Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jul 23, 2009, 05:14 PM
Thread OP
thanks for the heads up about google sketch up........I messed around with it for awhile but didnt get to far. heres a shot of the original with some measurments, if anyone wants to put that info into sketch up or some other software please feel free. the fuse and verticals I made with the TLAR method so I dont really have any sketches or measurments.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 23, 2009, 05:20 PM
Thread OP
haha thats pretty cool matt. how is that airfoil working for you? is the step only on the top? also do you think the wingtips make any difference in flight characteristics?
thanks
Jul 23, 2009, 06:10 PM
Fill'er Up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve88r
haha thats pretty cool matt. how is that airfoil working for you? is the step only on the top? also do you think the wingtips make any difference in flight characteristics?
thanks
The wingtip absolutely make a difference for high speed, not so much for lower speeds under 60mph. On yours, with the ailerons going to the tips, it works great for slower speeds, especially near stall. I actually ripped the tip of the right wing on monday on a hard landing and I decided to throw it back up broken. That meant one wing was kinda like yours and the other was standard. At higher speeds, it did crazy maneuvers I could not do when it was normal. I think the damage was actually disrupting the tip vorticies at speed and it was getting weird lift characteristics at the tip, but whatever.

The airfoil is amazing. I always fly with at least a KF2 on all foamies, as it just works and adds rigidity to the wing. I was going for speed and an airfoil on top seems to work the best for me for speed.

My father in law has a funjet, which I traced to get the Fauxjet, and flying his and mine are almost undistinguishable in the air. Only thing is mine needs to have is the CG a bit further back to fly perfect, probably due to the center of lift differences between the Real and Faux. Even landing them is exactly the same.

There is one area the FunJet wins over the FauxJet... Durability. He cartwheeled his funjet on landing and it was fine. The FauxJ would disintegrate if it did that. +1 for elapor.
Last edited by mattyhawk; Jul 23, 2009 at 07:20 PM.
Jul 23, 2009, 07:26 PM
Fill'er Up!
As a side note, I think the nubs coming from the front of the wing is not such a major deal, probably adding drag. What I think really make a difference for high speed stability is leaving a bit of foam on the tip stationary by not taking the elevon to the wingtip.

Also, I am working on compiling the flight video I have of my v1.0 & v1.1, which I will post later.

I hope you don't mind me posting here, since I have wanted to share, but I wasn't ready to make a post. I figured i I made my own thread, I would be steppin' on this threads toes a bit. Just let me know if you want me to take a hike, I don't want to take from your build.

Matt
Jul 23, 2009, 08:17 PM
Thread OP
your not steppin on anybodys toes, id be more than cool with you posting here or making your own thread. actually you already contributed alot of very useful info that im thankful for. I do agree with you about leaving some space between the tip chord and the elevon for high speed. I dont think my setup is going to be running in the 90s like yours but after I see how mine flies I think I may make another one with the wingtips like you mentioned and also add a step to the top of the wing. what did you make your fuse out of? is it one of those styrofoam gliders? also where did your cg end up? after some glide test mine came out to about 1.5" past the LE of the main wing. thanks again
Jul 23, 2009, 10:19 PM
Fill'er Up!
Quote:
your not steppin on anybodys toes, id be more than cool with you posting here or making your own thread. actually you already contributed alot of very useful info that im thankful for. I do agree with you about leaving some space between the tip chord and the elevon for high speed. I dont think my setup is going to be running in the 90s like yours but after I see how mine flies I think I may make another one with the wingtips like you mentioned and also add a step to the top of the wing. what did you make your fuse out of? is it one of those styrofoam gliders? also where did your cg end up? after some glide test mine came out to about 1.5" past the LE of the main wing. thanks again
Fuse is made from over the counter styrofoam packing material. I have loads of it laying around and it sands down easy, so it was the fastest and easiest method to make a fuse. Not elegant or fancy, but it worked well.

CG was about 1" - 1.25" back from the LE at the 30 degree turn of the wing. See picture.
Jul 23, 2009, 10:19 PM
Fly Hiiii
Very exiting thread. I am in
Jul 23, 2009, 11:29 PM
Fill'er Up!
Hey Steve88r,

When you fly it for the maiden, it is possible the plane will drop its nose as it slows down. This is a characteristic of the funjet, and I speculate it is from the shape of the wing and the long nose on it. If you cannot glide it at slow speed, you may need to shape your elevons like the FJ. I really want to know your flight report and it's flight characteristics.
Jul 24, 2009, 12:30 AM
Fill'er Up!
Here is the earlier video of the maiden and flight tests of the FauxJet.

Development of the Faux FunJet v1.0 (2 min 44 sec)
Last edited by mattyhawk; Jul 24, 2009 at 12:37 AM.
Jul 24, 2009, 07:06 AM
Thread OP
nice vid, looks like it flies very well. thanks for the heads up about the nose dip, at the end of your vid it looks like you really have it slowed down. Im suprized at how stable it was even at that speed. also my cg is exactly where yours is. I plan on doing the maiden when I get off work so I should get some results in later today. hopefully some more people will throw one together and share there info so we can really find out what works best.

thanks, steve
Jul 24, 2009, 09:31 AM
Fill'er Up!
Cool man, let us know.
Jul 26, 2009, 05:33 PM
Fill'er Up!
Steve88r, any news on the maiden?

Thought I would post some pics of my v2.0. I'm trying something different with the KF, using the fold over technique. v1.0 had just two pieces of FFF glued together and sanded at a 45 degree angle, making a point on the leading edge. I'll see which does better.

In the pics, you will see the wing tip pods, which I will be removing after a few flights to see it changes the flight characteristics.

Late!
Jul 27, 2009, 09:39 AM
Thread OP
nice nice, lookin real good matt. im lookin forward to hearing about the wingtips. well I maidened mine this morning and had some slight problems. first off the feild I maiden at is not too big but the area around it is huge and is covered in small shrubs and trees about 6' tall. I pretty much just use the feild for landings and fly in the airspace over the feild and surrounding area. I launched full throttle and it took off perfect no trim at all flying straight and level. I decided it was flying fine so I continued to take it up to about 200' and about 250' past the edge of the feild. at this point I put it into a tight turn to bring it back across the feild and almost instantly I knew something was wrong. the plane just kinda flopped around in the sky. I cut the throttle back to about 1/3 and desperatly tried to not dump it in out in the middle of the shrubs. I barley got control of it and managed to get it back over the feild where I brought it in. the first thing I saw was the left elevon was almost fully down with sticks neutral, I checked the servo and it turns out the gears were striped. It still worked but when enough force was applied it would change the neutral location of the servo arm. after that I really wanted to see it in the air so I put it back up at about 1/3 throttle doing real low and gentle circuits over the actual feild. from what I seen this plane flys super stable and glides very well even with the flatplate airfoil, im going to order some metal gear servos today so I can really open it up and see what it can do.
Jul 27, 2009, 07:41 PM
Fill'er Up!
Quote:
nice nice, lookin real good matt. im lookin forward to hearing about the wingtips. well I maidened mine this morning and had some slight problems...
I am really sorry to hear about your servo issues, it sounds like the actual flight went well other than that. It sounds like the airframe is stable, in fact stable enough to fly the plane with elevon issues. Keep up the good work!

Jul 27, 2009, 07:43 PM
Fill'er Up!
BTW Steve: those corona synthesized 72mhz receivers are awesome, huh? I have a bunch and love them.

Quick Reply