heck the thing is really made to do...

Rc-flyer, I was wondering about a fan unit, like maybe that alpha jet?
I think the Alpha would be a great choice. Oh, and
BTW if you don't like the ThreeDee just ship it to me ,
I've got a Hacker that would fit nicely!
Apr 10, 2003, 12:59 AM

what the heck thing can do...

I've seen a 7 cell glider use one on a 4.4/1 gearbox and CP 1300s to go vertical at incredible speed for very short periods. Apparently the current draw was somewhere near 60amps for a few brief seconds (very large prop!).

It is a very hot motor and I would heed the advice about not exceeding the controller's limits. It is well suited to using 6-7 cells and driving a gear box. If you run that on your threedee I don't really think it will matter much about the airframe, it will probably be overwhelemed by the motor most of the time
Apr 10, 2003, 10:34 AM
Balsa Flies Better!

Similar problem

Mine's in a drawer- mated to an Astro 010 gearbox (the old heavy one) and probably a CC 25A control.

I think my plan was to run 8 cells, swing a 9" prop, and put it in a Herr Pitts Special. Could probably haul a Herr Mustang too. Lots of airplanes out there for 200 watts and 9" props. (most any glow ship in the 10 engine range should work.)

Sam

Quick Reply