Savage F-4 Phantom II - Now Available! - Page 9 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Nov 29, 2009, 10:49 PM
deltas are cool
AIR SALLY's Avatar
nice ...what color is the blue monocoat? it looks really close ..model masters has a scale BA blue in spray cans .but i dont know if it matches the monocoat. looks great .
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Nov 30, 2009, 11:18 AM
EDF Jet Jam 2017, June 15-18th
eatond's Avatar
Hi Dan,
Wow, that bird looks great.

Dan Eaton
Nov 30, 2009, 03:46 PM
It wasn't me...
DanSavage's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut
drop dead sexy!!!!!!!!!!!! got to LOVE blue angel schemes...im this close to doing my cougar in BA colors.
Thanks. I'm glad I applied this scheme, though I don't think I'll do it again.

The BA scheme looks simple, but it's not. I was surprised how much detail needed to be added to match the photos of the real thing.

Blue, yellow, silver, black and chrome. White, too , if you count the background for the BA crest.

Dan
Nov 30, 2009, 03:50 PM
It wasn't me...
DanSavage's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daren
Very cool, Dan. The markings turned out nice. I'm sure the Lusterkote matches something, just not the Moneykote it's supposed to.

Daren
Thanks. I'm really happy with how the markings turned out, thank you very much.

Yeah. I even got two different shades of MoneyKote. You can't really tell they're different until you look at the bottom of the model. Then, you see that the fuse is one color and the wings are another. And, neither one matches the paint.

By the time I'd discovered it, I was already done with the fuse and tail feathers and there was no way I was going to peel off all of that. Luckily, I still had some matching MoneyKote for the inlet splitters.

There's a lot to be said for painting the entire model...
Nov 30, 2009, 03:52 PM
It wasn't me...
DanSavage's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY
nice ...what color is the blue monocoat? it looks really close ..model masters has a scale BA blue in spray cans .but i dont know if it matches the monocoat. looks great .
Insignia Blue. I did think about using the Model Masters paint, but the spray cans are really teeny and it would have taken at least 5 or 6 to cover the entire model. I didn't have an airbrush or spray gun, so obtaining some BA match paint in cans was out of the question.

I bought a new airbrush this weekend that Santa is going to leave under my tree, so I will be able to paint in the future.

Thanks!
Dec 01, 2009, 01:55 AM
Registered User
Daren's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSavage
Thanks. I'm really happy with how the markings turned out, thank you very much.

Yeah. I even got two different shades of MoneyKote. You can't really tell they're different until you look at the bottom of the model. Then, you see that the fuse is one color and the wings are another. And, neither one matches the paint.

By the time I'd discovered it, I was already done with the fuse and tail feathers and there was no way I was going to peel off all of that. Luckily, I still had some matching MoneyKote for the inlet splitters.

There's a lot to be said for painting the entire model...
You're welcome. I probably wouldn't have peeled it off either. It would seem too much like moving backwards rather than pressing on to more important things, like FLYING!

It really is looking very nice. While it is based on my prototype, it really is a different model; and that's a good thing!

Daren
Dec 01, 2009, 03:03 AM
deltas are cool
AIR SALLY's Avatar
the BA crest is the hard part...it look killer i like it ...i painted my Draken with 2 cans of MM ..but the Green i used cover very good .
Dec 01, 2009, 03:20 PM
It wasn't me...
DanSavage's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daren
You're welcome. I probably wouldn't have peeled it off either. It would seem too much like moving backwards rather than pressing on to more important things, like FLYING!

It really is looking very nice. While it is based on my prototype, it really is a different model; and that's a good thing!

Daren
Yeah, the progress on this model has been slow enough as it is without taking a giant step backwards like that.

Thanks.
Dec 01, 2009, 03:24 PM
It wasn't me...
DanSavage's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY
the BA crest is the hard part...it look killer i like it ...i painted my Draken with 2 cans of MM ..but the Green i used cover very good .
Thanks. I drew it in Adobe Illustrator years ago for my A-4. It's got tons of detail that doesn't show up when printed at model size.
Dec 01, 2009, 08:03 PM
Suspended Account
lavochkin's Avatar
Congrats Dan!!! This one is another real beauty!!!!!! It looks killer in that B/A scheme. I hope your maiden goes well.
Dec 01, 2009, 09:47 PM
its TALON TIME!
corsair nut's Avatar
what..joe likes a BA scheme...say it isnt so!!
Dec 02, 2009, 01:08 AM
Suspended Account
lavochkin's Avatar
Yeah on a phantom or F-18, but not the oldies. Im not a navy fan, but an airforce guy so I am very partial to the Thunderbirds.
Dec 02, 2009, 03:21 PM
It wasn't me...
DanSavage's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavochkin
Congrats Dan!!! This one is another real beauty!!!!!! It looks killer in that B/A scheme. I hope your maiden goes well.
Thanks, Joe.

I'm going to try to spend some time this week getting it ready to take out to the field for some real beauty shots and taxi tests. If all goes well, then the test flight may occur next weekend.
Dec 02, 2009, 06:29 PM
Official Boat Bum
Eddie P's Avatar
Dan, your BA F-4 looks sweet! Nice details and covering. Looking forward to some in flight shots
Dec 02, 2009, 10:28 PM
It wasn't me...
DanSavage's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie P
Dan, your BA F-4 looks sweet! Nice details and covering. Looking forward to some in flight shots
Thanks, Eddie.

As I was writing the above post talking about test flight day, I got the butterflies in my stomach. Now, there's something I haven't felt for a long, long time.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
F-4 Phantom II for a first timer? aeroplancek Pusher Prop Jet Models 3 Dec 16, 2005 09:58 AM
For Sale Yellow Aircraft F-4 Phantom II - NIB skyhawk Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 6 Aug 23, 2005 08:00 PM
Parkflyer F-4 Phantom II Astrix Parkflyers 0 Jun 06, 2005 08:44 PM
Midi F-4 Phantom II construction jet_jer Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 34 May 05, 2003 04:58 PM
F-4 Phantom II - First look... Daren Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 139 Mar 18, 2002 01:27 PM