Jul 23, 2009, 02:31 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Chris Golds TSR 2... 2 Derek Knight 32mm fans

Very quickly, here is evidence of what we have now go to wait two weeks to test fly.

The British Aircraft Corporation Tactical Strike/Reconnaissance 2 (TSR-2) was an ill-fated Cold War strike aircraft developed by the British Aircraft Corporation (BAC) for the Royal Air Force (RAF) in the early 1960s. The TSR-2 was designed to penetrate a well-defended forward battle area at low altitudes and very high speeds, and then attack high-value targets in the rear with close-in bomb runs and precision drops. The TSR-2 included a number of advanced features that made it the highest performing aircraft in this role, yet the programme was controversially cancelled in favour of the General Dynamics F-111, a procurement that itself was later cancelled.

2 Derek Knight 32mm Fans with Fiegao Motors, 10 amp ESCs 3S 850 mAh Lipo

21" span
41" long
1.25 sqft
23oz AUW
18.2 oz/sqft

Chris flew this motor fan combo in the little Vautour which performed beautifully but had so much poke Chris thinks they will fly a bit more airframe. lets see in 2 weeks!
to remove ads between posts
Jul 23, 2009, 02:49 PM
EDF Jet Jam 2019, June 13-16
Hi Robert,
now you're talking. What a beautiful plane. Does Chris have anything in the works useing 70 or 90mm fans? Variety is the spice of life.

Dan Eaton
Jul 23, 2009, 03:00 PM
Epic Win or Epic Fail!
I want! Please say he will release this as a plan....
Jul 23, 2009, 04:34 PM
James L
Looks beautiful good luck with the maiden.
Aug 12, 2009, 10:52 AM
Thread OP

I am back after a visit to "bit bucket"

A few photos from yesterday evening. Not ideal flying weather for a 23 oz model. 10-15 knots straight in off the sea where the sun was occasionally glaring out from behind the clouds. Straight into the sun and a gusty wind is something that should be avoided at the best of times, I wouldn't advise anyone try it for a Maiden flight. Mr Golds had been very patient while I was on holiday, as anyone who knows him will testify is something he doesn't do well or with the temper of an angel so a bit of wind and quite a lot of glare wasn't going to stop him trying.

Chris insisted on a slight over stretch of the bungee for the first launch which had the TSR-2 screaming towards the "A" frame that we use to elevate to bungee. (7' of positive altitude is often a godsend when bungeeing a prototype for the first time) With too little elevator throw to go over the top a quick decision was made to go around the frame rather than through the middle, which give the speed that things were happening seemsed the natural choice.

Chris just cleared the frame and hung on to a nose heavy high alpha circuit of Chivenor.

Un-rating the elevator function of the elevons for the second flight saw this little model get above 15ft but constant, excessive elevator trim needed to account for a slightly forward CG meant the model suffered a tadd to much drag. It flew and we got it back in one piece. Once we pull the CG back we will be able to see whether these tiny fan units are man enough to liven up the performance once the ducting is not fighting a battle with drag.
Aug 12, 2009, 11:03 AM
Suspended Account
So nice that this was "allowed" to be put back here in the EDF jet Talk Forums where it belongs after the reporting incident.
Lovely model, I have always liked Chris' models and Robert's narrative.
-Mike
Aug 12, 2009, 11:04 AM
She looks good mate.
Aug 12, 2009, 02:49 PM
Hi Robert,
Thanks for posting news of the successful outing and well done to Chris on a fine TSR 2.
Paul W.
Aug 13, 2009, 01:14 AM
Well done again Chris
Aug 13, 2009, 04:00 AM
James L
Bravo on getting it round the circuit. Where did you have your CG initially? Did you use ailerons rather than tailerons?
Your undercarriage looks brilliant as usually it is really hard to come up with a way of getting it to lower and get the width of track that it should have with TSR2, so really well done.
Aug 13, 2009, 05:15 AM
Suspended Account
Here is a bit of History. In the front of this Group is Chris's original foam TSR2 with a Byron in, thats his lightning just behind.
Aug 13, 2009, 04:12 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANGOSIERRAROM
Bravo on getting it round the circuit. Where did you have your CG initially? Did you use ailerons rather than tailerons?
Your undercarriage looks brilliant as usually it is really hard to come up with a way of getting it to lower and get the width of track that it should have with TSR2, so really well done.
I'll get a position for the CG from Chris tomorrow evening, we are off for another sortie. There are no ailerons so if Elevons are the same thing as Tailerons that is what we have got. The undercarriage is like Jordan's chest, it is false. Chris always knocks up an undercarriage for the ground shots. They simply unplug for flying. At 23 oz AUW no-one is doing a set quite that small but if they did Chris would have a set.
Aug 13, 2009, 04:26 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistling Watts
Here is a bit of History. In the front of this Group is Chris's original foam TSR2 with a Byron in, thats his lightning just behind.

That doesn't look big enough for his Lightning, It took 4 blokes to carry it out of the cornfield at Top Gun one year! I have sent Chris a copy to see if he can identify the venue and the year? By my reckoning 1991 (ish)
Aug 14, 2009, 02:42 AM
Thread OP
Chris thinks that TSR2 and the Lightning were built by the very talented Reg Smith. He was at the meeting which he thinks was at RAF Odiham in the late 80's and was organised by Alex Cornish-Testrial.

Chris's models, as I had suspected but wanted to make sure, were the massive Tornado in the middle and the big Me163 just behind it. Chris did contemplate a TSR2 at the time but couldn't get the undercarriage to be proper and practical.

The Tornado morphed into an equally huge Backfire which in turn was loaned to the Goosedale Museum along with a few other equally impressive airframes. I wonder what happened to all of those models when the museum went belly up.
Aug 14, 2009, 03:17 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert May
Chris thinks that TSR2 and the Lightning were built by the very talented Reg Smith. He was at the meeting which he thinks was at RAF Odiham in the late 80's and was organised by Alex Cornish-Testrial.

Chris's models, as I had suspected but wanted to make sure, were the massive Tornado in the middle and the big Me163 just behind it. Chris did contemplate a TSR2 at the time but couldn't get the undercarriage to be proper and practical.

The Tornado morphed into an equally huge Backfire which in turn was loaned to the Goosedale Museum along with a few other equally impressive airframes. I wonder what happened to all of those models when the museum went belly up.
Oh strewth yes! I forgot all about Reg 'Razor' Smith. I remember Chris's Lightning now, it was very much bigger. Was it at a topgun event when it did half a circuit and vanished behind some trees?

Quick Reply