Jul 23, 2009, 09:45 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Glow Guy Thinking About Giving Electrics A Try

I fly several types and sizes of planes but my favorites are the 40-60 size "GO FAST" planes (Shrikes, Magnums, Little Toni's, and etc) all flown with glow. The electrics have gotten my curosity up. I have a couple of planes that electric would work well in. I have a NIB 50 Size Sundowner and a NIB GP Revolver. I would like to hear the opinions of this forum on which one to build and what is needed to make it a "GO FAST" Electric plane. Please remember I am a complete idiot when electric power is concered in an airplane. I would also like to hear what you fly; ELECTRIC, GLOW, OR GAS and why.

OK forum; ENLIGHTEN ME!
to remove ads between posts
Jul 23, 2009, 10:00 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
I have heard very good things about the Revolver and almost bought one myself. RCU has some great info on the Revolver, but if you search here, you may be able to find some info. The best thing to do, is to link the planes you have and provide specs; that will help them help you.

I was going to put an OS 55 in mine.

Frank
Jul 23, 2009, 11:08 PM
Thread OP
I have a revolver now with a Super Tigre 75 (yes overkill) but it is pretty quick. I am hoping to equal if not better the type of speed from I am getting in this glow engine from an electric set up.
Jul 24, 2009, 02:20 AM
You can get equal or better perfomance out of electric these days, provided you choose the right motor/battery/prop combo. And, if you're using LiPo batteries, it may turn out lighter than the un-fuelled weight of the glow equivalent.

I think I'm right in saying that a glow setup is initially still cheaper than an equivalent electric one. But the long term benefit is in cost saving on fuel, as well as the cleanliness and general hassle-free nature of flying. You can either take several charged battery packs to the field, as I do, and charge them at your leisure at home. Or you can invest in a field-charging setup (usually a deep-discharge lead-acid battery plus a suitable charger) and charge one pack while you're flying another.

For specific recommendations for your models you should go to the Glow-to-Electric forum further down the page, and post details.
Jul 24, 2009, 02:55 AM
Especially with planes larger than .25 size, you can usually get the aircraft flying cheaper with a glow engine.

The price gap on start-up is getting smaller though due to suppliers such as Hobby City and lower cost "knock-off" motors, ESCs, LiPos and support equipment.

A .40 to .50 size plane will need about a 500 to 750 watt motor, which typically means you are looking at 4S LiPo (4 cells in series... 14.8 v nominal).... maybe as high as 6S. (22.2 v nominal)
In the past there's been almost a "quantum leap" in ESC and charger cost when you cross the 3S to 4S line.
Turnigy's (and other "off brand") ESCs and chargers have broken that barrier down though.

Setups in this power range that would have cost over $600 using AXi motor, Jeti ESC and Astro Flite battery charger and Polyquest batteries can now be done (often with a small added weight penalty...) for under $200 using Turnigy equipment and Zippy brand LiPos.

Still not QUITE as cheap as a glow engine + electric starter + fuel pump and a can of fuel... But with glow fuel approaching (or exceeding) $20 a gallon it doesn't take long for electric to become the cheaper way to fly.
The problem is... if you crash the electric model you have a chance of destroying the battery which can cost more than a couple of gallons of glow fuel.

So electric powered models larger than .25 size is not advisable for someone who crashes regularly.

I fly a mix of glow, gasoline and electric power.

I am retiring my glow power aircraft rather than doing any major repair work when it comes up.

I am currently working on one electric model that uses 12S 5000 mah LiPo and another that will use 12S appx 10,000 to 15,000 mah. The first is a single"engine" electric ducted fan conversion with an appx 5000 watt power system (appx 6.5 hp) The second uses two of the same power system...
The first will fly within a month.

My gasoline models have just sat for over 4 months...
Only one of my glow models has been flown in the past 4 months, and I just retired that aircraft... due to stress cracks from operating it at too high an airspeed too often.
Jul 24, 2009, 03:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tes21966
...I would also like to hear what you fly; ELECTRIC, GLOW, OR GAS and why...
I gave away all my glow and gas planes, and kept all my electrics. I don't fly regularly and now I don't have to deal with gummed up engines or throw away old fuel.

I fly several from micro to Hanger 9 46 Cub. Most have floats, or, are switchable.
Last edited by Printer Mike; Jul 24, 2009 at 02:09 PM.
Jul 24, 2009, 04:56 AM
Here's a thread on the - Sundowner 50 ARF conversion

also - H9 Sundowner w/ axi 5330/18

and a thread on the - Gp Revolver to EP conversion

The Glow to Electric Conversions forum covers a lot of various conversions.

Personally I would recommend going for a model designed for electric than convert a glow/gas model, there can be quite a weight saving and you know everything will fit.
Jul 24, 2009, 08:29 AM
You are in for quite a learning curve and initial and continuing expense but it may be worth it to you. Most of us start out and learn electric lore with modest size models which require a number of small 30 -50 dollar combined motor/receiver/servo battery packs, small versatile chargers, small 20-50 dollar motors, 50 dollar speed controls and 80-100 dollar foam or balsa ARF models designed light for electric power. Over a couple of years we gradually gain experience and some move up to .40 to .60 size models investing in higher capacity $300 charging equipment and power supplies, more expensive motors and speed controls and much more expensive high capacity lipo or A123 packs. You can bypass the smaller "go-slow" stuff with proper guidance from someone experienced with "go-fast" electric powered models and make an initial investment of around $1300 and go from there. You could also get into smaller high performance stuff that looks like a blur as it whistles by for less money.

See this thread: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1084110
Last edited by E-Challenged; Jul 24, 2009 at 08:35 AM.
Jul 24, 2009, 09:04 AM
If you had posted this on the glow forum, I suspect you'd get quite different answers; (of course, you may have -- haven't checked that one today).

I have been flying small electrics for a year or so and haven't made the jump into LIPOs yet. NIMH are quite satisfactory for me. However, I'm going to get a RADIAN sailplane which has to have LIPO, so we'll see. Electrics are so convenient and easier (if you charge from your car battery) and at 73, I'm looking for convenience. However, I doubt anyting will take the place of a Big Stik with a .40 for sheer flying fun. Check with me in a year or so.

howell
Jul 24, 2009, 09:11 AM
A bit smaller than what you're after, but definitely a go-fast electric: ModelAero's Polaris seaplane. Based on a classic nitro-powered plane, the NorthStar. There are free plans available (see the Foamies->Scratchbuild forum) if you want to build it yourself.

Sorry, can't help you with "large" electrics at this point.
Jul 24, 2009, 09:19 AM
You might want to check out my conversion thread on the Tsunami, a .40 sport/pattern airplane. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1019173

It turned out way better than I could have hoped for. I almost never head to the field without it. I too am an ex glow flyer. I have one glow airplane left, a Sig Astro Hog with a 90 4-stroke. I usually haul it out once a year, just so I can remember what a hassle fueling and cleaning oil off the airframe is.
Jul 24, 2009, 09:20 AM
Clinger, MAGA
I am with the guys above ... Start with a bit smaller plane. Something the SA Edge or the MM E-Tana . As you note in the link, the power train is all laid out for you. This way you can get a 'feel' for electrics and how it all goes together, and then move up to the bigger ones without being blown over with the startup cost .

Even the SA Shaft for a quicker build.

My two cents!
Jul 24, 2009, 09:22 AM
RC Guru
Ignore anyone who says "Do not convert a glow model" because it's entirely possible.

People think that just because a glow powered model is built more sturdier, and therefore is heavier, that it won't fly very well with electric.

My Sig Rascal 40 flies MUCH better on electric than it did on glow
Jul 24, 2009, 09:25 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress..
Ignore anyone who says "Do not convert a glow model" because it's entirely possible.

People think that just because a glow powered model is built more sturdier, and therefore is heavier, that it won't fly very well with electric.

My Sig Rascal 40 flies MUCH better on electric than it did on glow
Hi Xpress,

Did you see the results of that recommendation you made to that other gas to electric guy yesterday? I think you'll be pleasantly surprised...

Chuck
Jul 24, 2009, 09:32 AM
RC Guru
^I can't even find the thread..

Quick Reply