scratch built 50mm 34"ws panther..600W!! - RC Groups
Jul 18, 2009, 09:46 PM
its TALON TIME!
Discussion

scratch built 50mm 34"ws panther..600W!!

heres a little thread on my latest distraction from my larger jets! i get side tracked easy..and heres why! i built this little guy in my hotel room on a long work trip. 34" ws, 28" long. about the size of a alfa model. fan is a micro shroud(50mm) and a alfa 5 blade copy..which is accualy made better and runs alot more true than a accual alfa rotor...motor is a Dons Rc 5400 wicked extreme motor, dons pentium 40A esc, and a rhino 2350 20C 4s. weight is a brick like 35oz(for its size! ) and it was doplered today at 110mph. RPM is 64K, and amps/watts are 40A, 600W. its very quiet, and powers the panther very well! its based on plans from beanie, but i shrunk the plans down and made alot of changes for scale. re did the wing outline and stab, and changed the tail and fuse some too. came up with my own airfoils, and the wings and stab are carved from contest balsa. ive got about 2.5 deg of washout in the tips. i made my own canopy plug and canopy, and the pilot is a boomers 1/18 scale...probably a little too small, but its all i had! didnt want some big head in there either! the fuse was built with a combo of depron formers, balsa stringers, and fan fold blue foam skin. the entire model is glassed, and paint is model masters dark sea blue. clear is a WBPU satin. used alum tape for natural metal LE's and buffed with scotchbrite. im really happy with the way it turned out, and i havnt picked a scheme yet, so i left her in fatory trim for now ive got a few small loose ends to finish involving hatches...(like always! ) i had thouht of donig some micro retracts, but after i passed up my desired weight..bty a whole lot...i decided to not add more weight. also, ive built scale flaps into her, and ive hinged them, but fixed them in up position for now. im sure ill hook them up at some point, even though it really dosnt need them. comes in pretty nice, and has a great glide. even at 35oz, the vertical is awsome for a little 50mm fan. this has been a very rewarding little project, as all scratch builds are. and i love the way it tracks solid, and looks great in the sky. got to love the korean war birds...and grummans in general heres a couple links to some build pics, and some pics of her with my 1KW alfa sabre

VID clip link..

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1081727

build pic links

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...5#post11815985

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...7#post11872737
to remove ads between posts
Jul 19, 2009, 08:17 AM
Very nice...

The F9F has been a favorite of mine.
Jul 19, 2009, 08:48 AM
Team White Llama!
Hey CN do you like panthers?

man i didn't think the wicked extreme could dishout 600 watts, Perhaps it's time for me to try it on 4s.....
Jul 19, 2009, 11:41 AM
its TALON TIME!
thanks guys! the little panther is a great flyer too. i went with a 50mm fan because i could get a scale tail pipe size, and pretty close to scale inlets and heck, 110mph for a 50mm might be some kind of record!
Jul 19, 2009, 02:53 PM
EDF Jet Jam 2017, June 15-18
Excellent work CN
Jul 19, 2009, 03:27 PM
My project: FAIREY DELTA 1
Great Panther!

Love the sound of the fan!
I like to place this motor in my rbc Lippisch P20 (already converted to micro

Where can I find that rotor you have?
Jul 19, 2009, 03:41 PM
its TALON TIME!
donsrc.com the 5400kv motor

its a 3mm shaft
Jul 19, 2009, 04:07 PM
What made you opt to use the alfa rotor over the wemo CN?
Jul 19, 2009, 05:20 PM
My project: FAIREY DELTA 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut
fan is a micro shroud(50mm) and a alfa 5 blade copy..which is accualy made better and runs alot more true than a accual alfa rotor.]

I'm sorry CN , No typo. Where can I get the Alfa copy?
Jul 19, 2009, 05:27 PM
Big gov never Works
Thats just too cool, Brent! My Panther had a problem for the maiden. The right ail servo(brand new Fut micro HS) held the ail full down. Was working fine minutes earlier. I hope it's the outside connector.

Ahhh..now I know where the design came from. Beanie has some great ones.

Fuzz
Jul 19, 2009, 06:15 PM
Carbon fiber is our friend
I've seen some pretty good repairs made in a motel room, but I've never seen a whole plane built in one! Nice work. That little dude rips!

Steve C
Jul 19, 2009, 08:01 PM
its TALON TIME!
donsrc.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik v. Schaik
I'm sorry CN , No typo. Where can I get the Alfa copy?
Jul 19, 2009, 08:02 PM
its TALON TIME!
i didnt know wemo had a 3mm adapter for the micro. otherwise, i probably would have gone that route. i didnt know until oliver from wemo sent me a pm im going to try the micro rotor out too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Cox
What made you opt to use the alfa rotor over the wemo CN?
Jul 19, 2009, 08:15 PM
Fast Jets for Fast times
Awesome work C/N for a hotel build, by the way how did you pack your work shop and get it in there?
Jul 19, 2009, 09:12 PM
Cool CN, let me know how it works.

Lmeano....I would like to have seen the look on the housekeeping crew faces as they tried to figure out what CN was up too!
Last edited by Kevin Cox; Jul 20, 2009 at 06:20 AM. Reason: grammar

Quick Reply