Aug 09, 2009, 08:06 AM
Thread OP
Looks like my gyros will be flying at a large fun fly called the Lazer Invitational with a mishmash of all type of aircraft and should be a lot of fun!!!

I will ge footage of that....that will be the 22nd and this Thursday the gyros will be at the Top O' NJ Funfly.

Dave
to remove ads between posts
Aug 19, 2009, 12:08 PM
RC Group therapist
3 days to go Dave!
Aug 19, 2009, 06:25 PM
Thread OP
Yeah baby!!! I am in a lot of pain today man....hope it does not carry over to Saturday. I have the DAG 60 ready for test hops....I dont think I can just take off with it.

The Profile is READY to ROCK! I have it tuned well now Mike! I should have some video compliments of Mrs Sofaman. By the way....I sent your regards via a hug and kiss for her B-day. I am still stuffed!

Thanks for the reply Mike!

Dave
Aug 20, 2009, 02:04 PM
Thread OP
Mike and everyone else......I smacked up the Kellett today. My motor was acting up on me. It was two fields over from me, the motor was dying and it was sinking. I should have just landed but I was trying to get it to the next field to save me some walking. As she sank down.....I thought I was in the next field as it was coming towards me. BUT the reality was that it was above the drainage ditch and it just disapeared from sight. When I got to it.....it was submerged in swamp water. Not sure if I will be flying in the show or not. The 60....must have had a airline fracture on the motor mount as it flew well....then started sounding funny. I landed nice and pretty but the motor mount was broken and was shaing up and down. My local hobby shop is close also. Not a good day. I must fine a decent motor for this profile, it is driving me nuts.

Dave
Aug 20, 2009, 02:37 PM
RC Group therapist
Hi Dave,
Sorry to hear that you had a less than optimal day at the field. Hang in there my Gyro brother. Sometimes you're the bug, and sometimes you're the windscreen.
Regards,
-Mike
Aug 20, 2009, 03:38 PM
Closed Account
Hi Dave,

Awe man! That's real bad luck today, after all that effort too, bummer!
Sorry to hear about your pain as well, have some windscreen days mate, you deserve them, Cheers,

regards, Al
Aug 20, 2009, 10:15 PM
Thread OP
I got home...cleared the cobwebs from my head. Replaced my reciever and checked my servos. All is well. I guess that one advantage of having a slimer is that the water was repelled from the oil. I changed the prop and will give her a try in the morning.....at the park.

The tail strike from the ditch diving is fixed also.

No DAG 60 flying on Saturday. Kellett, Speedy Bee and maybe the RPG if I finish the repairs and motor/ESC install.

So....that's it from me for now. I got lots of work ahead of me....not much time either.

Dave
Aug 22, 2009, 03:20 PM
Thread OP
Hahahahaha! We got rained out anyway!
Sep 04, 2009, 10:59 AM
Thread OP
Richie.....thanks so much for the motor!!!

You will see the muffler off my dead Magnum 52 has been installed and she is running well.

Thanks man!!!

Dave

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2Z3YeWnBuw
Sep 04, 2009, 01:36 PM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
WOW! That's one nice running motor. Have another one laying around Rich?!?!?
Sep 05, 2009, 05:21 PM
Thread OP
I think the nose cone is way too large. On the ground....perfect tuned motor....low, mid and high. In the air is a different story. Running slow.....it will show midrange throttle....but at a certain speed...the mid dies off. You have to choose wide open and or idle and land. I flew it around for a bit....but motor died at a low altitude and she went in a little hard. Sorry....nbo video unless one of my friends shot some. Not sure. Testing the engine with no nose cone soon......

Dave
Sep 10, 2009, 10:07 AM
Thread OP
The NEAT Fair is in a week. I hope to fly there if they can squeeze me in. So....the Kellett is being converted to electric. With the A123 cells, I will use 5S1P A123 Cells producing over 6 lbs of thrust. I have not test flown it yet.....I hope to this weekend. I will post some photos once I have her nice and pretty.

dave
Sep 13, 2009, 11:06 AM
Thread OP

E Conversion!!!!

I had to save my Kellett from the premature death due to oil contamination. I had to add a new nose to it for the electric conversion for proper balance. caould not remove the landing gear so it was tricky replacing oil soaked wood and still making it pretty. Some CF rod was added here and there for support.

The NEAT Fair is coming up this weekend and want to fly it there so I had to work fast. I used an old Hobby City Motor equal to an AXI 2828-12.

I will give it a test flight tomorrow. I think with some throttle management, I should have a decent flight.

Motor: KD 36-12XL Brushless Outrunner 770Kv
ESC: Pheonix 80
Battery: 5S1P A123
Prop: APC 11x7
Weight: 5 lbs
Thrust: 6.25 lbs
Last edited by imsofaman; Sep 13, 2009 at 12:54 PM.
Sep 13, 2009, 11:22 AM
RC Group therapist
Hi Dave,
I like the conversion you're doing there! I enjoy the way you just decide to change a design, and then bang it out in a couple of days. I am very much looking forward to starting a few projects of my own. The first being a "DPK" (Dave's Profile Kellett). Keep up the great work my GyroBrother!!
Regards,
-Mike
Sep 13, 2009, 12:06 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Mike. I just love my Profile Kellett and want to be able to fly it this weekend and save it from the slimer desease. Yeah....I will grab something and just change it in a heart beat. But....I generally know, elctronics wise, what will and what wont if it is below a 60 size. The 60 size electronics are a little out of my relm of experience and my price range. 25 and 40 size aircraft....that is my comfort zone.

Thanks for your kind words and replies. I will post a flight report soon.

Dave

Quick Reply