Sep 12, 2001, 08:20 PM
Thread OP

Good News Hornet Came ! ! !

The good news is I got my Hornet today, the bad news is I probably won't have the time to fool with it till the weekend. Now I've got to figure out what to get for the electronics. Thinking of the GWS reciever and servos. What are you guys using?

Jerry in South Dakota
to remove ads between posts
Sep 12, 2001, 11:32 PM
The GWS Rx and gyro work very well and unless you plan to convert yours to CP soon or add a heading-hold gyro, they are the ticket.

On servos, I'd personally recommend the Hitec HS-50's or HS-55's for servos over the GWS CS-20/21 or CS-10 types as the Hitec servos draw less current and will load the BEC less, giving you more flight time.

Don't take this as a pan of the GWS servos... I have more CS-20's, CS-21's, CS-10's, MX-30's, S-80's, S-90's, and the Expert version of the GWS servos than all my other servos put together. Its just that in this application, I recommend the HS-50's first, HS-55's second.

Greg Stewart (Minneapolis, MN, USA)
Sep 13, 2001, 10:09 AM
I know I'll draw heat for this, but personally I've stripped 3 HS-50's using them in the Hornet. The final straw was when my elevator servo crapped out while I was trimming it in the living room and the ship came flying directly at me, completely uncontrollable, breaking the main blades and my Tx antenna. While I've just recently begun using them in my Hornet, I've never had any problems with the Cirrus CS-10BB (right model#? the "molecular" type). I've logged 50-60 flights with these and no problems. Flight times stay the same and they are even moderately cheaper than the HS-50s.

/Loren
Sep 13, 2001, 01:55 PM
jk
jk

HS-50's VS C-10BB

i was considering the Cirrus CS-10BB's in my CF hornet since they're a little smaller/lighter than the hitecs, but after talking with walt about them, it appears that they have more slop in the geartrain than the HS-50's. while this might work ok in the FP hornet, he advised me that they probably wouldn't be suitable for the CP version.

i might add that i've never had a problem with the Hitecs except for one occasion where it was my fault for severely crashing and breaking one. they've survived other bad crashes though, so their reliabilty hasn't been a problem for me at all. whatever you decide between the two will probably work fine, i just lean toward the hitecs and use them exclusively in all five of my micros.

$0.02
Last edited by jk; Sep 13, 2001 at 01:59 PM.

Quick Reply