This thread is privately moderated by drfish, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 18, 2009, 12:41 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Stevens Aero Edge 540 on A123!

So a few weeks ago I finally finisehd putting together my Stevens Aero Edge 540. Gear for maiden was

Scorpion 3020-12
Suppo 50A ESC
Xoar 11x5 prop
4S A123-2300 (DeWalt cells)

First flight went well - unlimited vertical available. Light aerobatics about 7 minutes before I called it quits.

Second flight went fairly well, until the right side of the elevator decided it did not want to continue along with the plane! After I regained my self control I was able to land with no more significant damage.

I rebuilt the elevator by sheeting both top and bottom - it is NOT going to break again! Remaiden went pretty well - getting solid 10 minutes out of each 4s battery.

Flew a few more times over the following week, then busted the prop earlier this week. After reading some posts about MUCH bigger props on this motor, I decided to try a bigger prop, just to see how it went..

so I put on an APC 13x6.5..

WHAT a difference! Night and Day - somehow the plane felt more stable, more controlable. still easily unlimited vertical, though I think now that unlimted vert comes on at about 2/3 throttle. Cruising is around 1/2, maby less. Just seems to fly throught the air nicer.

I had cut back my timer for these flights, fearing I would burn more battery wtih the larger prop, but each flight ended up about 9 min due to missed landings, and still batteries only took back about 17-1800 mah. Drained to drop off they will take back 2200+

I did have to also beef up the rigth gear mount - it had ripped its way back through the fuselage. I suspect I will eventually need to do the same on the left side, but it is really hard to get into where the reinforcement needs to go, so I am going to wait until I have to to do it. Actually easier with a small hole in the side where the gear rips through!

On the whole, I really am happy with this plane. I hope to get a few more flights in this weekend and see if the new prop size really is better, or if I just had a really good day last time out!
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply