Jul 15, 2009, 06:11 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

How to hand launch R4U Corsair plane?

Can anyone explain me how to do a hand launch? I have done taking off the ground but i never tried hand launching.

Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Jul 15, 2009, 06:29 PM
I hold mine just behind the wing. Run throttle up to about 75% and give it a toss at about 30 degree up angle. Mine is trimmed out to fly straight and level at 50% throttle so at 75% and a gentle toss it climbs out pretty easy.
Jul 15, 2009, 06:57 PM
Thread OP
Any video tutorials available ?
Jul 15, 2009, 07:02 PM
Not mine, but this is what my lauches look like.
Mike's Parkzone Corsair Hand Launch (2 min 53 sec)
Jul 15, 2009, 07:02 PM
Foam bounces...
It's not that hard. Just run the throttle up to 75 - 100% and throw.
Jul 15, 2009, 07:20 PM
Thread OP
So throttle up t0 75-100 % and throw straight in to the wind but when do you apply elevators?
Jul 15, 2009, 07:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilet
So throttle up t0 75-100 % and throw straight in to the wind but when do you apply elevators?
Preferably before she hits the ground! Sry could not resist-- just clowning. It really is not so tough just stay cool and give her a good firm but not massive toss at a slight upward angle with throttle somewhere near 75% and off you go. Practice by slowing to near stall and climd out at the throttle setting you wish to try your hand launch at-- you can also slow to near stall and remove your throwing hand from the Trans, making a throwing motion and returning to the controls to help FIND your way back before you toss close to the ground--GL. And yes it looks silly throwing air but can save your bird from a dirt snack!
Jul 15, 2009, 08:03 PM
Thread OP
some questions i wanna ask

1) How about the throttle trim ? should i put it on lowest position or in the middle for extra power?
2)Should I hand launch it myself, or someone else can do it for me and then i will control it myself.
3) any other tips i should know to make sure my plane hand launches properly.
Jul 15, 2009, 08:46 PM
Foam bounces...
Throttle trim should always be all the way down. No reason to bring it up.

Either hand launch yourself or a friend. Having a friend who knows how to launch it is good but sometimes they're a worse throw than you.

Throttle up, chuck it straight into the wind with the nose slightly up.

You'll be nervous before your first throw, but after that, it's really easy.
Jul 15, 2009, 09:00 PM
I always keep a little up elevator when doing my own hand launches but then if it starts to stall you have to know to give a bit of down elevator. It's really not hard. there are some really funny vids on how not to do it on Youtube.com When I do hand launches I always do it left handed and i throw like a girl left handed and it always works. i don't trust my left thumb on the sticks. Just do like the vid and you'll be fine. Too often when other inexperienced people throw them for you they throw it too weakly or too strong.

Regards,
Alan
Jul 15, 2009, 09:01 PM
Thread OP
ok once I throw the plane up then i will apply elevator so the plane will climb altitude once i gained enough altitude then i will make my turns.
Jul 15, 2009, 09:28 PM
Quote:
ok once I throw the plane up then i will apply elevator so the plane will climb altitude once i gained enough altitude then i will make my turns.
I think you've got it. IMO more throttle is better than less. You can always reduce throttle but if you look at most of the crappy hand launches on youtube you will see that they tried to launch w/ too little throttle and practically threw it straight up. Once you've done one you will realize that it is easier than taking off from the ground.

Good Luck
Alan
Jul 15, 2009, 10:02 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiusedtoBe
I think you've got it. IMO more throttle is better than less. You can always reduce throttle but if you look at most of the crappy hand launches on youtube you will see that they tried to launch w/ too little throttle and practically threw it straight up. Once you've done one you will realize that it is easier than taking off from the ground.

Good Luck
Alan
So launch at full throttle the throttle trim is all the way down , launch against the wind , keep the plane level and throw the plane up in the air about 30 degree angle? then apply elevator , let the airplane gain altitude then make turns
Jul 15, 2009, 10:05 PM
Quote:
So launch at full throttle the throttle trim is all the way down , launch against the wind , keep the plane level and throw the plane up in the air about 30 degree angle? then apply elevator , let the airplane gain altitude then make turns

I keep my throttle trim slider at neutral. If you have the standard 4 channel radio, you don't have to mess w/ the throttle trim at all. Everything else you have is right on, Just make sure you don't gas it until you are ready to throw it.

Good Luck
Alan
Jul 15, 2009, 10:34 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiusedtoBe
I keep my throttle trim slider at neutral. If you have the standard 4 channel radio, you don't have to mess w/ the throttle trim at all. Everything else you have is right on, Just make sure you don't gas it until you are ready to throw it.

Good Luck
Alan
What do you mean by gas it?

Quick Reply