Thread Tools
Apr 08, 2010, 11:56 PM
Got Another Prop?
WadesRC's Avatar
Fascinating thread!!!
I can't help but wonder if the balancer works by mounting the fan to a sensitive load cell and triggering the strobe off the signal???

I love to tinker and I sure hope the wife does not notice her electronic food scales has been gutted, eh, . . I meant, “What did you lose this time dear?”
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Apr 09, 2010, 05:10 PM
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesrc
fascinating thread!!!
I can't help but wonder if the balancer works by mounting the fan to a sensitive load cell and triggering the strobe off the signal???

I love to tinker and i sure hope the wife does not notice her electronic food scales has been gutted, eh, . . I meant, “what did you lose this time dear?”

lmao:d
Apr 21, 2010, 11:50 AM
Registered User
Just spun up a balanced fan from Don. I've never heard a fan sound this good or seen one run this smooth. None of my attempts at static balancing have ever even come remotely close to this. Thanks Don. Thanks Bob.
Apr 21, 2010, 01:48 PM
Got Another Prop?
WadesRC's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommythecat
Just spun up a balanced fan from Don. I've never heard a fan sound this good or seen one run this smooth. None of my attempts at static balancing have ever even come remotely close to this. Thanks Don. Thanks Bob.
Same goes for me! I love the efficiency of a Don's balanced motor/fan unit and the sound is so cool; more like a "Whoosh" rather than that annoying screeching sound. When I throttle back to cruise, you can barely hear the fan.
Apr 21, 2010, 04:31 PM
Indoor Free Flight Modeler
Glad you guys are happy
Apr 28, 2010, 06:59 AM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
ozzi supercub's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by WadesRC
Fascinating thread!!!
I can't help but wonder if the balancer works by mounting the fan to a sensitive load cell and triggering the strobe off the signal???

I love to tinker and I sure hope the wife does not notice her electronic food scales has been gutted, eh, . . I meant, “What did you lose this time dear?”
I'm pretty sure thats how it works. A friend of mine said he could make one up quite easily.
May 06, 2010, 07:45 PM
Lots foam, so little time
Depron Dave's Avatar

Just got mine.....


Just got my balancer from Bob. (Thanks Bob)
I'm going to try a edo fan friday night before I go home from the studio.

What prompted me to finally buy one is the flawless fans I received from Don.
After numerous static trys and run and tape methods on the impellers, I couldn't take it anymore
I'm working on a few different edf's right now.
The workload is as follows...
6 Edo units
1 6904 vibrating through midrange...
1 wemo pro with the new Arc (ooooooooooo)
3 70mm chinese knock offs
(I'm not totally comfortable letting my 11 yearold fly my nicer jets...yet.
To be fair he flew my New Habu w/6904 2w 20 from takeoff through landing with only 2 bounces.....I'm so proud)

The units I have from Don are the benchmark!
May 06, 2010, 07:46 PM
Lots foam, so little time
Depron Dave's Avatar
Are those polaroid parts in there?
Jul 22, 2010, 09:36 PM
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
I just checked the price for the balancer (including shipping) and the price was $212. Is that what you paid Don?
Jul 22, 2010, 09:38 PM
Indoor Free Flight Modeler
Sounds about right.

Don
Jul 26, 2010, 11:35 PM
deltas are cool
AIR SALLY's Avatar
where can these be bought ?
Jul 26, 2010, 11:41 PM
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY
where can these be bought ?

They are made in England. Go to the first post in the thread for the link.
Jul 27, 2010, 04:18 PM
Yes..ok..maybe..lol.....
Have a Wemo 50mm fan/ wicked 5400 that Don balanced....Sounds like a gem!!! wired up the esc to the motor too..Plug and play!!
Sep 12, 2010, 08:47 AM
Registered User
Hi Guys any chance of a before and after video? Be nice to hear the difference balancing makes.
Sep 14, 2010, 12:32 PM
Registered User
V Nice toy..
But if one removes or even moves the motor for any reason .. the balance is Gone?
Not a problem if one owns a balancer, but if not?


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MF 480 rotor balancing Olivier Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 2 Sep 13, 2010 01:00 PM
Sub-Rotor balancing on Corona Orion_V Electric Heli Talk 11 Jun 27, 2003 09:46 PM
Corona Sub Rotor Balancing ??? johnitahoe Electric Heli Talk 2 May 26, 2002 06:42 PM
Balance GWS EDF-50 Rotor GoEFlight Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 0 Apr 02, 2002 10:08 PM
Rotor Balancing WKoltis Electric Heli Talk 4 Nov 02, 2001 12:05 PM