22" Xelion dlg, carbon disser - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jul 14, 2009, 03:17 PM
Build Log

22" Xelion dlg, carbon disser

Hi guys, as some of you may know i've been building small dlg's 22" to be exact, and they've been flying incredibly well, so i decided to go ahead and bite the bullet and make a 24" 4 channel version, i have a lot less dihedral, a stiffer wing from the last versions and it is only .3 gram heavier, a wing panel can support 6 pounds, which i think is prety impressive considering the panel only weighs 8 grams! anyways here are some pictures of prototypes past and present,
Ryan
to remove ads between posts
Jul 14, 2009, 03:25 PM
Blue Collar DLG Marshall
Those are really sweet !!!!

PP
Jul 14, 2009, 04:39 PM
Nice! More details!
Jul 14, 2009, 04:59 PM
Very nice!
Jul 14, 2009, 06:00 PM
usaf3kteam
Ryan when do I get one?
Jul 14, 2009, 08:28 PM
Do you want one George? i'll build one up to your launching standards if you want,
Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgeorge
Ryan when do I get one?
Jul 14, 2009, 08:45 PM
usaf3kteam
That would be very cool thanks.
Jul 14, 2009, 09:31 PM
Blue Collar DLG Marshall
I have to admit I too might be interested in aquiring one.
Jul 15, 2009, 12:30 AM

Xelion v2 2 channel

Hi Guys, here is the Xelion 2 channel v3, a carbon tow enhanced pod, along with a piece of FG covering the tow for ultimate strength, and to get rid of that danged noseweight! Now with less dihedral, a stiffer wing, less incedence, a little bit more philips entry, and undercamber to make the glide a bit better. we'll see if the undercamber works or not, or if it hurts launch too much... also a pylon mounted wing for cleaner airflow, i am working on a composite pod, looking at doing a fiberglass/carbon tow disser pod, going for ultimate strength and a nice looking shape, i have the plug carved, just have to get around to making a mold.
anyways, here is the v3 2ch Xelion,

ryan
Jul 15, 2009, 12:25 PM

New 4 channel wings

HI Guys,
new update,
i decided to ditch the last pair of wings because the kicker i used to make the foam glue dry, yes i said dry, not dry faster, but dry, ate the foam and it does not have a smooth surface anymore, so i built a new wing using epoxy, and it has turned out .2 grams heavier after joining but much stiffer and no brittle. pictures to come,
i would be willing to make a few of these to sell if anyone is interested, i need to do a lot more work and testing on the 4 channel before i can agree to sell any of those,
ryan
Jul 15, 2009, 02:10 PM
Lower??
Ryan... I told you, it just needs more GRUE! No but really, those are little guys are looking pretty flippin sweet. I do like the idea of a 4ch version ;-)

-Matt
Jul 15, 2009, 02:12 PM
Transplant Chey WY from Reno
What is your tailboom source, and sizes? Light?
Jul 15, 2009, 04:49 PM
Hi,
I just kind of went with what i had, it light, thin walled, non tapered, about 5mm outer diamteter and a 3.5mm inner diameter, i know it's not the lightest but it's sure strong. i have looked at the tapered tubes from CST, they look promising.
on a different note,
i just finished the 4 channel v2 wing, and it is Really stiff, and is about 3 grams lighter, the whole plane is a lot lighter than the last few, but it is equally as strong, i tried something new with the wings, we'll see how it turns out.....pics coming of the new wing,
ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermaln2
What is your tailboom source, and sizes? Light?
Jul 15, 2009, 04:53 PM
usaf3kteam
Ryan going DLGing about 4:00 today if you can get a ride over I got room for you.
Jul 15, 2009, 07:11 PM
thanks for the offer George,
i don't think i can make it today, maybe some other day hopefully....working on the new 4ch Xelion, it's coming out really nice, the wing weight is 16 grams after fiberglass servo covers, hinges, and control horns,
posting pics here in a little bit when i get the servos installed,
ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgeorge
Ryan going DLGing about 4:00 today if you can get a ride over I got room for you.