Jul 23, 2009, 01:20 PM
"Spark Chaser"
Help!

Hobby Lobby A-7 Corsair II ARTF - ESC issues?

I've just tried flying my A-7 and I've experience some really bad throttle / esc issues. (poor thrust/RPM, hot batteries, surging)

From what I've read in other threads, this is due to a bad ESC or a mis-programmed ESC. Most likely incorrect timing. Does anyone know how to program this ESC?

TIA,
-Jim
to remove ads between posts
Jul 25, 2009, 06:02 PM
"Spark Chaser"

Programming of J-Power 45A ESC

The ESC I have looks like the one at the top of this picture:
http://www.jpower.hk/image/ESC.jpg

It says J-POWER ESC 45A on it and has a little daughter circuit board (BEC?) like in this image.

After a bit of experimenting and looking at various online ESC programming manuals, I think I found the manual for this ESC. In any event the beep / flow chart matched this manual.

The ESC manual on this page:
http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...2&pid=B2049176
http://www.bphobbies.com/pdf/bp/BP-45A-ESC.pdf

This flow chart of beeps appears to work correctly to program this ESC.

I set it up like this:
4S,
auto throttle,
no brake,
soft cutoff,
high RPM,
16KHz

The motor / fan now runs up to full speed and pulls about 33 Amps static.

Can anyone verify this is the correct programming guide for this ESC?
Sep 30, 2009, 08:37 PM

A7 Esc

Thanks for the info on the Hobby Lobby A7 ESC. Jokeane.
My throttle response has always been jerky and your info fixed it.
For you info: My A7 was so noisy when I first flew it that my friends said to not bring it back unless I corrected the situation. Upon close examination I saw that the fan blades were leaving a grove in the fan housing plus there was some vibration. I removed the fan unit/ motor by removing the rear motor hatch ( mine was very tight ) and then removing the adhesive around the fan unit using a 6 inch thin metal steel ruler with a radius ed edge. You still have to use pressure to get the unit out of the fuselage. I removed the fan and balanced it on a prop balancer using scotch tape as weights. Sticking the tape inside the fan unit webs will keep it there as the fan spins up.
I checked the vibration by holding the unit ( using a thick glove ) and spinning it up to about half throttle.
I did not use adhesive when re-installing the unit. I installed a rubber band around the leading edge of the housing ( about 1/4 inch wide ) to act as a grommet. When the foam hatch is reinstalled you will find the fan unit will not move. The A7 is really quite now and I get no complaints.