Jul 18, 2009, 02:01 PM
It wasn't me...
Thread OP
Discussion

Savage F-4 Phantom II - Now Available!

I am building an F-4 Phantom II.

This is an enlarged and refined version of the F-4 Phantom II that my brother Daren designed and built for the 2002 EDF Design Contest. (See: Daren's F-4)

His model was designed to accept the old Kyosho 75mm fan used in their F-16 and T-33. This model is designed to accept a single 90mm fan.

It is an all-wood, built-up model designed for small retracts like the JHH or Spring Air 602.

It has a molded fiberglass nose cone (J-model) and tailcone which simulates a twin-engine model.

Basic Specifications:

Length: 50-1/2" inches
Wingspan: 33-1/2" inches
Wing Area: 383 sq. in.
Projected Weight: 64-96 oz.
Projected Wing Loading: 24-36 oz./sq. ft.
Fan Unit/Motor: 90mm/540 Brushless (1-Req.)
Batteries: 5s-6s LIPO
Speed Controller: 80-90A Brushless
Channels: 3-6 (ailerons/flaperons, elevator, rudder/nose wheel steering, throttle)
Bulkheads: Lite Ply
Fuselage Sheeting: 1/8" Balsa
Tail feathers: 1/4" Balsa sheet
Wings: Balsa built-up w/ailerons

Here's some pics of the build so far.
Last edited by DanSavage; May 17, 2010 at 10:21 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 18, 2009, 02:21 PM
Suspended Account
Wow Dan!!! Another nice jet your making. Any idea on price once your all done?
It looks really cool!!!
Jul 18, 2009, 02:32 PM
This should be an even better flying jet than mine was. Mine was limited in speed due to the over-sized inlets, ni-cad batteries and size.

It was very easy to land and extremely stable, even in very high winds (my EDF contest "proof" flight was flown in about 20 mph winds).

Daren's F-4 Flight video & photos

I will be starting on mine as soon as I can order the wood. I do have my plastics and the glass work is nice and light. The canopy is very clear.

Congratulations Dan! Another winner, for sure!

Daren
Jul 18, 2009, 02:41 PM
It wasn't me...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavochkin
Wow Dan!!! Another nice jet your making. Any idea on price once your all done?
It looks really cool!!!
Thanks, Joe.

I sure hate to try to pull a number out at this early stage. It has fewer parts than the F-106 which makes the laser cutting cheaper, but has molded parts like the Su-27, which take time to lay up. So, while I can't give you a ball park figure, I can say it'll be reasonable.

Thanks, Daren.

Dan
Jul 18, 2009, 03:07 PM
Big gov never Works
Nice work, Dan! I wish I were set up using the 90mm stuff.

Fuzz
Jul 18, 2009, 07:04 PM
Very nice Dan!

Do you any pictures on how you did the mould for the nose cone? I really need to know how you guys do this .
Jul 19, 2009, 09:09 PM
Carbon fiber is our friend
Looking good. See, you're making the nose look right and that's the first thing I notice when I look at some of the other Phantoms out there. If that's wrong, I loose interest quickly

Can't wait to see it finished.

Steve C
Jul 20, 2009, 08:43 AM
EDF Jet Jam 2019, June 13-16
Hi Dan,
That's going to be a nice kit that fills a void in the 90mm jets that you can get. I' ve been thinking about designing a 90m Phantom but now I don't have to. When's it going to be available?

Dan Eaton
Jul 20, 2009, 09:06 AM
Excellent project, beautiful building techniques
Jul 20, 2009, 10:14 AM
It wasn't me...
Thread OP
Thanks, Fuzz.

Kevin,
I looked but I didn't take any pics of molding process. Give me a couple of days and I'll post some pics of the parting boards and a description of what I did. It's not difficult, but there are some pitfalls to avoid.

Steve,
Thanks. I know what you mean.

Dan,
Thanks. I'm not sure when it'll be available. My building time is pretty limited to weekends right now because I've been working a new job that's taking up a lot of my time during the week. It was such a fantastic opportunity, that I couldn't say no. I'd like to think that kits should be available by the fall, if there's enough interest,

Larry,
Thanks. It's gone together really quickly. It only took about three days to frame up the fuselage. I've pulled it up from the building board. Here's what it looks like now. Here's a pic of why I didn't make more progress this weekend. Our old water heater sprung a leak. Since I didn't want to have clean up after a flood, we decided that sooner was better than later.
Jul 20, 2009, 10:28 AM
Very nice
I love working with wood. I used to scratch build but do not have the time anymore. Cannot wait to see er done!

Scott
Jul 20, 2009, 10:56 AM
Jul 20, 2009, 12:39 PM
EDF rules... :)
Nice work Dan and Daren.

Eric B.
Jul 20, 2009, 12:58 PM
smug in granny panties
awesome! not to mention a easily budgeted build for these times! A much needed thing!

Barry
Jul 20, 2009, 01:02 PM
Dont forget the velcro straps
very cool! ive got the plans for Ed waltrip's 90mm F-4, and he slightly enlarged it to twin 70's for me....still havnt built it....sheesh. F-4's are cool birds. some day ill get to ed's. sure would be cool if it was all lazer cut like that!

Quick Reply